Star Wars Disenchantment

John

I can only guess that there'll be some shenanigans on Tatootine as Been Kenobi protects a young luke from afar.

I don't particularly want to see that, but if they're going to do it, why not get McGregor back?

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Meh.

What's so great about McGregor's Obi Wan, anyway? He's just doing an "okay" job in the midst of poor performances, which makes him stand out. Being the winner of a snail's race doesn't make you quick.

Oh, well. Than again, I don't judge a movie by the lead actor or actress, but by the story and the execution of the screenwriter, and director, first and foremost.

THIS.

McGregor's performance is adequate. Nothing more, nothing less. The only reason it isn't criticized more is because of all the other godawful acting in the prequels.

10 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

All of Star Wars features poor acting.

That’s not true.

What about Admiral Ackbar?

To be fair, considering how his popularity is almost 100% based on his costume and nothing else, canceling the Boba Fett standalone is probably a smart move on Lucasfilm’s part. 

I'd sooner watch a Solo 2 that incorporated Boba Fett than watch an entire film where he is the main character. This is a decision where we get less Star Wars that I can agree with.

Six years after buying Lucasfilm, Disney has recouped its investment.

• Six years ago, Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion.

• The four Star Wars feature films Disney has released since 2015 have grossed more than $4.8 billion at the box office.

• Disney also makes money from licensing agreements and sales of merchandise, apparel and toys.

Funny; after listening to people like @Mattris on the internet, you'd think Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm has been a total disaster on all fronts!

On 10/29/2018 at 4:04 PM, Arpy said:

if they're going to do it, why not get McGregor back?

There's no reason not to.

The quality of the performance is as much the product of the director's work as it is the actor's. Its the director who tells the actor what to do, talks him through the scene and accomodates for multiple takes and/or rehearsal time. So Ewan McGregor under a better director than George Lucas could be awesome.

But, the more time passes, the weirder these spinoffs seem to me. They could all be good movies on their individual merits, but as part of the series, they're redundant. They don't evolve or push the overarching story of Star Wars forwards, as the main films do. There's also something to be said for leaving certain parts of the story untold: it can add mystery and intrigue, whereas showing it can be demystifying. Its true for Han Solo's origins, and - to my mind - it'll be true of seeing what Ben was up to during those 18 years.

20 hours ago, John said:

Six years after buying Lucasfilm, Disney has recouped its investment.

Funny; after listening to people like @Mattris on the internet, you'd think Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm has been a total disaster on all fronts!

The article's writer says that "Disney has recouped its investment" but fails to mention...

... the specific production and marketing costs of each film.

... the revenue figures from the "dozens of other Star Wars revenue streams"  (merchandise sales figures, licensing agreements, other forms of media, etc.)

... the massive cost of the "two Star Wars Lands under construction".

... that Disney doesn't receive all of the revenue from box office receipts. When all is said and done, it's safe to say they received around 60% of it.

That article did not prove that Disney has recouped its investment in Lucasfilm.

Mr. Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for comScore, said that "Solo still made a lot of money," and that "By any other measure Solo was a success, but in the realm of 'Star Wars' anything less than a grand slam home run is seen as a disappointment. So [that film] was held to a higher standard, no question, but that's because of how well the films have done even before Disney."

Mr. Dergarabedian is a spin doctor. Solo did not make "a lot of money". THE FILM LOST $200 MILLION DOLLARS. By any measure that matters, this is "seen as a disappointment". Solo's financial failure was an utter embarrassment for Kathleen Kennedy, who recently received a contract extension from Bob Iger... who took the blame for Solo's failure, citing "too much, too soon". Though he must be aware that the film's disastrous cinematic run (and financial decline with the other films*) is indicative of a major problem that fans and the general public have with what Disney Star Wars has turned out to be.

I never said that "Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm has been a total disaster on all fronts". It's their handling of Star Wars that has resulted in "total disaster" regarding public interest in the franchise.

* TLJ made 1/3 less at the box office than TFA. Solo made 2/3 less than Rogue One, which made 1/2 that of TFA.

Yeah, the film industry is very secretive of its numbers, so I don't know that we know if Lucasfilm actually broken even.

Nevertheless, I have no doubt this deal will end up being extremly lucrative. It was guaranteed to. from day one.

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

* TLJ made 1/3 less at the box office than TFA. Solo made 2/3 less than Rogue One, which made 1/2 that of TFA.

Translation:

TLJ was great. TFA was great. RO was great. Solo was great.

Ain't Star Wars great?

I don't know that I'd classify any of these as "great", outright.

The Force Awakens is by far the best, but its unoriginality is too crippling to overlook. The Last Jedi is overlong and subversive to a fault. Rogue One is un-engaging as a character story and Solo is just redundant from the outset.

