Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

OK, you guys wanna speculate on how long before this sells out?

It's 5,000 copies and 60 bucks, so it won't sell out within a day, a few days, or even a few weeks, but my guess is, it will sell out sometime next spring. Within 4-5 months, in other words.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I think he never scored that small moment between the rescue from the visitor centre and Hammond looking back at the helipad so they resorted to tracking. Again I guess they didn't have time or inclination to write another cue for that small transitional moment.

Yep, pretty sure this must be the case. Just hard to believe in the spotting sessions they felt that moment would work best without music (maybe they felt Attenborough's performance carried it emotionally, without needing the music to hold your hand).

I saw the price....

It doesnt matter. this must be in my collection.

I have a christmas present! yay!

Ok i need exact Paris/Madrid/Berlin time of this going for sale to set up an alarm clock! XD

It will be fantastic to hear the The Lost World in full form as there are several places where the music has been dialled out so there will be even more unheard music in it.

Just now, Incanus said:

It will be fantastic to hear the The Lost World in full form as there are several places where the music has been dialled out so there will be even more unheard music in it.

Just hearing the score in intended film order will be enough for me. The OST is an absolute mess, especially when so much music was tracked in the film.

Will this solve the Rialto Ripples cue mystery?

1 hour ago, John Takis said:

To your first question: Titles that seem new to you but don't have the asterisk were, I believe, previously released as part of longer album tracks. They've been restored to their original sequence and retitled.

To your second: I imagine this is simply to distinguish them from the album tracks of the same name. I doubt there's anything from the old albums (other than the way the tracks were edited and assembled) that's not on here!

Ok I see, I just saw the "Complete Cue" analysis on this forum, I understand, thanks!

I saw the news at 3 AM here...and was unable to go back to sleep.... This will be a looong day!

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yep, pretty sure this must be the case. Just hard to believe in the spotting sessions they felt that moment would work best without music (maybe they felt Attenborough's performance carried it emotionally, without needing the music to hold your hand).

Pretty sure that moment was intended to be tracked from the get-go. 

Seriously, the way it is works best, imo. 

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Pretty sure that moment was intended to be tracked from the get-go. 

Seriously, the way it is works best, imo. 

Just noticed more never-before-heard music that will be on this release:

8 Big Feet * 1:44

From the start of this cue in the above clip, the sequence lasts 1:44 (same as the LLL track) but the final 40 seconds are unscored. So presumably the compy scene had accompanying music that was dialled out in favour of silence (or alternatively the parasaurolophus wrangling scene had music instead).

22 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

When do these start shipping?

Presumably on 29th of November.

Well this made me sit bold upright in bed when checking FB on my phone this morning...holy crap. I never imagined something like this would happen.

This would in theory be a great Christmas present, but if my parents think I'm waiting a month to hear this... agh.

Nothing wrong with the price to me - two $30 2-CD sets. I think it's fantastic that they started out the grail JW expansions with a franchise that hasn't had its sessions leaked. It doesn't forgive Universal's bizarre decision to refuse to sell the anniversary set outside the US, but at the same time, they recognised that this needed to happen.

Quite surprised Williams allowed it too! Perhaps the suggestions around here were true, that he wanted to give the mass market his stab at a listening experience before giving the real fans the whole thing later.

I wonder what the 'consultation with ...' means in this case. Unlike Hook and Indy, it doesn't mean JW wanted things removed (I'm making the assumption right now that the news has been around for long enough that any missing music would've been identified and shamed).

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Why are there two versions of Welcome to Jurassic Park? God, that's such a vintage John Williams track naming decision. :blink:

Could the film version actually be an alternate and not a microedit (the music as Grant sees the birds out the window)?

I think the film version might be a different performance. The thematic statement over 'Directed by SS' sounds different than on album... looser somehow.

also maybe to two parts of the end credits are mixed like in the annyversary. with an intended one second gap (while in the original album there was none)

I hope they can release Don Davis score as a sepparate 2CD set (i hope they include all the alternates) and the giacchino (trilogy?) in another pack when the films are finished....

50 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

also maybe to two parts of the end credits are mixed like in the annyversary. with an intended one second gap (while in the original album there was none)

I hope they can release Don Davis score as a sepparate 2CD set (i hope they include all the alternates) and the giacchino (trilogy?) in another pack when the films are finished....

I would expect Davis' scoe to come out at some point, certainly. although I'm uncertain about whether they will include the film edit of the cage buildup (I heard suggestions at the time that the slow, building percussion is a library track).

