What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Jane Eyre by Bennie Herrmann

Karol

Fantastic, that one.

Anasatsia (1997) by Steven Flaherty (songs) and David Newman

A score I pull up when the weather starts to get a bit chilly.  The two songs really worth mentioning are Journey To The Past and the fantastic Once Upon A December.  Love that one, such a melody.  As for Newman's score, it is rather good.  The highlights are the Prologue and Reminiscing With Grandma,and perhaps also the ball music near the end.

Far And Away by John Williams

Thematically, this is one of Williams's very best efforts.  Pretty much the score that brought John's music to my attention.  Listening to it again after awhile, I do notice what some others have said, that the treatment of the themes is rather uncertain at times.  I had forgotten just how much electric elements are present.  The approach is a bit different, but it is interesting to see Williams predating Horner in electronically enhanced Celtic material.  There is no doubt in my mind, though, that the cues towards the end of the score are peak Williams.  No uncertainty here.

Miracle on 34th Street by Bruce Broughton

Basically Christmas bottled up in score form.  A very pleasant listen, with all orchestral and electronic elements (love me some tasteful FM E.Pianos) coming together quite nicely.

Some interesting flashes of brilliance from Broughton as well.  

14 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Fantastic, that one.

Anasatsia (1997) by Steven Flaherty (songs) and David Newman

A score I pull up when the weather starts to get a bit chilly.  The two songs really worth mentioning are Journey To The Past and the fantastic Once Upon A December.  Love that one, such a melody.  As for Newman's score, it is rather good.  The highlights are the Prologue and Reminiscing With Grandma,and perhaps also the ball music near the end.

I do wish a bit more of Newman's score was included on the album...didn't need to be the whole thing either, just, I don't know, 5-10 more minutes?

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

I do wish a bit more of Newman's score was included on the album...didn't need to be the whole thing either, just, I don't know, 5-10 more minutes?

Have you seen this?  I think it is all of it.

43 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Woah! Where the heck did this come from?!

YouTube, duh.;)

I don't know, actually.  Maybe someone isolated the score from the DVD or something.  

:music: Scott of the Antarctic by Ralph Vaughan Williams. Majestic and haunting, simply magnificent score. And the new RSNO performance and recording from Dutton Epoch are both fantastic. So happy I finally managed to get a copy of this SACD yesterday. This is pure magic, ladies and gentlemen, and I'm mesmerised.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Scott of the Antarctic by Ralph Vaughan Williams. Majestic and haunting, simply magnificent score. And the new RSNO performance and recording from Dutton Epoch are both fantastic. So happy I finally managed to get a copy of this SACD yesterday. This is pure magic, ladies and gentlemen, and I'm mesmerised.

Karol

I just got this but haven't listened yet! Now I'm pumped!

On 11/17/2018 at 12:47 PM, crocodile said:

:music: The Vikings (Tadlow) by Mario Nascimbene

Karol

How is it?

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard: The interesting JNH/Shyamalan collaborations ended with this score (and petered out with After Earth) which actually has pretty fantastic highlights. If only they had included the choir on the OST tracks it would be a nigh perfect distillation of the score on CD.

Dracula (Varese Deluxe Edition) by John Williams: Still on steady rotation. I have got the Main Title & Storm Sequence stuck in my head for days now. Oh those fantastic churning brooding string figures!

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith: This is definitely one of the best if not the best late career Goldsmith efforts and while the OST was very well put together I enjoy the complete score even more as usually even shorter Goldsmith cues between the setpieces have something cool and interesting going on.

54 minutes ago, Incanus said:

How is it?

The album, of course, is very good. The score itself is as well but your enjoyment will largely depend on whether you can tolerate the main theme being played millions of times in similar statements. It is intentional and he harmonises it in quite interesting ways sometimes...but it got on my nerves on my first listen. But I will give it another go in more quiet and relaxed environment.

It's what I call a Trevor Jones syndrome. You hear it and you think "oh that is a nice tune". But after a couple cues... "Do it one more time! I dare you!" ;)

Karol

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith: This is definitely one of the best if not the best late career Goldsmith efforts and while the OST was very well put together I enjoy the complete score even more as usually even shorter Goldsmith cues between the setpieces have something cool and interesting going on.

This used to be my holy grail by Goldsmith. Since we've got it, I kinda tend to think the score is indeed a bit overrated. "It's fun but adrift." The coolest aspect of it is the sheer power and the eerie drop synth.

