Top 5 Albums of All Time

Trent Hoyt

Well we seem to have a lot of these threads going on so I thought I would change it up a bit.

This thread excludes film scores.

Lets keep it to Pop/Rock albums.

In no particular order:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band -The Beatles

Born to Run -Bruce Springsteen

Led Zeppelin I -Led Zeppelin

S&M -Metallica

Ten -Pearl Jam

...with too many honorable mentions.

I like it!

1. Animals - Pink Floyd

2. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

3. The Wall - Pink Floyd

4. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

5. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

Yeah, I'm more into Greatest Hits compilations rather than individual releases, unless it's a band I extremely love. i.e Early Days & Latter Days, Forty Licks, Best Of Bowie, etc. etc.

Yep, I love Pink Floyd if you hadn't noticed. I love how every album is one continuous song, no fade outs or breaks, makes a great listen for the entire CD. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are also some of my Top 10 favorite bands of all time, but all I have are several greatest hits CDs with all their best songs.

I get by with a little help with my friends...

My personal Top 5 favorite albums are...

Appetite for Destruction (Guns N' Roses)

Bat Out Of Hell (Meat Loaf)

Ten (Pearl Jam)

Fully Completely (The Tragically Hip)

Joshua Tree (U2)

-Erik-

Is that PDQ Bach on the left? ;)

Favourite pop/rock albums:

Kraftwerk: Autobahn (1974)

Sufjan Stevens: Illinois (2005)

Queen: A Night at the Opera (1975)

Vangelis: Earth (1973)

Mike Oldfield: Hergest Ridge (1973)

Others that could just have easily made the list, but I ran out of spaces:

Jean-Michel Jarre: Magnetic Fields (1981)

Yes: Relayer (1974)

Beatles: Abbey Road (1969)

Pink Floyd: Animals (1977)

Fleetwood Mac: Then Play On (1969)

David Bowie: 1:Outside (1995)

Queen: Sheer Heart Attack (1974)

Queen: Jazz (1978)

Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde (1966)

Damn this was a hard list to make! :( Too difficult to choose!

I'm happy with my top 5. I've lived with 4 of them for over 20 years and my love for them has only got stronger with time. The Sufjan Stevens is the newcomer to the list, but it's a truly stunning album. I've a feeling that in 20 years I'll still be playing it.

Marillion - Script for a Jester Tear

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Radiohead - OK Computer

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega

I'm happy with my top 5. I've lived with 4 of them for over 20 years and my love for them has only got stronger with time. The Sufjan Stevens is the newcomer to the list, but it's a truly stunning album. I've a feeling that in 20 years I'll still be playing it.

I fail to see Blood On The Tracks anyway on your list!

Appetite for Destruction (Guns N' Roses)

I prefer Use Your Illusion 1.

Joshua Tree (U2)

A very good one, but I still fail to see how Rolling Stone can rank this 100 (or was it more?) spots higher in their list of all-time bests than A Night at the Opera.

Some Rolling Stones should get a top spot, too. Perhaps Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed. I wouldn't even definitely exclude Voodoo Lounge - one of their latest albums, yet one that can compete with the best of them.

And though they're perhaps too new to have enough perspective for a top 5 spot, I'd like to at least give honourable mentions to the two Dresden Dolls albums. The second one perhaps being the better of the two.

[edit]

Ah, pop is also allowed.

1) Andrea Bocelli: Andrea Bocelli

2) Celine Dion: All the Way: A Decade of Song

3) Queen: Greatest Hits I

4) Sting: All This Time

5) Enya: The Memory of Trees

I fail to see Blood On The Tracks anyway on your list!

Blood on the Tracks is indeed a great album. BUT I think Blonde on Blonde outranks it. If I had included another Dylan on my list it would probably have been Blood on the Tracks, or maybe Desire (another work of genius!)