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I would expect Davis' scoe to come out at some point, certainly. although I'm uncertain about whether they will include the film edit of the cage buildup (I heard suggestions at the time that the slow, building percussion is a library track).

Could it be tracked from San diego scenes in TLW?

I think it sounds similar. I always thought it was Davis using a passage of Williams work.

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Likewise, with the precedent of this set, JP3 seems an obvious follow-up release in the next few years. Though didn't most of that score "leak" (aka Davis or someone involved in the score sent out expanded albums to friends) soon after the OST came out? Certainly all of the Spinosaur attack music is out there, and none of it was on the OST.

It was a really lackluster OST from memory, they filled up the CD with crappy interactive content.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the info. I assumed the former expansion was a physical disc (most of these news pass me by in the moment, and then I forget all about it a few weeks later).

Plus that digital album was available for purchase in some territories only. 

Karol

I know the digital album but I never bought it. I even wonder if I already listened to these BONUS tracks... Well, now that I'm bound to those Expanded Sets, this one will be mine before christmas!

Now what I need to be expanded is my shelves...

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I think it speaks volumes this release is even happening with an independent label! The Jurassic Park series is one of Universal's highest profile franchises. They already expanded Jurassic Park by themselves but I doubt LLL would've had this opportunity unless someone like Spielberg was making calls behind the scenes.

Would love to know who instigated the set though. There was a recent post mentioning Matessino was interested in other scores from their catalog but the Spielberg/Williams camp wanted him to focus on "something else," for the time being. And if you have Spielberg and Williams on your side, you aren't going to get much resistance from the studios who own the music they want expanded!

The huge success of Jurassic World and the subsequent reinassance of the whole JP franchise surely helped to make this happen, I guess (there's another film in development and they just launched the live-to-film concert production).

I guess both Spielberg and Williams have preferences regarding what they want to see expanded and released this way (I doubt we'll ever see an expanded Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan, for example, but who knows?). I guess it's also an occasion to restore and archive the material for posterity in the best way possible using state-of-the-art mastering technology for any future reference and usage.

I'm confident we'll see more Spielberg/Williams expansions supervised and produced by Mike Matessino in the near future (E.T., CE3K, a better Hook and hopefully the Indy movies as well).

11 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The huge success of Jurassic World and the subsequent reinassance of the whole JP franchise surely helped to make this happen, I guess (there's another film in development and they just launched the live-to-film concert production).

I guess both Spielberg and Williams have preferences regarding what they want to see expanded and released this way. I guess it's also an occasion to restore and archive the material for posterity in the best way possible using state-of-the-art mastering technology for any future reference and usage.

I'm confident we'll see more Spielberg/Williams expansions supervised and produced by Mike Matessino in the near future (E.T., CE3K, a better Hook and hopefully the Indy movies as well).

Well said. Williams probably oversaw the Jurassic Park live-to-projection preparation and the score was fresh in his mind, while Spielberg's been heavily involved getting the new Jurassic World trilogy off the ground. From a purely marketing perspective, Jurassic World being the fourth highest grossing film of all time makes this the perfect opportunity to start milking merchandise such as soundtrack expansions. In fact, I'd bet Spielberg's camp started pursuing this set around the same time JW became the sleeper hit of 2015.

Maybe a positive sign that hope isn't lost for a proper LLL/Matessino Indy expansion to coincide with the release of Indy V. After all, the last expansion was timed to release alongside KOTCS. Assuming Concord's licence has expired, of course...

Wow!  What amazing news to wake up to this morning!  I literally had no idea this was coming (those sneaks!), and didn't even think it was POSSIBLE.  Since these are two of my favorite film scores of all time, there's no way I won't be ordering this immediately at 12:00pst on Tuesday!

Stray thoughts

-Looks completely complete, of course, with the only surprise being a different version of the end credits to the first film?  Is the film version different from the album version?

-People who only really know the first score but not the second as well are in for a treat, the sequel score is a freaking powerhouse!

-Neither film has no real alternates, no, but the concert arrangement for the second film has 2 different openings, so that's what disc 3 track 1 vs disc 4 track 14 are all about

-As for Tranquilizier Dart, the original intended cue features a whole ending that was completely dropped the film and not included on the OST either, so that would be disc 3 track 12.  In the film, they segued to the first film's theme arrangement in lieu of using that whole ending, so that would be disc 4 track 15

-Anybody wonder why they took the Beverly Hills Cop scores and gave each their own separately-avialable release, but are combing these two into a must-buy-together 4CD set?  I personally would have rather had each score in their own jewel case on my shelf in separate areas.  Oh well.  Minor qualm!

