Incredible Video: John Williams and Steven Spielberg working on E.T. The Extra Terrestrial score

Jay

I saw this the other day. Absolutely love it. I would seriously pay big money just to watch the entire composition process Williams goes through on a single score...or, for that matter, to just hear what he plays on the piano along the way. There's a little footage like this in that old British ESB score documentary on YouTube, showing Williams composing "This Is Not a Cave", but it's far too brief.

Thanks for posting, I always love these fly on the wall style footage like this. Really a rare treat to see two masters at work.

I saw this the other day. Absolutely love it. I would seriously pay big money just to watch the entire composition process Williams goes through on a single score...or, for that matter, to just hear what he plays on the piano along the way. There's a little footage like this in that old British ESB score documentary on YouTube, showing Williams composing "This Is Not a Cave", but it's far too brief.

I saw this one too, and also a very good rare treat.

That's really great to see! A lot can be learned from this one minute of footage...just imagine seeing hours of this from various films throughout his career. A real model of professionalism, craftsmanship, and talent in perfect balance.

That was really lovely and interesting and I recall seeing a section of this on the DVD documentary. I wonder if they still work like that from time to time on a picture.

Well, MTV blocks out any viewer out of the US. Thanks MTV

Yeah, but if you click 'continue anyway', you'll get to see it.

I want more of this, please! MORE, MORE, MORE!!

I remember seeing on the DVD documentary how Williams was slightly uncomfortable that Spielberg was using a hand held camera to shoot the recording sessions of E.T. Williams wryly remarked, feeling very self conscious, something to the effect of being as comfortable as he would be if Spielberg was shooting him taking a shower. :P

?

The page just tells me to fuck off

I want more of this, please! MORE, MORE, MORE!!

Ironic, huh? Welcome to our world.

I love the old fashioned moviola JW was using at the time. And probably would be using today if they hadn't forced him to use more modern technology. I bet he still has one like that but adjusted to digital projecting. :P

So cool! Someone already mentioned that ESB documentary, but is there any other footage out there (JW or otherwise) from spotting sessions or of composers working with directors outside of recording? This stuff fascinates me, but it's not the kind of thing you get to see much of.

So cool! Someone already mentioned that ESB documentary, but is there any other footage out there (JW or otherwise) from spotting sessions or of composers working with directors outside of recording? This stuff fascinates me, but it's not the kind of thing you get to see much of.

There's nothing really intense. Behind the scenes footage from the scoring or spotting sessions is usually only snippets of talking if anything.

That ESB footage is pretty much the goldmine and it isn't much.

I love fly on the wall style footage. It says so much more than any interview or talking heads reminiscing.

I agree. I could watch this stuff all day.

I would watch 72hrs of this. All of the classic Spielberg movies stuff, it'd be heaven on tape.

I wonder if the back-and-forth between Williams and Lucas during the SW post production would be as irresistible?

Spielberg's and Williams' collaboration has always been more intense and extensive than Lucas' and Williams'. That footage of E.T. looks like they are actually hammering out a specific scene, the finale, on the moviola and piano well into the scoring phase, not your average spotting session, where you would view through the film and take notes as Williams usually does with Lucas. In his own words he said they spotted the Episode I for example and then he went away for 2 months to write with very little interaction or discussion with Lucas. As we know Spielberg is a bit more hands on and likes to check up on Williams from time to time just to hear his music and socialize, while the Maestro is composing.

I love fly on the wall style footage. It says so much more than any interview or talking heads reminiscing.

I agree. I could watch this stuff all day.

Seems to be becoming more common lately with Bouzerau's Raiders and E.T. documentaries created exclusively with on the set footage. (Y)

Spielberg's and Williams' collaboration has always been more intense and extensive than Lucas' and Williams'. That footage of E.T. looks like they are actually hammering out a specific scene, the finale, on the moviola and piano well into the scoring phase, not your average spotting session, where you would view through the film and take notes as Williams usually does with Lucas. In his own words he said they spotted the Episode I for example and then he went away for 2 months to write with very little interaction or discussion with Lucas. As we know Spielberg is a bit more hands on and likes to check up on Williams from time to time just to hear his music and socialize, while the Maestro is composing.

It's beside the point of your post, but just thought I'd point out that it's not the finale they're working on, but rather this little exchange in the forest, on Halloween: http://www.dailymoti...1982_shortfilms

Spielberg and Williams are trying to figure out where to switch to "the call" from the main theme, and it looks like we're seeing them decide exactly where it ended up in the film, as ET slowly turns his head and looks into the distance (around 45 seconds into the clip) :)

Ah good call. Thanks for pointing that. I thought they were talking about the finale, when I watched it again I realize that is not the case.

Awesome thanks, even a video to go with it! I was curious what scene it was, and what ended up the final music. You can see JW was talking about ET looking up twice, and changing to 'the call' on the second time he looks up. Very interesting.

It's beside the point of your post, but just thought I'd point out that it's not the finale they're working on, but rather this little exchange in the forest, on Halloween: http://www.dailymoti...1982_shortfilms

Spielberg and Williams are trying to figure out where to switch to "the call" from the main theme, and it looks like we're seeing them decide exactly where it ended up in the film, as ET slowly turns his head and looks into the distance (around 45 seconds into the clip) :)