Lucasfilm giving "serious consideration" to new Indiana Jones trilogy CDs

crumbs

"Lucasfilm is currently considering rereleases of all three film scores for sometime next year. Not sure if it's going to happen yet, or if they'll be expanded releases, but the releases are already under serious consideration."

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8723

From Steven Awalt, who has very close ties to Amblin, Dreamworks and Spielberg. This is bloody awesome news. You wouldn't think they'd rerelease the old Temple of Doom CD given its small running time, or the Last Crusade CD with its awful sound quality. I wouldn't expect the Raiders CD to change much though.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, well, I signed that silly petition. I suppose that since this is actually a possibility, we should actually put some effort into convincing Lucasfilm. You should all sign it.

Lucasfilm have to know they're sitting on a goldmine with Indiana Jones complete scores. If Alien can sell 3000 copies in a few weeks, complete Indiana Jones could probably sell thousands more just to diehard film fans, and countless times that amount to Indiana Jones fans and casual moviegoers who enjoy this sort of music. The buzz surrounding this franchise will hit fever pitch from March next year, they need to capitalise! There is nothing to lose for them...

I'm pretty sure they won't be Complete Editions nor will they just be re-releases the OSs.

I'm pretty sure they will be Expanded Releases.

:):ola::ola:

P.S. By the way (I don't wanna crush everybody's hopes but), what do we know exactly about Steven Awalt? Does he work at Lucasfim or Amblin? Why can we be so sure that he's got insider information that's accurate?

You wouldn't think they'd rerelease the old Temple of Doom CD given its small running time, or the Last Crusade CD with its awful sound quality.

You also wouldn't think Lucasfilm would release the untouched Star Wars originals in the worst possible form.

You also wouldn't think Lucasfilm would seriously release one of the most anticipated scores ever in the butchered form they appeared in the film and call that the "Ultimate Edition".

You also wouldn't expect the 30th anniversary of Star Wars to present nothing but yet another reheated release of the scores and DVDs we had the good fortune to see being labelled as "all new" several thousand times before, for whatever perverted reason.

You also wouldn't expect Sony to miss out on milking the cow a little more by not releasing Spider-Man 3 at all.

You also wouldn't expect that Media Ventures' popularity was so big that a silly petition for a crap score like Transformers could make executives' asses move.

You also wouldn't expect Hans Zimmer to write a woodwind solo.

On the upside, I might get Temple Of Doom for less than you would normally pay for a presentable hooker.

Oh well, merry chr ... I mean Festivus.

If these don't turn out to be AT LEAST expanded, then by this time next year, I know who will have to endure the "Feats of strength".

Lucas film is a commercial firm. There's no profit in re-releasing the old Indy scores (with their wall-to-wall action cues). How much people (die hard fans) would be buying them? 5000 at best? The casual man has only interest in the film(s), not the score(s).

Pessimist? Me? No, realist.

Depending on pricing, a box set of the original 3 scores, plus the 4th one, could cost upwards of $60+. Assuming it sells only 5000 copies (which is nonsense..considering the fan base of John Williams, Steven Spielberg, and these films), that's still a substantial amount of profit. Lucasfilm don't need to pay anybody usage rights to use these scores, and I'd say most of the masters were cleaned up 4 years ago for the DVDs.

Depending on pricing, a box set of the original 3 scores, plus the 4th one, could cost upwards of $60+. Assuming it sells only 5000 copies (which is nonsense..considering the fan base of John Williams, Steven Spielberg, and these films), that's still a substantial amount of profit. Lucasfilm don't need to pay anybody usage rights to use these scores, and I'd say most of the masters were cleaned up 4 years ago for the DVDs.

You're forgetting the fanbase already has these CDs. How much are willing to double dip for this? That's right, only you, Indy 4, Josh 2000, Josh3000, Stefancos, Indysolo, Joey, Morlock and Marc the moderator. The people on the street have no interest in this. They might wanna see the new movie though.

Who? Me? A pessimist? Get out of here!

I wouldn't expect the Raiders CD to change much though.

I'd hope it would.

Anyway, I'll rejoice when (if) this becomes official. Who knows how many times they're already given these releases "serious consideration" before.

You're forgetting the fanbase already has these CDs. How much are willing to double dip for this? That's right, only you, Indy 4, Josh 2000, Josh3000, Stefancos, Indysolo, Joey, Morlock and Marc the moderator. The people on the street have no interest in this. They might wanna see the new movie though.

How on earth is it a double dip if they're expanded releases of all 3 scores with remastered audio? There wouldn't be many film score fans that wouldn't buy that, or Indiana Jones fans.

And a lot of the fanbase do NOT have these CDs. Indiana Jones fans aren't limited to people who were around when the CDs were initially in print; I certainly wasn't.

Has it ever occurred to you that constant negativity is really, really unproductive?

Who the heck are Josh2000 and Josh3000??? :lol:

Now, I am a realist, but I don't quite agree with you.

Indiana Jones is popular the world over (more popular than Alien, I bet!). I'm sure if those new releases were marketed properly they'd sell quite a few copies. Of course, not comparable with a new Britney CD, but for a soundtrack they'd be the closest thing to bestsellers.