The albums that I played the most throughout the years:

Prefab Sprout: Steve Mcqueen

Steely Dan: Aja

Anthony Phillips: The Geese And The Ghost

Yes: Relayer

Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

Joni Mitchell: The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

Donald Fagen: The Nightfly

Phillip Aaberg: High Plains

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells

Vangelis: China

Michael Hedges: Aerial Boundaries

Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Yes: Close To The Edge

Alex

Yes: Relayer

Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells

Vangelis: China

Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Yes: Close To The Edge

Alex

You have great taste.

You have great taste.

Thanks! You too! Come on feel the Illinoise from Sufjan Stevens is great. Have you checked out Greetings From Michigan and Seven Swans? They're great too!

Wow, this is a hard choice, especially since I have to limit it to 5.

My choices in no particular order:

Synchronicity - The Police

Thriller - Michael Jackson - say what you want about him now but at the time this album was damn good.

Metallica - Metallica

Back In Black - AC/DC

Live - The Commodores - Yeah I know it's a concert featuring their top songs but man this album is a great.

You have great taste.

Thanks! You too! Come on feel the Illinoise from Sufjan Stevens is great. Have you checked out Greetings From Michigan and Seven Swans? They're great too!

Yes. After getting Illinois I've bought everything he did. I've also bought copies for everyone in my family, who are all fans now as well!

The only Sufjan I don't like much is his first CD "A Sun Came". It has a few nice tracks, but much of it is very silly and juvenile sounding. He got much better with his next album:

His weirdest album is actually very good. Enjoy Your Rabbit. It's like a techno hybrid of Mike Oldfield and Danny Elfman. Very dark, very interesting. Most Sufjan fans hate it though as it's so very different from his vocal/instrumental style. I love it. Check out the track "Year of the Rat" on i-tunes to get an idea of the music on the album.

You also mention Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I love that album! It is my joint favourite Alan Parsons album along with Pyramid.

Relayer: The best Yes album! No disrespect to the great Rick Wakeman (who wanted no part of Relayer), but that album has a depth, and a dark coldness that makes it very effective. The second half of The Gates of Delirium is incredible, the 8-minute instrumental evocation of a battle. Very powerful stuff. You really can't think of music this good as just "pop" music. It's closer to Stravinsky! ;)

Yes. After getting Illinois I've bought everything he did. I've also bought copies for everyone in my family, who are all fans now as well!

The only Sufjan I don't like much is his first CD "A Sun Came". It has a few nice tracks, but much of it is very silly and juvenile sounding. He got much better with his next album:

His weirdest album is actually very good. Enjoy Your Rabbit. It's like a techno hybrid of Mike Oldfield and Danny Elfman. Very dark, very interesting. Most Sufjan fans hate it though as it's so very different from his vocal/instrumental style. I love it. Check out the track "Year of the Rat" on i-tunes to get an idea of the music on the album.

You also mention Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I love that album! It is my joint favourite Alan Parsons album along with Pyramid.

Relayer: The best Yes album! No disrespect to the great Rick Wakeman (who wanted no part of Relayer), but that album has a depth, and a dark coldness that makes it very effective. The second half of The Gates of Delirium is incredible, the 8-minute instrumental evocation of a battle. Very powerful stuff. You really can't think of music this good as just "pop" music. It's closer to Stravinsky! :blink:

And, of course, you have Sufjan's "The Avalanche" too, right? I'm not sure about that album yet. "Songs For Christmas" is another "album" that I somehow don't explore as deep as the others. I guess I have to check "Enjoy Your Rabbit". Never even seen it.

To tell you the truth, I thought "I, Robot" and "Pyramid" from the Alan Parsons Project were great when I was 14-15 but now I don't like them so much anymore. I certainly don't like their output after "Pyramid". In fact, I never did. It's too polite, too schmaltzy: ingredients that, in my opinion, already started to sneak in during "Pyramid". I still love that incredible instrumental (electronic) track though.

