• Han Solo and the Princess's Theme
    • The Emperor's Theme
    • Ewok's Theme
    • Anakin's Theme
    • Duel of the Fates
    • Across the Stars
    • Anakin's Betrayal (Lament Theme)
    • Battle of the Heroes

The ULTIMATE poll, which is your favourite, clear and simple. Which is the one you can listen to over and over again and never be ceased to amaze by the beauty and elegance of Williams' writing? I have listed the 15 most iconic themes from the 6 films, and the 5 highest rating will compete in a new poll in one month from today. Start voting!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the other themes have unique and different variations throughout the scores as well... I thought the Main Title is just a variation on Luke's Theme. Or vice versa, depending on which was written first.

Okay, I forgot they were the same theme. I'm only human ROTFLMAO

Generally though, the Main Title theme appears almost identically, minus some orchestration adjustments, in each film.

I'll go against the grain here with the main theme. It was spoofed and disco'd to death even before 1980, but personally I think it remains one of the most majestic themes ever. 1812 can't hold a candle to it, zarathustra sounds like elevator music next to it, and Beethoven was deaf by the time he wrote the 9th, 'nuff said. :-)

As much as I love all of the themes on the list, and as much as I would conceed that The Force Theme is a higher quality theme, my personal favorite is Duel of the Fates.

I've become so bored with the Main Title theme because it's on every SW soundtrack, and so I've heard it so many times. On my SW CD's I either skip that track or fast forward to the music after it.

I usually lean towards the Force theme, but Han Solo and the Princess has been getting better and better to my ears of late. Gerdhart's suite on the the Empire Strikes Back Symphonic suite CD is stunning.

Ted

I am very surprised The Imperial March hasn´t received a single vote.

Yeah, but I'm not terribly surprised. Due to it's recognizability and extended use in pop-culture events, I find it hard to acknowledge the Imperial March as a real piece of music anymore. I've always thought the concert piece was weak as compared to the theme's many different renditions in The Empire Strikes Back, and since it's become the trademark of villainy in pop-culture, it's almost like I don't even hear it anymore. The main title theme is the same way; I have little reaction to it the way I once did as a kid watching the movies without any knowledge of the music. I must say that I never get tired of hearing the intended version of the Imperial March for the "Aboard the Executor" scene, which of course was tracked out in favor of the much weaker concert piece.

Ted

Too many great ones to choose. I mean, if I can't even disregard the Main Theme and the Imperial March, how could I pick between the Force Theme and Leia's Theme (the concert suite of which is easily one of Williams all-time best compositions).

"Across The Stars." Just came at a distinctive time in my life, I guess. I remember when I first heard it, previewed months before I was able to purchase a recording, then I went to Ireland with my family and had it in my head. I just like it. Of course, the whole Episode I score is important to me, too, again because of the time in my life and the way I discovered it (on the classical radio station, of all places).

What about the "Throne Room" theme? Not the Force theme, but the Elgar/Pomp And Circumstance one? I might have voted for that.

~Conor

Where is the Cloud City theme? :thumbup:

Difficult choice. Along with Ben's Theme, the Emperor's Theme, Lament, Leia's Theme and Luke & Leia are all great!

I'm upset that the Imperial March has so few votes. It's just as much a piece of "Star Wars" as the Force theme (which is a very fine piece of music). The fact that it is the ultimate piece of music to symbolize evil or villainy suggests its impact.

I never tire of listening to it, or any of its renditions in the saga. He does so many manipulations with it that I never tire of it. Listen to it as Han Solo is being tortured in "Empire," then as Vader dies in "Jedi." Same notes, different emotion.

The Force theme can be adventurous, but I never really liked those renditions.

Jeff -- who has the Imperial March play when he logs off his laptop

The Force Theme, because it's so emotional and versatile. To me, it's more evocative of the entire saga than the main theme or the Imperial theme is.

Runner up: Yoda's Theme, particularly the concert version.

Tough. Although I adore the Force Theme I finally went with Princess Leia. The Force is beautiful, but ultimately serves as an extended motif. I don't think it could support an entire concert arrangement by itself (the horrible Skywalker Sound Throne Room comes to mind). Leia's Theme is just as beautiful, and the concert version is an amazing piece. In the end that just tipped the (very close) balance for me.

I'm upset that the Imperial March has so few votes. It's just as much a piece of "Star Wars" as the Force theme (which is a very fine piece of music). The fact that it is the ultimate piece of music to symbolize evil or villainy suggests its impact.

I never tire of listening to it, or any of its renditions in the saga. He does so many manipulations with it that I never tire of it. Listen to it as Han Solo is being tortured in "Empire," then as Vader dies in "Jedi." Same notes, different emotion.

The Force theme can be adventurous, but I never really liked those renditions.

Jeff -- who has the Imperial March play when he logs off his laptop

Even though I chose the force theme, I do agree with you. Its final statements of it in Jedi and Menace are very powerful.