• Announcements

• Jay

Donation time at JWFan   01/16/18

Hello!

For those who may not know, JWFan relies entirely on donations to keep running.  Donations pay for our server bills, as well as keeping our domain and Invision Powerboard fees.
      As an incentive to donate, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Last time this was a modest success, where I raised $500 of our desired $1,000 and mailed out 3 free CDs to lucky JWFanners.  This time I'll be doing the raffling a littler different!   Our goal is $1000 once again, and I will have four tiers of free CDs you can win once again.  But this time, the more you donate, the more entries into each raffle you'll get!   Each $10 you donate gets your name put into the raffle mug once for the $10 pool, twice for the $20 pool, thrice for the $30 pool, and five times into the $50 pool.  Here is the list of CDs you can win - and I have more to add at a later time when I get a little more organized (I'll post what they are by Friday at the latest)   The $10 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you one ticket into this pool) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $250 donated Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   The $20 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you two ticket into this pool, must donate at least $20 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $500 donated John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $30 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you three ticket into this pool, must donate at least $30 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $750 donated James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $50 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you five ticket into this pool, must donate at least $50 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $1,000 donated Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Jay

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

8 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

I wonder if this was the big announcement Peter Mayhew was talking about.

Ah, you're right, that's probably it!

No...it is not... They are not looking for unkown actors to play unknown role. They are looking for actors to fill in the shoes of a stablished character.

More like casting Ewan Mcgregor to play Obi Wan.

So I know this is a little far off as there's still 2 years until the film comes out, but I have a bit of speculation. As we already know, John Williams obviously will not be scoring any of the spin-off, and Alexandre Desplat is scoring Rogue One... so who will score the Han Solo film?

My guess is probably Mark Mothersbaugh. I am not familiar with this guy's work, though I think I have heard his name a few times before. The reason I say this is because he has scored all of the movies and TV series by directors Phil Lord & Christopher Miller in the past decade, so I think this guy has a good chance of scoring the Han Solo movie. (Just incase, I called it!)

Thoughts?

But... like... at least the Rogue One one has new characters and shit, and we only know that somehow they manage to steal the plans at an unknown cost... but this? What would be the plot of this? Like a random Firefly/Cowboy Bebop episode?

We won't know for a couple of years yet. I, for one, think it's a great idea, and I can't wait to see it. I'm not on the same level as many others here (in terms of knowing the STAR WARS universe inside out), but I really can't get enough of these things. It's really an endless supply of characters and stories.

I think they had the right idea - make "main episode" movies every other years, with "anthology" movies in between.

When it comes to what specifically to make those anthology movies ABOUT, it doesn't surprise me at all that all the initial ones they've mentioned - a story about how the rebels got the death star plans, a story about young Han Solo, young Boba Fett, young Obi Wan - are all prequels based around established characters and ideas.  It makes it easier to sell.

I am sure as time goes on, the anthologies will start to be about more different and unique things.

Hopefully.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

We won't know for a couple of years yet. I, for one, think it's a great idea, and I can't wait to see it. I'm not on the same level as many others here (in terms of knowing the STAR WARS universe inside out), but I really can't get enough of these things. It's really an endless supply of characters and stories.

But it's always the same story and characters. Another Death Star, more stolen plans, ... new faces, same characters.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I am sure as time goes on, the anthologies will start to be about more different and unique things

I wish they would have scrapped this movie after the 2 billion box office returns on TFA.  Now is the perfect time to try something fresh and new, something daring perhaps.  Rogue One is fan service, so the next one should be completely different, not more of the same.

Get our imaginations beyond the intimately known galaxy.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But it's always the same story and characters. Another Death Star, more stolen plans, ... new faces, same characters.

I agree it's a little too much "death star" by now, but the potential for endless storylines is there (just look at all the books and stuff). In any case, I just think the universe is so engrossing, I want to be envelopped by it time and again, even if the storyline is similar.

Though I'd argue that that's potential that's largely left untapped, and probably will be like that for a while. We really don't need another bloody Death Star...

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Definitely someone I can get behind. Really enjoyed his performance in Hail, Caesar!

I'm pretty much apathetic about this movie, but my hope all along for their casting is that they were going more for the Han Solo attitude/spirit as opposed to somebody who just looks like Harrison Ford but can't pull off the character.  Hopefully that's the case.

Definitely prefer him to most of the other names that were thrown around.

As mstrox said, it'd be nice to see him transcend a mere Ford imitation and make the role his own somehow. In Hail Caesar! he put a lot of spunk and charisma into what was a pretty dorky, hapless character, plus he had great comic timing. Probably the most entertaining performance in an all-star cast so that's enough for me to be open to him at this point.