• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
king mark

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films)

7531 posts in this topic

War for the Planet of the Apes.

I was very positively surprised by this. It is not at all the film I was expecting. Way better than both Rise and Dawn in that it feels like a more like grown-up filmmaking. Not at all an action packed summer blockbuster that the trailers try to sell it as. It plays out more like a war drama actually... and quite slow-moving at that. The film is much more accomplished visually than you average blockbuster. Very little exposition or extended dialogue sequences. It more or less plays out almost completely on a visual level. It's not even that the story itself is that inventive or original... it is all about how well it is staged and directed it all is. I'm also very impressed with the CGI apes animation and the performances from Andy Serkis and Woody Harrelson. Two thumbs up from me!

Having said all that, it might be a bit too much of a downer for most people. If you're expecting a jolly action movie, look elsewhere.

Karol

Brónach likes this

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Not at all an action packed summer blockbuster that the trailers try to sell it as.

Cool. That trailer didn't look promising and I liked the first two (more than I expected).

Some people have claimed it is a masterpiece. Is that true, Master crocodile? What say you?

Mmm no. It is very good though. To be a masterpiece this film would need to say something new. As it stands, it is probably the most polished and sublime version of what we already had in previous two. It is simply better in terms if filmmaking craft...better written, directed, shot etc. Some people will find it to be slow and too long. I suspect it will be also too sombre for general audience who simply wants a "good time at the movies". But I sort of enjoyed it taking its time and being very short on action. It felt more like a "proper film", if that makes sense.

Karol

The second one was poor, I was disappointed with it. The first film was great fun though, it got the tone dead right. So I'm guessing this third one forgets all that and takes itself really seriously then, like the second film. Po-faced chimpanzees don't really work for me. 

I wasn't much of a fan of the second one actually. The first one was ok. Neither of them really showed enough conviction for me -- neither silly nor serious enough. This one plays out more like a drama, rather than an action spectacular, and I give it credit for having balls to actually go for something. The original film was a great satire. The new one is the exact opposite. I do understand your point @Quintus - there is only so far you can push this concept before it gets too bloated for some people. I can see why you might not like. I'm sort of less interested in "what" the film does and more focused on "how". It's not so much that the story is great but how well it's told.

Karol

15 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

More serious is more realistic and more relatable.

This explains your love of Bold & Beautiful. 

B&B is really a very funny show with a rather meta sense of humour about itself.

The Edge of Seventeen - 7.5 / 10, could have been higher if the service I was watching it on didn't freeze every two minutes. 

Wait a minute... Negan and Glenn's widow play Bruce Wayne's parents in Dawn of Justice? Neat. 

On 7/14/2017 at 9:37 PM, Sally Spectra said:

The movie itself gets docked points because the delivery method failed?

No, the service I watched it on was so bad with the freezing and skipping, that it ruined the experience of the film for me. I need to rewatch it on a better system at least. 

On 15-7-2017 at 5:30 AM, Woj said:

Wait a minute... Negan and Glenn's widow play Bruce Wayne's parents in Dawn of Justice? Neat. 

fd1037_5325294.jpg

"Hey, lady! You call him The Comedian, Doll!"

Stefancos likes this

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

No, the service I watched it on was so bad with the freezing and skipping, that it ruined the experience of the film for me. I need to rewatch it on a better system at least. 

So, the delivery service of the file failed. That's what I said. You probably thought I meant the mailman. You're so analog!

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

fd1037_5325294.jpg

"Hey, lady! You call him The Comedian, Doll!"

No, you see, there is no correlation between JD Morgan and Lauren Cohan in Watchmen. Thanks for trying to be funny. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes Alex, you are very funny.

Looking. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alex is more accurate though.

No. He's not. He has an opinion. And you have a man crush. 

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Very apt observation Alex, and funny.

Man crush 101. You like Alex's balls on your chin, don't you? 

In Europe it is completely possible for two men to treat each other with respect and courtesy without there being a sexual element.

Perhaps it's this sexual hostility you commonly display that has prevented us from becoming friends?