Still, they're all enjoyable enough.

No, and I have no desire to.

You'll notice I said nothing of the quality of the film (although I've not heard good things, for the most part), as a standalone film. I just said its redundant to the series. I might as well watch a mockumentary about the economy of Tatooine, instead.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You've heard plenty of good things about it on this forum, you just chose to disregard them.

And I've heard bad things, here and elsewhere. On the whole, I've heard more bad than good.

I'm all for keeping an open mind - I'm in no way condemning the film. I just have no desire to watch it. Maybe if it happens to pop up on TV someday.

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I don’t understand; why then do you feel compelled to comment on it if you have zero plans on seeing it?

33 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

...and Solo is just redundant from the outset.

But it’s not. It’s a movie that, at the very least, attempts to do some things differently and be its own thing. And I didn’t even like it all that much!

20 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

When Mattris shows back up in a conversation....

Related image

Y'all are waiting for it; y'all are the sharks here!

10 minutes ago, John said:

don’t understand; why then do you feel compelled to comment on it if you have zero plans on seeing it?

Hey man, leave him alone: he's more interested in the construction of larger cinematic narratives and how they're advanced and told through multiple films. Can't you see he didn't say anything about the contents of the film itself? 

By the way, the only way for these narratives to be told consistently and effectively as one organic arc is if they're all plotted and shot around the same time like Lord of the Rings, or planned out with a master vision like Feige and Marvel.

34 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You'll notice I said nothing of the quality of the film (although I've not heard good things, for the most part), as a standalone film. I just said its redundant to the series. I might as well watch a mockumentary about the economy of Tatooine, instead.

You don't miss a thing if you don't watch it.

I gave up the first time but decided to give it another shot because the kid wanted to watch it with me. We ended up seeing the whole thing but we both agree it was pretty uninteresting and very forgettable.

It has two definite standouts: the score (mixed almost inaudibly, just listen to it on album) and the cinematography, which stands out negatively.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

He's more interested in the construction of larger cinematic narratives and how they're advanced and told through multiple films.

Exactly! And, in the case of a series like Star Wars, how they emerge, not having been planned from the outset. I find it all to be quite fascinating.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

he only way for these narratives to be told consistently and effectively as one organic arc is if they're all plotted and shot around the same time like Lord of the Rings, or planned out with a master vision like Feige and Marvel.

True, and there is something to be said for those strategies (particularly the former) over the Lucasfilm approach. Although, to be fair, they're not doing it any different than George Lucas did, back in the day.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I wrote a very positive review of Solo that you liked!

24 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I "Like" a post whenever I find that its astute and makes a good case for itself - regardless of whether I agree with its contents or not.

Well I know, but that's not my point.

My point is that, as Steef said, and contrary to what you suggested, you've read many positive things about Solo (e.g. my stellar review), including from many on this board. You keep knocking it, and its very existence, simply because you think its extraneous. But to me that's a pretty cumbersome and dispiriting way to look at cinema. It's a fun film that can be appreciated on its own merits.  

You're being a stick in the mud by being so down a movie you've never seen, Mr. Chen G!

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

My point is that, as Steef said, and contrary to what you suggested, you've read many positive things about Solo, including from many on this board. And you're being a little dismissive of a film you've never seen.  

You keep knocking it, and its very existence, simply because you think its extraneous. But to me that's a pretty cumbersome and dispiriting way to look at cinema. It's a fun film that can be appreciated on its own merits

I've read both good and negative reviews on the matter, most of them leaning to the bad. And I'm not being dismissive of the film, on its own. I am, however, dismissive of its conception, being so utterly irrelevant to the course of the series.

You could enjoy the film on its own merit, but to me its part of a series for a reason: it needs to forward or help develop the story of the series. After all, that's the whole point, from the perspective of the audience, in serialized cinema.

Otherwise, just tweak characters' names and the like and have it be its own film, in its own kooky little universe. It'll be all the better for it.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I'd say the majority here would agree that Solo is at least a good movie. 

It's quite likable. Low stakes but not low quality. It just wasn't meant to be.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You could enjoy the film on its own merit, but to me its part of a series for a reason: it needs to forward or help develop the story of the series. After all, that's the whole point, from the perspective of the audience, in serialized cinema.

Otherwise, just change the characters' name and have it be its own film, in its own kooky little universe. It'll be all the better for it.

A series doesn't have to be A-B-C-D, though. If you want that, why not watch telenovelas? 

A series can be a sandbox where characters, scenarios, themes, etc. can be played with in all sorts of fun, imaginative ways, while still feeling like a component of a larger world. Never played with licensed toys as a kiddo?