IF LLL WAS ABLE TO LICENSE THIS FROM UNIVERSAL, THIS COULD MEAN MORE WILLIAMS TITLES ARE COMING FROM UNIVERSAL!!!

THIS MEANS THESE GREAT SPIELBERG SCORES:

1974 The Sugarland Express
1982 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
1989 Always
1993 Schindler's List

AND ALL THESE OTHER UNIVERSAL SCORES TOO!!

1961 The Secret Ways
1965 The Killers
1966 The Rare Breed
1966 The Plainsman
1968 Sergeant Ryker
1970 Storia di una donna (Story of a Woman)
1972 The Screaming Woman
1972 Pete 'n' Tillie
1974 Earthquake
1975 The Eiger Sanction
1979 Dracula
1984 The River
1989 Born On The Fourth Of July
1992 Far And Away

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

-Anybody wonder why they took the Beverly Hills Cop scores and gave each their own separately-avialable release, but are combing these two into a must-buy-together 4CD set?  I personally would have rather had each score in their own jewel case on my shelf in separate areas.  Oh well.  Minor qualm!

Maybe JW and/or Spielberg wanted it that way?

Either way, this doesn't bother me at all. It would have bothered me, however, if they had included JP III and Jurassic World as well, for a retail price of 100 bucks or more.

I can't wait for Lost World either Jason, so much amazing music left off the OST and even left out of the film. I think it'll be a total revelation in complete form, as Williams intended.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

-Neither film has no real alternates, no, but the concert arrangement for the second film has 2 different openings, so that's what disc 3 track 1 vs disc 4 track 14 are all about

Just wondering, is this merely a different opening (as heard in the end credits) or the more radically different concert version which began popping up in the years that followed? The one that was significantly different from the album arrangement, certainly moreso than merely a different opening? This performance is a good example, from 1:27:35:

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/live/musique/musique-classique/concert-hommage-a-john-williams-au-grand-rex-238619

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess because the Jurassic Park expansion is a lot less significant than the Lost World expansion, because of the 20th Anniversary expansion a few years ago. I would've bought both regardless, but maybe they felt their sales would be stronger by bundling the two together? Just a hunch.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just wondering, is this merely a different opening (as heard in the end credits) or the more radically different concert version which began popping up in the years that followed? The one that was significantly different from the album arrangement, certainly moreso than merely a different opening?

The film version heard in the end credits is just a different/alternate opening (with tubas and trombones doubling the timpani) and I think it was recorded as an insert. The concert version as heard in several live performances (also recorded by Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops in their Spielberg Tribute album) has a wholly different opening,a different ending and some extended bars in the middle.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just wondering, is this merely a different opening (as heard in the end credits) or the more radically different concert version which began popping up in the years that followed? The one that was significantly different from the album arrangement, certainly moreso than merely a different opening?

Like I said, its just the different opening as heard in the end credits.  The version played live in concerts was never recorded at the film's recording sessions

disc 3 track 1 version (0:00-0:14)

disc 4 track 14 version (0:06-0:20)

Still cool to hear a different opening, very exciting! :)

Hopefully we get a proper Williams-conducted version of the Lost World concert arrangement in the 3rd Spielberg/Williams collaboration disc -- I love the new ending he wrote, and that extra little bridge in the middle is awesome! I love when he refines his concert suites with extensions like that (just like the fun extension of Poe's Theme in the Jedi Steps and Finale concert arrangement).

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

disc 4 track 14 versio (starts at 0:06)

The end credits arrangement, to my ears, is so much stronger than the OST version. Maybe just because I've listened to the OST version since I was 8, but the end credits arrangement seems much more confident with a boisterous performance and layered orchestration. What a brilliant, underrated theme in Williams' oeuvre.

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hopefully we get a proper Williams-conducted version of the Lost World concert arrangement in the 3rd Spielberg/Williams collaboration disc -- I love the new ending he wrote, and that extra little bridge in the middle is awesome! I love when he refines his concert suites with extensions like that (just like the fun extension of Poe's Theme in the Jedi Steps and Finale concert arrangement).

I agree, hopefully that version is on the upcoming CD!

