Temple of Doom is 35 years old

Ricard

Best score of the series. But not the best hat and jacket. I'm not a fan of the more tapered look of the hat compared to the more squarish crown of the Raiders hat. I suppose the jacket is okay, but the Raiders cut is more distinct.

22 minutes ago, publicist said:

Spielberg's best comedy.

Well it's not like there's much competition!

24 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Lucas was going through a divorce in 1984 so FUCKIN' BLAH BLAH SUUUUUUURE

21 minutes ago, publicist said:

Premonition of the over-concerned, over-cautious nanny society America is now. 

They were always trying to make excuses for it in the DVD documentaries. Oh the movie turned out "bad" because the boss was having personal problems. Makes for some melodrama for the doco and the chance to track the interviews with some of Williams' more grim sort of music from the movies. How dumb do these Hollyweird morons think we are to fall for that shit?

Wowee, a 30th and a 35th Anniversary from the same franchise in the same week... you'd think it's an opportune time for score expansions... :)

I first saw this film on VHS in the mid or late 80s, at some friends of my parents in Denmark (I don't think I've ever seen it on the big screen). On subsequent viewings, I've come to recognize some of its flaws -- but interestingly, these flaws (primarily gung-ho, slapstick histrionics) are also a strength in a way; in their sheer sense of energy and momentum. I think it's been better appreciated in later years.

I saw it in its opening week, in London, at the Empire Leicester Square, in 70mm. I jumped out of my skin at the "hand through the hole". The next time I saw it (also at the Empire Leicester Square.) I had fun watching other people jump out of their skin.

9 hours ago, Ricard said:

Since there's a thread about TLC's 30th anniversary, here's another one to discuss the better film of the two ;) which was released 35 years ago this week.

And while you're at it, do not miss @TownerFan's wonderful article about Williams' masterpiece!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/05/24/indiana-jones-temple-of-doom-35-anniversary/

Thanks, Ricard. I thought the anniversary was a great excuse to talk more about this absolutely brilliant JW score.

I get the film on paper. It's a rollicking, over-the-top, cartoonish adventure. But even as someone with little patience for present day PC culture, TOD's garish depiction of Indians still makes me kind of uncomfortable. It definitely presented a problematic image for 80s American culture to swallow up.

Williams' score is brilliant though.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

TOD's garish depiction of Indians still makes me kind of uncomfortable. It definitely presented a problematic image for 80s American culture to swallow up.

That's one of the reasons I love this film. It pissed a lot of people off when it was released and a lot of people still find it offensive today!

One of my favorite films to watch over and over again, one of my favorite scores of all time! 

The 2nd best IJ film and score.

i saw this opening night and the theatre was jammed packed. It was one of the more memorable experiences I’ve had in the theatre. The audience was into this film from start to finish. 

1 hour ago, KK said:

TOD's garish depiction of Indians still makes me kind of uncomfortable.

I think that not even Indians objected to such comic book portrayals. The film even has good and bad indians, so that evens it out.

21 minutes ago, publicist said:

I think that not even Indians objected to such comic book portrayals. The film even has good and bad indians, so that evens it out.

Evil Religiously extremist slavers and good, helpless Indians why need a White Saviour to bring back their children!

16 minutes ago, publicist said:

Germans were not as squeamish.

I'm sure to find you squeamish, that is not your reputation!

Squeamish, maybe. But despite all the Nazi jokes, everyone can agree that Germany is a respectable world power with respectable people across most fields of industry, art and science. India doesn't afford the same luxury sadly, especially in the PR department. So I wouldn't blame a notoriously conservative people for scoffing at the extreme bastardization of existing customs and traditions at the expense of the average white consumer's laugh.

And while its intentions may have been faultless, TOD just continues a trend of glitzy 80s Hollywood of instructing the average American on how to think of Indians (who never had a great reputation in the West to begin with), just in worst extremes possible. 

And are the "good" Indians supposed to be the meek stone-worshipping villagers who fall in worship to the incoming white man? Or the other "Hindus" (who have a reputation of being conservative vegetarians in reality) who were vacuuming monkey brains?

- KK, who really hates how "political" this post sounds and wishes this movie didn't trigger him like it does

23 minutes ago, KK said:

Squeamish, maybe. But despite all the Nazi jokes, everyone can agree that Germany is a respectable world power with respectable people across most fields of industry, art and science. India doesn't afford the same luxury sadly, especially in the PR department. So I wouldn't blame a notoriously conservative people for scoffing at the extreme bastardization of existing customs and traditions at the expense of the average white consumer's laugh.

And while its intentions may have been faultless, TOD just continues a trend of glitzy 80s Hollywood of instructing the average American on how to think of Indians (who never had a great reputation in the West to begin with), just in worst extremes possible. 

And are the "good" Indians supposed to be the meek stone-worshipping villagers who fall in worship to the incoming white man? Or the other "Hindus" (who have a reputation of being conservative vegetarians in reality) who were vacuuming monkey brains?

- KK, who really hates how "political" this post sounds and wishes this movie didn't trigger him like it does

Gee KK, it's a bit like The Honorable Texas Oilmen Syndicate raising grave concerns about how J. R. Ewing is bastardizing their public image. It's a comic book movie and even the less bright american probably wasn't seduced into thinking he just saw an accurate portrayal of modern India. Your reasoning is probably not wrong per se but it's a teensy bit snobby preaching down to the less enlightened from the elevated position of one's own armchair pulpit.

And Mr. Yakamoto or whatever from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

"Mish Gorightry!"

There is legitimately offensive stuff and then there is a movie series like Indiana Jones where the tone doesn't even remotely lend itself to offending. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Alec Guinness in Lawrence of Arabia is more culturally offensive than anything in Temple of Doom!

As Faisal he’s fine. Try more Omar Sharif as Yuri Zhivago or Guiness as the Indian doctor in A Passage to India.