9 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I just got this but haven't listened yet! Now I'm pumped!

The album is quite long but great all the way through. The only way it could gave been improved is through inclusion of Sinfonia Antarctica as well on as a bonus. But there's a superb recent recirding from Chandos so no harm done. :)

Karol

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This used to be my holy grail by Goldsmith. Since we've got it, I kinda tend to think the score is indeed a bit overrated. "It's fun but adrift." The coolest aspect of it is the sheer power and the eerie drop synth.

It’s pretty bland. Even the choir sounds bored!

The Village by James Newton Howard: On my personal Best of JNH list. Just a great combination of lyrical and melodic and eerie, primitive and frightening.

14 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

The Last Starfighter by Craig Safan

One of my favorite scores of all time!  I love that recent Intrada complete version.

The Girl in the Spider's Web by Roque Banos

Boring thriller music with a solid, if familiar, theme. Nice finale cue though.

At Eternity's Gate by Tatiana Lisovskaya

Nah.

Boy Erased by Saunder Jurriaans and Danny Bensi

Pleasant surprise.

Did quite a bit of JP listening at work and my brain just can't get around the chronological nature of LLL's set. While JW's ordering of suites on the OST is a standalone, never-to-be-repeated disaster of an experiment, the suites themselves are a work of genius. The same goes for the anniversary suites.

I had wrestled for ages with which presentation to go with, and I finally decided the only solution was to make two playlists. One is LLL's set with some minor modifications, and the other is the anniversary set with LLL cues filling the gaps.

The Avengers - Alan Silvestri. 

underwhelming except for a couple moments. I feel like this should have been more of a powerhouse score, being The Avengers and all...

58 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Did quite a bit of JP listening at work and my brain just can't get around the chronological nature of LLL's set. While JW's ordering of suites on the OST is a standalone, never-to-be-repeated disaster of an experiment, the suites themselves are a work of genius. The same goes for the anniversary suites.

I had wrestled for ages with which presentation to go with, and I finally decided the only solution was to make two playlists. One is LLL's set with some minor modifications, and the other is the anniversary set with LLL cues filling the gaps.

While I'm happy cues like The History Lesson are out and within our grasp, truth be told, I returned to the OST awhile ago (removing the aforementioned redundancy cues) and haven't missed the extra stuff since. 

I know, that cue was on that 20th Anniversary release or whatever that was, but I'm referring to the CD I've had for at least a decade! So the LLL set was the first time I heard that cue outside the film!

Avengers: Infinity War by Alan Silvestri

Select good action material, plenty of returning themes (as you might guess), and a very good suite.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Complete Score) by John Williams

Man the isolated score adds so many gems. I love Rey Trains With Lightsaber and Lesson Two, among added mentionables. A phenomenal score, especially in this format.

JERRY's JOHN POWELL PALOOZA

Horton Hears a Who by John Powell

Phenomenal. Great usage of choir, inspiring rhythmic brass, and the classic Powell vibe.

Rio by John Powell

Alright. A few more Latin American influences, a nice catchy style.

Ice Age: Continental Drift by John Powell

This is a very good Ice Age score, usurps Dawn of the Dinosaurs on my list, but still behind Meltdown. Superb stuff.

Tombstone by Bruce Broughton

I'm surprised Intrada expanded this later, as the OST's a tad long as it is! Once some minor trimming is done though, this is some durn fine cowboy scoring. The theme is an ear-worm for sure.

Ant-Man and the Wasp by Christophe Beck

Image result for ant man and the wasp soundtrack cover

Contrary to what many might suggest, this score is actually pretty good. There are some excellent action cues, some quirkier instances that embrace eclectic and more modernized styles (i.e. a Mario Kart-esque riff), and a few mellow tracks that add to the balance. It's pretty good, and makes me want to explore more Marvel/superhero scores, a genre which I am not to familiar with-score and film. Any suggestions?

Lost in Space by Bruce Broughton

Exhausting! The action music is ferocious and it takes awhile for things to calm down, and when we get some lovely bits then. Still, good stuff for what it is. I might rearrange the playlist so that the softer cues come in a bit earlier, perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised if the time pressure only intensified this action writing!

Both composers draw from a similar batch of sources in a not un-similar way. I basically mistook some cues for a Williams i couldn't place when some cues came up on my iPod in the early 2000's and when i saw what it was: gadzooks!