What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The fanfare towards the end of Rendezvous at Griffith Park Observatory sounds better on the OST. Something weird happened to the part when he runs up the stairs on the disc 1 version.

Far from the Madding Crowd - Craig Armstrong

I'm in love with the score, especially the ravishing violin-led "Opening". It really paints a musical story, it doesn't repeat themes verbatim but weaves an arresting spell. And Carey Mulligan has a lovely singing voice, i.e. "Let No Man Steal Your Thyme".

17 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Far from the Madding Crowd - Craig Armstrong

I'm in love with the score, especially the ravishing violin-led "Opening". It really paints a musical story, it doesn't repeat themes verbatim but weaves an arresting spell. And Carey Mulligan has a lovely singing voice, i.e. "Let No Man Steal Your Thyme".

I like this one a lot too!  Really good movie as well.

Abzû by Austin Wintory: Quite brilliant.

Ben-Hur by Miklós Rózsa: Very brilliant.

Take a Hard Ride - Jerry Goldsmith

1975 saw not only the end of the Vietnam war, the rise of Margaret Thatcher as leader of the British Conservative Party and the first mega blockbuster in 'Jaws' but on the opposite end of the relevance scale, the release of, brace yourself, the first blaxploitation kung fu western in Antonio Margheriti's 'Take A Hard Ride'. Why 20th Century Fox backed this production is not known, as the movie featuring genre stables Lee Van Cleef and Jim Brown expectedly was a stinker. But thankfully along the way they sent Jerry Goldsmith and Lionel Newman to England to punch up the already eclectic mix with a spunky experiment that fused ultra-melodic orchestral americana with weird early synthesizer stings and harsh dissonant percussive sounds á la `Planet of the Apes'. 

The result is a wonderfully cockeyed genre entry with probably Goldsmith's most beautiful western theme - that's against some stiff competition - and a load of explosive action cues full of manic percussion jitterbugs and mad woodwind runs that are of a strict 'we're never going to hear something like that again' variety. The more quiet parts are cast sparse but as usually, Goldsmith excels at writing for a limited ensemble, bringing out wondrous explorations of the handful of short motifs he concocted for, i. e. the buzzardly Van Cleef character. But as much as these are proof of the composer's top craftmanship and the uncompromising, sprawling Stravinskyesque explorations of instrumental frenzy typical for a time when composer's still reigned supreme over a movie's soundtrack, it's in the end the ace theme that stays with you and it's typical for Goldsmith's misfortune that often the best things he did where forever buried in movies that greeted only insomniacs on obscure tv channels in the dead of night.

Be that as it may, the above-linked video cuts together, without rhyme or reason, the many appearances of said tune which may or may not propel the still-doubting listener into acquiring LLL's still available edition, probably the best-sounding release of this particular gem.

On the subject of versions of Far From the Madding Crowd, the ballet score by Paul Reade is definitely worth a listen :-)

Discovering the new LSO album. Ah, Harry potter at least...

Watching for Jaws in the pool, right at my feet....

20180508_080624.jpg

20180508_080655.jpg

Empire Strikes Back. I've been converted. Finally realise why it's such a good score. Enjoyed this new OST (minus quality) so much more than the special edition for some reason. Loved Hyperspace in particular. Still think ANH is boring, though.

I wouldn't know! I don't have a working CD player anymore!

In seriousness, just never really got into Braveheart as far as Horner goodness goes. But I recognize my taste is indeed pretty gross.

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I wouldn't know! I don't have a working CD player anymore!

In seriousness, just never really got into Braveheart as far as Horner goodness goes. But I recognize my taste is indeed pretty gross.

You're like a real life Stanley Ipkiss (from the beginning of the movie, not the end!), you know that right?

10 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Start by listening to the three last tracks of the OST!

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You're like a real life Stanley Ipkiss (from the beginning of the movie, not the end!), you know that right?

Doesn't he have a working CD player either?

It's real fun, if you liked Ragnarok (Tim Jones did additional music for Ragnarok) then you might like this as well.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings. It's alright.

That and The Two Towers are my favourites. Return of the King is great, but I never liked it as much. SOME PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM CAN'T ACCEPT THIS. 

Image result for martin freeman gif hobbit

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Howard Shore has done two great scores in his life and the rest of his filmography is nothing but baloney. 

I get that you have different taste than most people but this is just ignorant disrespect

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That and The Two Towers are my favourites. Return of the King is great, but I never liked it as much. SOME PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM CAN'T ACCEPT THIS. 

Image result for martin freeman gif hobbit

Musically, Two Towers is my favourite. Although I have to admit Fellowship is probably a smoother listen.

Kaorl

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I was quoting my grandpa. He probably doesn't even like The Fly though. 

I like your grandpa. And it's not disrespectful to say you don't like music that you actually don't like. Some people on this forum don't get that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually haven't heard much of anything from Lord of the Rings. It's merely not my cup of tea genre-wise, and the themes I've heard didn't tickle my fancy. I more recognize Shore's talents from The Fly and Ed Wood. 

24 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Howard Shore has done two great scores in his life and the rest of his filmography is nothing but baloney. 

Hmmm. Okay. I would edit that to say Howard Shore has done two great trilogies in his life and the rest I have not yet explored.

Honestly, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are so awesome, epic, different from other soundtracks, and stacked that I love them all.

Please note that when I say that I mean in these ranks:

The Hobbit

Battle of the Five Armies

Brings all the themes together and uses them to their fullest. Just listened to this, fourth time in the past few weeks.

An Unexpected Journey

An awesome soundtrack to open the trilogy.

Desolation of Smaug

Again with these scores, the last is not bad but still great, just not as good as my favourites. 

The Lord of the Rings

The Two Towers

Basically on par with Fellowship, but a lot more exploration and interest goes through my head listening to it.

The Fellowship of the Ring

Pretty much tied for number one of the three with TTT here.

The Return of the King

Again with these scores, the last is not bad but still great, just not as good as my favourites.

32 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I get that you have different taste than most people but this is just ignorant disrespect

Yeah Kasey. You had me at baloney. Settle down, but keep fast to your opinion.

There are a number of other trilogies you could make from the rest of Shore's output that would far surpass those Hobbit scores.  They're ok but you can tell his heart wasn't nearly as in it as the first time...just like pretty much every aspect of those films.

I don't think it was a question of heart being in it. I think it was a confusion as to what this story actually should be about. There's all the detail but no focus.

Karol

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I like the Moon Runes motive.

That is Erebor theme with Rivendell arpeggios, mister! And don't you forget it!

Looking for Richard by Howard Shore: A very grim and somber proto-LotR work from Shore but there is some great choral work to be found here. I have come to like it more and more with each passing listen. Also this might have been my very first brush with Howard's music when I was 14 or 15. I remember borrowing this disc from the library and how I didn't like it all that much because it didn't have all those catchy theme tunes. How have my tastes changed since. I actually enjoy some somber and grim now!

Listening to Vertigo by Herrmann right now.  Today marks 60 years since the release of the film!

My favorite score by one of my favorite composers, and surely an "essential text" in the history of film scores as an art.