Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

There's a part in Escape from the Tomb that sound exactly like the beginning of Moving Day from The Secret of NIMH. You know what I mean?

Plus this!  Not really self-plagiarism, but it is very similar.

So apparently there’s an issue with the Camel Race cue from the complete score. The last 2:31 of the cue has a static like sound. The album version sounds fine. 

Someone at FSM noticed it. I checked that cue and you can hear it. I believe the angry mob at FSM has alerted Intrada so I’ll sit back and wait for the response.

I wonder if that cue was from an earlier mix of the cue, and they put the wrong version of the mix on the CD master that was sent to the pressing plant?

There have been similar mistakes like this in the past.

As i said in the Last-Listened Thread, there are fishy sound issues here, check the last 02:20 of 'Mummy Attacks' and compare that to the old Decca cue and then tell me that is how it is supposed to sound. The Silvestri is even worse. I wonder how people notice notice a minor occurrence like the above but not that the whole stereo sounds off.

27 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I didn't get the set directly from Intrada, how can I get a fixed CD from them?

(Just in case I have a copy with that error and Intrada decides to fix it.)

If they have a replacement CD program down the line, then I think we'll get some kind of notification from them.

They are usually very good at that kind of thing.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

As i said in the Last-Listened Thread, there are fishy sound issues here, check the last 02:20 of 'Mummy Attacks' and compare that to the old Decca cue and then tell me that is how it is supposed to sound. The Silvestri is even worse. I wonder how people notice notice a minor occurrence like the above but not that the whole stereo sounds off.

Oh man, sounds like a replacement is inevitable. The guys at FSM won't stop complaining.:mellow:

Does anybody else find the synths at 1:26 on The Sarcophagus to be somewhat overbearing and almost too prominent? They're not present on the Decca release nor in the film, and they overpower the vocals underneath to a very distracting level. Is this another mistake perhaps because it just doesn't sound right to me whatsoever.

4 hours ago, El Jefe said:

So apparently there’s an issue with the Camel Race cue from the complete score. The last 2:31 of the cue has a static like sound. The album version sounds fine. 

Someone at FSM noticed it. I checked that cue and you can hear it. I believe the angry mob at FSM has alerted Intrada so I’ll sit back and wait for the response.

I can also hear it, tho more quietly, around 30 seconds into The Prep Room. It goes for a while. Listen to the pause around 1 minute in. 

It is really bad in Camel Race

4 hours ago, publicist said:

I noticed immediately on hearing the main program that the stereo field has been shifted in many cues so that different instruments are in focus. The track I notice this in the most is 0:18 in Tuareg Attack. in the iso score and the OST the racing strings on the left are very clear. In the Intrada version, the brass has been moved such that they're more difficult to hear. I actually ended up editing that section in from the cue on disc 2.

It's not necessarily the 'wrong' mix; it just doesn't match the film or OST.

But that is a decision i can live with, but when the stereo field fluctuates it's a different issue. Though speakers veil that to a certain degree. Whatever went wrong with TMR, it's much more noticeable there.

Well these reported sound issues are not good news at all. Disheartening to say the least. We demand new corrected versions of both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns!

22 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It really surprises me that a product like this is coming from Intrada. I mean, somebody must have tested the finished product, am I right?

Like I said in the other thread, I bet the people who mastered this aren't even real film music fans.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

But Bruce Botnick knows more about this shit than any film music fan. Though in fairness, the issues are negligible in case of 'The Mummy'.

But isn't the mastering phase out of his hands? I thought that part was more of label thing.

The only actual problem I think this set has is that static that some are hearing, and honestly I wasn't aware until pointed out (I didn't listen to all cues at first). Even after that, I can live with it.

The overall sound of the release is just a different mix, and once you get used to the shifted focus of instruments, it sounds awesome. I don't quite agree with some of those mixing choices but nothing's perfect (and we have the iso score if needed).

My original (over)reaction was that I'd end up keeping a lot of iso score rips, but I found only two instances where the new mix bothered me and both are on the OST. Easy fix.

16 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The only actual problem I think this set has is that static that some are hearing, and honestly I wasn't aware until pointed out (I didn't listen to all cues at first). Even after that, I can live with it.

The overall sound of the release is just a different mix, and once you get used to the shifted focus of instruments, it sounds awesome. I don't quite agree with some of those mixing choices but nothing's perfect (and we have the iso score if needed).