Yes, "Relayer" has always been my favorite Yes album, eventhough I prefer Bill Bruford over Alan White. Patrick Moraz? He's simply fantastic on it! My second favorite, and generally seen as the very best Yes album, is "Close To The Edge". Damn, those album covers were so good! Of course, I have the LPs. If you don't have the Rhino CDs, then make it your business. They sound and look better than the Joe Gaswirt remasters!!!

Have you ever listened to "Olias Of Sunhillow" (Jon Anderson)? A very worthwhile solo album. It's unique in concept and sound! Timeless!

15344.jpg

Alex

And, of course, you have Sufjan's "The Avalanche" too, right? I'm not sure about that album yet. "Songs For Christmas" is another "album" that I somehow don't explore as deep as the others. I guess I have to check "Enjoy Your Rabbit". Never even seen it.

To tell you the truth, I thought "I, Robot" and "Pyramid" from the Alan Parsons Project were great when I was 14-15 but now I don't like them so much anymore. I certainly don't like their output after "Pyramid". In fact, I never did. It's too polite, too schmaltzy: ingredients that, in my opinion, already started to sneak in during "Pyramid". I still love that incredible instrumental (electronic) track though.

Yes, "Relayer" has always been my favorite Yes album, eventhough I prefer Bill Bruford over Alan White. Patrick Moraz? He's simply fantastic on it! My second favorite, and generally seen as the very best Yes album, is "Close To The Edge". Damn, those album covers were so good! Of course, I have the LPs. If you don't have the Rhino CDs, then make it your business. They sound and look better than the Joe Gaswirt remasters!!!

Have you ever listened to "Olias Of Sunhillow" (Jon Anderson)? A very worthwhile solo album. It's unique in concept and sound! Timeless!Alex

Yes I have Songs for Christmas and The Avalanche. They are less than perfect, but they weren't really conceived as albums but rather filler projects so I go a little easier on them. Actually I think The Avalanche is almost a great album. If he cut out all the noodling tracks and just left the upbeat instrumentals and songs, and only had one version of Chicago it would be a truly great 40-minute album. As for Enjoy Your Rabbit, I still recommend you listen to Year of the Rat before buying the whole album. I recommend it wholeheartedly, but I'm also slightly reserved because most people don't like it much and I don't want you to spend the money and then hate it. BTW go to the ashmatic kitty official website to buy Sufjan CDs, they are just $10 each!

Alan Parsons, I see what you mean about the Schmaltzy sound, but for me it doesn't get too bad until the 80s. Vulture Culture is the worst offender! It doesn't even have Andrew Powell's orchestral input!

Never heard of the Jon Anderson album. I'll have to check it out. What year is it? I don't really like much Yes after Drama so do you think I'd like it?

I saw Yes live about 4 years ago! Classic line-up: Anderson, White, Wakeman, Howe, and Squire. They did all 70s material. Nothing from Relayer, but they did Close To The Edge and Fragile almost complete! Great concert!

Never heard of the Jon Anderson album. I'll have to check it out. What year is it? I don't really like much Yes after Drama so do you think I'd like it?

The album is made in 1976. This is vintage stuff, pixie. Of course you'll like it!

To me, Yes stops being good after Relayer. Going For The One is not for me. And I definitely can't listen to their 80s and 90s albums.

1. Beatles White Album

Indeed. Indeed.

Deep Purple's Machine Head has been getting a lot of play time recently, as has Jethro Tull's Warchild, two favorites of mine. Johnny Cash at Folsum Prison, a must.

Ok now you've got me interested! I'll definitely check it out.

You two seem to be die-hard Yes! fans. Trevor Rabin was the guitarist. Seems a lot of today's composers originally started out in a pop/rock band. Basically everyone at Remote Control did, which is why their music is heavily influenced by the "rock" sound and synth.

As for me, Bob Dylan is the greatest thing to ever happen to music. My Top albums of his would be:

- Blood On The Tracks - Desire - Time Out Of Mind - Love And Theft - Oh Mercy - Blonde On Blonde

Basically everything he's ever done.