If what you said were true, then what's the point in releasing ANY soundtrack? Know what I mean?

Besides, Star Wars and Superman and E.T. and Jaws all got re-releases. What does this tell you?

Of course, not comparable with a new Britney CD, but for a soundtrack they'd be the closest thing to bestsellers.

I don't think they'd sell as well as Titanic did.

Why the hell would you want to compare it to Titanic? :lol:

If you strap a casual man in a chair and put on Indiana Jones, the result would be quite similar to Alex de Large watching violent movies in A Clockwork Orange. Now do the same, but this time put on Gladiator, and the test person will think he died and went to heaven. That's realism, boys.

Of course, not comparable with a new Britney CD, but for a soundtrack they'd be the closest thing to bestsellers.

Because Titanic is the best-selling movie score of all time. You did say bestseller, did you not?

Because Titanic is the best-selling movie score of all time. You did say bestseller, did you not?

No I didn't. I said, "closest thing to bestsellers."

Do you also compare Indiana Jones the movie to Titanic the movie?

Idiots! :D

Alex, Indiana Jones is a brand name just like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and, like these other franchises, there is now a new movie right around the corner. When it comes to soundtracks, there isn't much out there more popular than Indy. When it comes to film composers, there isn't anyone out there more popular than Williams. The fact that the average guy on the street doesn't buy soundtracks is irrelevant. Score releases and rereleases happen all the time in spite of this, so the average-joe-argument doesn't hold water here. Have you been to starwars.com lately, it's all about selling crap. Or how about entertainment earth? Now there is a mountain of stuff that the average joe has no interest in, yet there is huge market for "geek product" (for lack of a better term). I remember recently they sold a bust of Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin. Really, Alex, how many people do you know that own stuff like that? I think its safe to say that the average joe out there has more soundtracks in his house, on average, than an expensive bust of a minor character from a film franchise. If crap like that can get the greenlight, so too can soundtracks which have a far greater appeal. John Williams has his own fanbase out there, Star Wars & Indiana Jones is a fairly big fanbase, same with Spielberg, there is also the audiophile crowd. There is much overlapping in these markets, yes, but they are still out there.

I'm a realist too, I'm not getting my hopes by any means but there is still a definite possibility of getting the IJ scores rereleased, whether its straight reissues or expanded/complete/remastered.

It's not irrelevant since scores that make mucho buckos are scores that appeal to a non-score buying market. That's right, the average joe on the street buys Titanic and Gladiator. I'm not sure whether you can compare it to Star Wars for that's quite a geeky crowd. I'm not even sure if the new Star Wars scores sold all that well either. Is that comparable to the sales of the original Star Wars in 1977 when Williams was still thought of as a miracle genius? I don't think so. I know more fans of the Indiana Jones movies than Star Wars fans and none of them buys the soundtracks. Only Williams fans do.

How many copies did the first Potter sell? I'm sure it did well (perhaps Potter fans are like Star Wars fans). Did the others Potters equalled it? Anyone knows?

Wether they be full scores or just re-releases of the OST's with the 4th I will still pick them up. I don't have the Indiana Jones scores yet and this will be a good opportunity for me.

No I didn't. I said, "closest thing to bestsellers."

And Titanic is the closets thing to a beststeller as far as film score releases are concerned...

Do you also compare Indiana Jones the movie to Titanic the movie?

...but you just don't want to see that, I guess.

FSM's poll has nothing to do with the a possibility of the scores being released. Studio execs aren't going to care what 2000-3000 film score fans want when it comes down to business and dollars.

If Steve Awalt is reporting it as a possibility then I believe it.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

Even if it is download only, they should release all the music they can get their hands on. And then use that for the model for the prequels.

At least one person said something very right in this thread. LucasFilm is a firm, a private one at that, and they can easily make this profitable.

This is not a major corporation that has to get licensing rights from 30 different organizations and pay royalties to 40 parties at 1% each to release this thing. All the rights to these scores, if I recall correct, are owned by LucasFilm.

Second of all, scores are by their nature marketing tools. That's why you have so many scores that are released that don't turn direct profit.

Third, the Indiana Jones series sold very well.

They will turn a profit from this, MARK MY WORDS, they may jack up the price to $100, but they WILL make a profit, and they will release something along the lines of expanded, because that's the thing with the audience for such a thing. They are silly enough to shell out $100 and provide a nice profit margin for LucasFilm.

That's why the petition might work. You present LucasFilm with just 5,000 signatures, to them it will be 5,000 promissory notes saying I'm such a nerd, I would pay $109 for a box set of these!

And I think I can legally say I'm the only one in this thread who is posting with no personal stake/fanboyish hopes and bitternesses in this...I honestly don't care about complete versions of these scores, for reasons I've discussed before. No not because of their quality.

How many copies did the first Potter sell? I'm sure it did well (perhaps Potter fans are like Star Wars fans). Did the others Potters equalled it? Anyone knows?

If I remember correctly, Philosopher's Stone sold around 200,000, but the sequels garnered far less. Blumenkohl has the figures.