The end credits arrangement, to my ears, is so much stronger than the OST version. Maybe just because I've listened to the OST version since I was 8, but the end credits arrangement seems much more confident with a boisterous performance and layered orchestration. What a brilliant, underrated theme in Williams' oeuvre.

I love that version as well!

In other news, I was wrong: There is one surprise here.  "The Saboteur" must be an unused cue that wasn't on the OST, wasn't in the film, and is the only bit of sheet music that didn't leak.  Wild!  I can't wait to hear it!

I wonder if it scored the quick scene with Nedry in the control room, surveying the embryonics surveillance cameras on his computer while Muldoon complains about locking mechanisms on the cars. The scene is only 25 seconds in the final film but maybe the cue overlapped with the next scene (Grant walks down the hill to the Triceratops paddock)?

There's really no other gap in the film for a 50 second cue, barring Malcolm's water droplet test on Sattler.

Another observation:  The ** next to "The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase" is a bit surprising as well.  "The Falling Car" music on the OST has its beginning overlapped with the Incident at Isla Nublar cue, sure... and the "T-Rex Chase" had both its beginning and ending overlapped on the 20th set, sure... but this new track is about THIRTY SECONDS longer than those 2 cues as they were released before!  So perhaps there is a never-before-heard opening to the Falling Car cue that wasn't in the sheet music leak, or a longer ending to the T-Rex chase, or something?

Here's my spreadsheet for Jurassic Park, working on The Lost World now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQVQ3-6XtN44Izw8DdfPboJ3UlFcCaRJLSd4IUkptki45UkHHYFMK65v59Wc5QhpIzsW_mTNCvTIXyd/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if it scored the quick scene with Nedry in the control room, surveying the embryonics surveillance cameras on his computer while Muldoon complains about locking mechanisms on the cars. The scene is only 25 seconds in the final film but maybe the cue overlapped with the next scene (Grant walks down the hill to the Triceratops paddock)?

It's gotta be.  Crazy how that sheet music never leaked, so the set provides us with a true, couldn't-see-it-coming surprise like this!

Wow.

I've barely heard Lost World at all, but I know it's considered a grail by many here. 

I should probably just buy this ... although the price is quite steep. 

The real excitement here, to be honest, is how gorgeous the artwork is! :lol:

Wow! I get excited for this set just looking at that promotional photo!

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Another observation:  The ** next to "The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase" is a bit surprising as well.  "The Falling Car" music on the OST has its beginning overlapped with the Incident at Isla Nublar cue, sure... and the "T-Rex Chase" had both its beginning and ending overlapped on the 20th set, sure... but this new track is about THIRTY SECONDS longer than those 2 cues as they were released before!  So perhaps there is a never-before-heard opening to the Falling Car cue that wasn't in the sheet music leak, or a longer ending to the T-Rex chase, or something?

Just a theory, but re-watching this scene there's about 20 seconds of "orchestral punctuations" for each impact tremor that were cut down or microedited from The Coming Storm combo track. Maybe this has been restored to its original film presentation (I'm assuming they recorded this as it appears in the film) with the long pauses between each impact tremor?

And yeah, wouldn't surprise me if there's another 5 seconds at the start of The Falling Car and the end of T-Rex Chase as well, which are both cross-faded into other cues on the existing previous releases. I haven't seen the sheet music though so you definitely have a better idea than I do! My money is on T-Rex Chase having a longer ending, because the OST already contains about 10 seconds of music from The Falling Car that was dialled out in the film.

5 hours ago, RPurton said:

I promptly told everyone in my house like a madman, but their reactions were woeful: "Don't you already have that?" 

:lol:

That's my mom's reaction every time. Non-film-music fans do not understand that original OSTs aren't complete. 

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just a theory, but re-watching this scene there's about 20 seconds of "orchestral punctuations" for each impact tremor that were cut down or microedited from The Coming Storm combo track. Maybe this has been restored to its original film presentation (I'm assuming they recorded this as it appears in the film) with the long pauses between each impact tremor?

Yup, great call, I betcha that's exactly it.

15 minutes ago, Will said:

Wow.

I've barely heard Lost World at all, but I know it's considered a grail by many here. 

I should probably just buy this ... although the price is quite steep. 

The real excitement here, to be honest, is how gorgeous the artwork is! :lol:

Wow! I get excited for this set just looking at that promotional photo!

If you can afford it it's worth it. The Lost World OST isn't even easy to come by at a reasonable price and a lot of the discs are damaged due to a stupid packaging design. This set is worth it!