Great Movie Villians, who are they

JoeinAR

who are your favorites, and why, what makes them great villians?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darth Vader, obviously

Oldman's Dracula, because the whole characterization was completely original, with a very strong eastern europe feel but with a oriental touch that transformed it into a quite interesting hybrid. The voice was spot on.

Davy Jones, for pure visual bliss and for being wonderfully imaginative

Claude Frollo, in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. Being a kid's movie, the impact of such a sinister character is greatly enhanced. All the credit should be given to Tony Jay's voice acting.

T-1000, from Terminator 2.

In television: The Cigarette Smoking Man (The X-Files), Sherry Palmer and President Charles Logan (24), Arvin Sloane (Alias)

In movies: Mr. Smith (The Matrix), Neil McCauley (Heat), Capt. Barbosa (POTC), Hans Gruber (Die Hard)

Unlikely choices, but I've always found that the most interesting villians are the ones who feel their actions are justified. I avoided Bond villians because they are a dime a dozen an non-recurring. Star Wars villians are also highly interesting, especially if you read the novels, because their motives are greatly detailed and explained, and you gain a sense of understanding why they are the way they are.

Darth Vader yes, soze, he wasn't much of a villian, he was more of a surprise, for those that didn't see it coming.

Adolf Hitler - Hitler: The Rise of Evil

Hugo Drax - Moonraker

Freddy Krueger - A Nightmare on Elm Street

Bruce - Jaws

Pizuzzu - The Exorcist

Terminator - The Terminator

Damien Thorn - The Omen trilogy

Vigo - Ghostbusters II

Henry Kane - Poltergeist II: The Other Side

Khan Noonian Singe - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Joker - Batman

Penguin - Batman Returns

Lex Luthor - Superman: The Movie

General Zod - Superman II

Darth Vader - Star Wars

Emperor Palpatine - "

Commodus - Gladiator

The Cigarette Smoking Man - The X-Files

Apophis - Stargate SG-1, Seasons 1 - 5

Anubis - Stargate SG-1, Seasons 5 - 8

Carter Burke - Aliens

The Kitchen Sink - ???

Kevin Spacy in Superman Returns and Geoffery Rush in Pirates of The Carribean, Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train, George Mason in North By Northwest, the oft-mentioned Gene Hackman in Superman. Amrish Puri in Temple of Doom, Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List, Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York, Ian McKellen in the X-Men films, Jack Nicklson in Batman, Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal, Ted Levine in Silence of The Lambs, whoever played Blofeld in From Russia With Love, and many more who don't come to mind at the moment.

Bill The Butcher is probably one of my top five favorite villains. What a character. What a performance.

Anthony Dawson played Blofeld in From Russia With Love, but his voice was dubbed by Eric Pohlmann. Blofeld is never seen beyond his chest in that film. Anthony Dawson, incidentally, also played professor Dent in Dr. No.

This yearz I was particularly impressed by Phillip Seymour Hoffmans's Owen Davian from MI:3. :P

Did anyone mentioned Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty or Kevin Spacey's John Doe?

Morlock wrote:

Kevin Spacy in Superman Returns

Umm, hello, what is this?

Kevin Spacey in Se7en The perfect villain. ( see Joe how it's spelt)

Anthony Dawson played Blofeld in From Russia With Love, but his voice was dubbed by Eric Pohlmann. Blofeld is never seen beyond his chest in that film.

...which is precisely why he is such a great villain. So much more menecing than Telly.

Morlock wrote:
Kevin Spacy in Superman Returns

Umm, hello, what is this?

Kevin Spacey in Se7en The perfect villain. ( see Joe how it's spelt)

If you were referring to the spelling, I am a notoriously bad speller. But I thought Spacey was fantastic as Luthor. And, of course, he was fantastic in Se7en, one of the greats.

Darth Vader from Star Wars

The Klopeks from Burbs

Bruce the Shark from Jaws

Col Tavington from Patriot

Lex Luthor from Superman Returns and Superman the Movie.

Eric from Billy Madison

Saruman from Lord of the Rings

Count Dooku from Star Wars

and you guessed it Dracula! (Yay Christopher Lee)

Darth Maul

Headless Horseman

Darth Vader - (Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back) Here Vader is cold and ruthless. Not the conflicted p*ssy he would become in the other 4 films.

Bruce aka Jaws - (Jaws) Eats and destroys without hesitation.

Godzilla - (Gojira 1954) In the original film he is pure evil. He destroys Tokyo, reducing it to rubble.

Hans Beckert - Peter Lorre - (M) A sadistic child killer who whistles "In the Hall of the Mountain King"

Hannibal Lector - (Silence Of The Lambs) Cannibals always rank high and Hopkins is perfect as Lector in the first film.

Khan - (Star Trek II) Full of charisma and caring for his own yet ruthless in his revenge.

Norman Bates - (Psycho) A shy, innocent appearance on the outside yet deeply disturbed.

a few others:

Freddy Kruger (1st Nightmare film only)

Buford T. Justice

Dracula - Christopher Lee

Dr. Hannibal Lecter, Silence of the Lambs

Khan, STII: The Wrath of Khan

Norman Bates, Psycho

Hal 9000, 2001 A Space Oddysey

Mr. Potter, It's a Wonderful Life

Harry Lime, The Third Man

Noah Cross, Chinatown

Commudus, Gladiator

Some that come to mind and haven't yet been mentioned:

Ben Kingsley in Sneakers, Claude Rains and Basil Rahtbone in The Adventures of Robin Hood, Brad Pitt in Fight Club.

I never really considered Brad Pitt in Fight Club to be a villian, well, until the club changed into a terrorist organization.

Hal 9000, 2001 A Space Oddysey

I found HAL the most symphathetic character of that film.

Why? You know, other than the fact that he was just doing his job.

The reason why I picked Lieutenant Coffey as my second choice was well..he was pretty cool at first until he started showing signs of high pressure nervous syndrom (HPNS) then he started getting all pyschotic and he then became a true bad guy in the film. Like all bad guys, paranoid and will try to kill anyone who gets in his way.

One vote for Hans Gruber, he's one of the all time best

so

is

Arjen Rudd from Lethal Weapon 2,

and Alex, you're a spelling nazi, stop being that.

Aliens - They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Broken Arrow - Deakins

Hale - "You're out of your mind."

Deakins - "Yeah, ain't it cool?"

Hale - "I'm serious Deak, your mind has taken a walk off the map."

Deakins - "Maybe. But I'm still gonna kick your ass."

and Alex, you're a spelling nazi, stop being that.

?

Alex - who can't be a spelling nazi since he himself wrote Hannibal Lector.

Both were great performances, specially Neeson's.

Autopilot, especially Neeson.

Anthony Dawson/Eric Pohlman as Blofeld. I always found Donald Pleasance's performance a bit overrated (but still good); Savalas was good but not great; and as for Charles Gray... wimpy Blofeld in drag.... what was that all about? :wave:

Wait, what is this thread, a selection of the best villains in movies, or a list of all movie villains you can think of?

Personally, I have a soft spot for elegant villains who lack any remorse. Lamar Burguess, from Minority Report, is a good example. Or Scar, from The Lion King. I love a villain with a British accent.