I don't consider Dylan as a band, but a musical artist. For bands, Pink Floyd is my #1. Tops are:

Wish You Were Here - Animals - Dark Side Of The Moon - The Wall - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and The Doors are all great bands that I love. However, greatest hits compilations are enough for me to enjoy their music. Forty Licks - Early Days & Latter Days - The Ultimate Collection - and Best Of... provide enough for me. The Beatles compilations I have spans all of their music, from '62 to '70, everything I'll ever need.

David Bowie and Elton John are also great musical artists, their greatest hits CDs are enough for me, same goes for Queen.

• 8 years later...

I see that people have also included stuff like jazz and electronic music above. I'd like to save my top list for electronic music to a later time, and just focus on the pop/rock part, pr. the topic starter's request -- and keeping it to just ONE album pr band/artist:

1. EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS (Supertramp)

2. TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION (The Alan Parsons Project)

3. THE WALL (Pink Floyd)

4. MUTTER (Rammstein)

5. DEAD MAN'S PARTY (Oingo Boingo)

...but I need to cheat by including at least 5 more:

6. SCOUNDREL DAYS (a-ha)

7. HOW DARE YOU? (10CC)

8. WATCH (Manfred Mann's Earthband)

9. PET SOUNDS (The Beach Boys)

10. GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD (Elton John)

I could easily do a Top 50 or 100 here.

ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS - David Bowie

COME ON FEEL THE ILLINOISE - Sufjan Stevens

ABBEY ROAD - The Beatles

XO -Elliott Smith

MURDER BALLADS - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

On 17/10/2007 at 6:20 AM, pixie_twinkle said:

Is that PDQ Bach on the left? ;)

Favourite pop/rock albums:

Kraftwerk: Autobahn (1974)

Sufjan Stevens: Illinois (2005)

Queen: A Night at the Opera (1975)

Vangelis: Earth (1973)

Mike Oldfield: Hergest Ridge (1973)

Others that could just have easily made the list, but I ran out of spaces:

Jean-Michel Jarre: Magnetic Fields (1981)

Yes: Relayer (1974)

Beatles: Abbey Road (1969)

Pink Floyd: Animals (1977)

Fleetwood Mac: Then Play On (1969)

David Bowie: 1:Outside (1995)

Queen: Sheer Heart Attack (1974)

Queen: Jazz (1978)

Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde (1966)

Damn this was a hard list to make! :( Too difficult to choose!

What a fantastic list, Pixie!!!!!

HERGEST RIDGE

plus

RELAYER

1 OUTSIDE

the vastly underrated MAGNETIC FIELDS

JAZZ

SHEER HEART ATTACK

ANIMALS

BLONDE ON BLONDE

Effing brilliant...and that's just the back-up list!

If we're talking strictly what might fit into the popular music section of a record store, and thus no electronic/jazz/classical/film stuff, then it's:

1) The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

2) Another Green World - Brian Eno

3) Ten Summoner's Tales - Sting

4) Sheik Yerbouti - Frank Zappa

5) River of Dreams - Billy Joel

Good lord, to think there was a time when I only wanted to listen to greatest hits compilations. A lot can change in 9 years! These must have been some of my very first posts.

Anyway, an on-the-spot top 5 would look something like:

1. The Hands That Thieve/The Hand That Thieves - Streetlight Manifesto/Toh Kay

2. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin

3. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

4. Animals - Pink Floyd

5. The Beatles - The Beatles

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Good lord, to think there was a time when I only wanted to listen to greatest hits compilations. A lot can change in 9 years! These must have been some of my very first posts.

Anyway, an on-the-spot top 5 would look something like:

1. The Hands That Thieve/The Hand That Thieves - Streetlight Manifesto/Toh Kay

2. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin

3. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

4. Animals - Pink Floyd

5. The Beatles - The Beatles

Nice to see love for HOTH, my 2nd fave LZ record.