Well we shall see if Lucasfilm cares or not.

If we get the original releases then you can expect to wait many years for the expanded version or possibly never in your lifetime.

Frankly I'm expecting the original releases, it would be the cheapest and easiest thing for Lucasfilm to do, that way they can continue to keep releasing them every 5 to 10 years ala Star Wars.

It's not irrelevant since scores that make mucho buckos are scores that appeal to a non-score buying market.

Those scores that top the charts are irrelevant too. Score releases today don't get greenlit because of wild sales on one particular soundtrack to a hit film from 10 years ago. Titanic was 10 years ago, Gladiator seven years. Do you think soundtrack producers are releasing obscure film film scores with the expectation of getting anywhere near Titanic CD sales numbers. "Hmmm, Titanic sold millions of copies. What soundtracks do we have in the vault? A 1970s Jerry Goldsmith score to a movie that bombed? OK, go for it!" Hit film score albums are a fluke and always associated with a wildly successful film.

Is that comparable to the sales of the original Star Wars in 1977 when Williams was still thought of as a miracle genius?

The more successful a movie, the more successful its soundtrack and merchandise in general. Indiana Jones is a pretty successful movie franchise. Hmmm, 2 plus 2....

I know more fans of the Indiana Jones movies than Star Wars fans and none of them buys the soundtracks. Only Williams fans do.

Oh, so the people in your life represent an accurate cross section of the population in terms of music buying preference. When the Karate Kid scores were released, I called up a friend of mine who is not a film score collector but someone that just likes the Karate Kid movies a lot. I told him about the box set and that it is most definitely a one time thing. Guess what, he bought them! The Karate Kid, Alex, the freaking Karate Kid trilogy. How many people on the street recognize the theme from that movie?! Yet it got released, along with The Next Karate Kid! And guess what, its sold out!

There is absolutley no financial reason not to release the Indy scores right now. It's a guaranteed seller for many reasons.

I'm pretty sure they won't be Complete Editions nor will they just be re-releases the OSs.

I'm pretty sure they will be Expanded Releases.

:lol::D:o

P.S. By the way (I don't wanna crush everybody's hopes but), what do we know exactly about Steven Awalt? Does he work at Lucasfim or Amblin? Why can we be so sure that he's got insider information that's accurate?

we know he's a very reliabe source, he runs the best Spielberg site on the internet and has had insider info before, if he says its a possibility you better believe it.

I have to agree that this is a mega franchise - and anything released with the Indy name on it would sell. I'm surprised Lucasfilm even has to 'consider' it.

Heck, Michael Clayton got a CD release. Probably sold 3 copies. Come on George...

Alex, Indiana Jones is a brand name just like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and, like these other franchises, there is now a new movie right around the corner. When it comes to soundtracks, there isn't much out there more popular than Indy. When it comes to film composers, there isn't anyone out there more popular than Williams. The fact that the average guy on the street doesn't buy soundtracks is irrelevant. Score releases and rereleases happen all the time in spite of this, so the average-joe-argument doesn't hold water here. Have you been to starwars.com lately, it's all about selling crap. Or how about entertainment earth? Now there is a mountain of stuff that the average joe has no interest in, yet there is huge market for "geek product" (for lack of a better term). I remember recently they sold a bust of Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin. Really, Alex, how many people do you know that own stuff like that? I think its safe to say that the average joe out there has more soundtracks in his house, on average, than an expensive bust of a minor character from a film franchise. If crap like that can get the greenlight, so too can soundtracks which have a far greater appeal. John Williams has his own fanbase out there, Star Wars & Indiana Jones is a fairly big fanbase, same with Spielberg, there is also the audiophile crowd. There is much overlapping in these markets, yes, but they are still out there.

I'm a realist too, I'm not getting my hopes by any means but there is still a definite possibility of getting the IJ scores rereleased, whether its straight reissues or expanded/complete/remastered.

Amen! Couldn't have expressed it any better myself. :lol:

You also wouldn't expect Hans Zimmer to write a woodwind solo.

Does the opening of "This Land" count?

indy4 - who both hopes and thinks that we will get these scores expanded at least

If I remember correctly, Philosopher's Stone sold around 200,000, but the sequels garnered far less. Blumenkohl has the figures.

John Williams got a Gold Record Award from the Philosopher's Stone and it sold over 500 000 copies.

Man I hope it's not just rereleases of the original OSTs. If they are I'd only get ToD since I don't have a pressed copy of it. But if it is the complete scores, I'll pay whatever they charge.

And please, once and for all, what is wrong with the sound on Last Crusade?

If it's a re-issue,a few people (who already have MP3's) could get a pressed copy of TOD to put in their c.d. shelf.Who friggen cares.

Expanded scores or it's a total waste of my time

Last Crusade just has lacklustre audio mixing. Not sure if it's the masters themselves, or the CD, but it lacks dynamic or sonic range, clarity, and sounds generally flat and muddy. Compare the strings in that score to, say, Jurassic Park, and you'll see what I mean. It could easily be cleaned up by some quick remastering, or just using higher quality masters.