My original (over)reaction was that I'd end up keeping a lot of iso score rips, but I found only two instances where the new mix bothered me and both are on the OST. Easy fix.

I really think the static thing really depends on one's hearing. I honestly don't hear it.

I agree about the mixing I for one really love the mixing on this release.  It took me a day or so to get use to it but I definitely like it more than the isolated score / OST.

BTW I swore someone either here or FSM mentioned about a video that showed Goldsmith conducting "Sand Storm" with out the chorus?  Does someone have a link to said video?

This is what Roger Feigelson says about it.

We did a deep investigation and this is what we found. There is actually some distortion after about a minute in, where the cue goes into a new section. It hits pretty loud and seems over-modulated. That continues for the remainder of the track when it is loud. Quieter sections are perfect, showing it isn’t random static at all.

This is ALSO present on the 1999 CD as well but our new mix is hotter and more detailed, making the distortion more evident. This means the original recording sessions must have been too hot during that portion of the cue. Our release exacerbates the distortion but it is not anything that can be corrected because it's inherent in the recording itself.

Keep in mind there were no stereo mixes of the additional music, only what was mixed for Decca in 1999. Universal only had the complete 48-track sessions and potted/edited 5.1 film mixes which would have been unacceptable. Therefore expanding The Mummy required all-new mixing and Bruce Botnick’s participation because he was the original mixer. Since we want to retain our new 48-channel mix the distortion will stay in this hot section. This makes keeping the old album mix a nice bonus for CD 2.

Well I am today a happy recipient of a package containing this score and its sequel. :) 

The “noise” on Camel Race only stood out to me when I had it playing in my car, on my iPod. 

It was hard to hear with headphones, on my iPod, until the final 20 seconds or so. On normal speakers, playing the actual CD, it didn’t stand out too much until the final 40 seconds or so.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Honestly, where did you order the sets?

And what new synths?

There are new sounding synths on the Sarcophagus (Track Two, Disc One) that were not previously there on either the Decca release nor the ISO Score. Personally I find them to be quite overbearing and distracting, but each to their own I guess 💁

What's everyone's opinion of the new added section on "Escape the Tomb"? It sounds very Classic Hollywood to me, but I can understand why it was cut as the scene works much better without!

So, there is a decent amount of OST tracks that are unique and not just simple copies if the C&C tracks:

4. Giza Port (original version)

7. Camel Race (without static overlay;)

8. The Crypt (without synth overlay)

9. Mumia Attack (unextended version)

11. My Favourite Plague (unextended original version)

13. Rebirth (unextended version)

14. The Mummy (original version)

15. The Sand Volcano (originally intended version)

20 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So, there is a decent amount of OST tracks that are unique and not just simple copies if the C&C tracks:

4. Giza Port (original version)

7. Camel Race (without static overlay;)

8. The Crypt (without synth overlay)

9. Mumia Attack (unextended version)

11. My Favourite Plague (unextended original version)

13. Rebirth (unextended version)

15. The Sand Volcano (originally intended version)

Mumia Attack on the complete presentation it has the cue "The Warden's Bag" tacked onto the beginning. Other wise it's the same on both.

The Mummy (The Mummy Attack) on Disc 2 is different instrumentation wise if you compare the two.

I don't get why they gave us a nice chart of takes used for the main presentation, but didn't include a similar chart for the album presentation.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Do any other tracks have differences?

I think most of the tracks on the OST do differ from the complete presentation as far as orchestrations go.  One instance as I pointed out "The Mummy (The Mummy Attack)" at one section has synths where on the complete presentation it's not there just like in the film.

I can't remember if Goldsmith had to re-record some cues for the OST or not.

Does anyone else find the mastering on this release a bit unpleasant? Listening in my car (admittedly not the best sound environment) I'm constantly volume adjusting between tracks, and the action tracks are particularly "loud" where, even with the volume turned all the way down, the brass and percussion is unnaturally loud to the point of being noisy - - like every instrument in the orchestra is blasting in my face. There's no separation in the orchestra and no sense of "space" in the recording studio. 

Does this make any sense or is that just how the score was recorded and mixed originally, so it's an accurate reflection of the composer's intentions? 

"Does anyone else find life unpleasant? Trying to live in Texas (admittedly not the best environment), and the A/C is overworked."

"Then kill yourself!"

"Well there's a solution"