8 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

So, the delivery service of the file failed. That's what I said. You probably thought I meant the mailman. You're so analog!

The comcast service was just absolutely shitty (it was the best I had and I hate comcast like any sane person). I could watch the film, but it freezed every two minutes. I wasn't a fan. 

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps it's this sexual hostility you commonly display that has prevented us from becoming friends?

Whatever you need to tell yourself. 

War For The Planet Of The Apes - Serkis and the CGI are as brilliant as ever, but this is much slower and a lot less 'action-y' than the 'War' in the title would lead you to believe. And at 140 minutes, it just goes on and on and ON.  For me, an ultimately disappointing end to the reboot trilogy. 

The lack of blockbuster spectacle and deliberate pacing is exactly what makes it good. Doesn't go for the cheap and easy in the end. That is where the previous film failed for me. This series was always at its best when pursuing ideas over action. It might be heavy-handed, true, but at least has some balls.

Karol

Wonder Woman

Booooring after they leave the island. So much wrong in here. Gal is adorable in the role and so is Chris Pine in his. I like the sort of little religious arc that Diana has.

Okja

Not really the pro-vegan movie some have talked about at all. I can't quite figure out if the stuff that doesn't make sense at all is like that on purpose or not, like the plans of the activist-terrorist group, or the dirty, scary laboratory, or the titular creature very existence designed as an enormous, very intelligent and sentient animal for meat production purposes.

Great ending. Great action sequence. Nice genre-blending.

War for the Planet of the Apes

Fuck yeah. I mean, it has some silly stuff when I stop to think about it. Really silly (the humans' stupid military tactics bother me the most). And the score falls apart slightly when it isn't being all warlike and tense and goes melodramatic. I really enjoy the tone, the RPG with apes thing, the old western, the classic war movie stuff injected here. Pretty photography too, great control of pace and spectacle. I've never waited for so long  in a movie for a tank with a flammable substance to explode. (And no, the film isn't "too long", what the hell).

I sometimes wish they'd jumped into harder sci-fi and the apes were more ape and less stand ins for human characters so to speak. I kept wondering what they eat, specially since they eat different depending on the species. What if none of them ever spoke words? The sign language aspect is cool enough that Caesar sudden English comes out as jarring.

14 minutes ago, Brónach said:

What if none of them ever spoke words? The sign language aspect is cool enough that Caesar sudden English comes out as jarring.

Agreed! Let the next reboot begin!

14 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Wonder Woman

Booooring after they leave the island. So much wrong in here.

Marvelite!

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

Wonder Woman

Booooring after they leave the island. So much wrong in here. Gal is adorable in the role and so is Chris Pine in his. I like the sort of little religious arc that Diana has.

Hmm, interesting.  I had the opposite reaction.  I thought the first act (island stuff) and the last act (from the castle party to the end) were both weak and a little boring.  It was the middle act, from leaving the island to the no man's land/town battle, that I put among the best sections of any super hero movie ever.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmm, interesting.  I had the opposite reaction.  I thought the first act (island stuff) and the last act (from the castle party to the end) were both weak and a little boring.  It was the middle act, from leaving the island to the no man's land/town battle, that I put among the best sections of any super hero movie ever.

Yes!

Though I wouldn't say "best section of any super hero movie ever". Simply "best section of the film".

On 13/7/2017 at 9:07 AM, Quintus said:

The second one was poor, I was disappointed with it. The first film was great fun though, it got the tone dead right. So I'm guessing this third one forgets all that and takes itself really seriously then, like the second film. Po-faced chimpanzees don't really work for me. 

I think it takes the filmaking seriously but it's not like it pretends to not be about talking apes or anything. It at times becomes ridiculous but it wants to look and feel pretty anyway.

Dunkirk

It was very involving, very well shot, very well edited, terrific sound design, with some genuinely stunning moments.

To tell you the truth, I was expecting this to be more gripping and tense than it actually was. The sense of scale of the whole event was not as overwhelming as I was expecting. 

But still, it is very much worth watching.

I wouldn't consider it to be Nolan's top work, though