Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

Sound is finite. Human hearing of sounds is even more finite. Music is even more finite. Classical (used in a broad sense of the word - western music) music is even more finite. 70s classical music even more finite. And so on.

Couple that with our amazing brain's ability to blur things out of sight out of mind completely together, and music is very very very finite. :(

I would actually rather he stopped fiddling with synthesizing orchestras and move into designing more strange and exotic synthesized instruments.

It's already being done. He worked with Diego Stocco on Sherlock Holmes, who is without a doubt a genius when it comes to instrumentation. He invented all sorts of instruments, and you can watch him perform them on his website (Click on "Watch").

The Experibass and Music From A Tree are my favorites. That's right, he turned a tree into an instrument.

There's a degree of imagination called for, so if you're an exclusively technical listener you will never know that joy of letting the music carry you on such a journey.

I agree. The scenes where the score works, it really does work for me like you said. It's just frustrating that the entire score isn't like that for me, just isolated patches.

From reading the other Zimmer thread recently, I would never expect a thread like this to exist here. But I'm really glad it does. Zimmer is my 4th favourite film composer.

He's around my fifth or sixth as well. And Thor, my very first post on this forum 4 years ago was a thread about Zimmer ;)

You rule! Takes guts to post that on a Williams board, I guess.

As long as we're doing lists, here's mine:

1. John Williams

2. Danny Elfman

3. Elliot Goldenthal

4. Hans Zimmer

5. Georges Delerue

6. James Horner

7. Jerry Goldsmith

8. Vangelis

9. Alan Silvestri

10. Basil Poledouris

Or something. These things change continually.

My top ten:

Gustav Mahler

Dimitri Shostakovich

Sergej Prokofiev

Bela Bartok

Ralph Vaughan Williams

William Walton

Igor Stravinskij

Claude Debussy

Jean Sibelius

oh, and a certain guy named John Williams.

:P

Jokes apart, I always find impossible to rank artists and their opuses... it brings to my mind the line from Dead Poets Society, when Professor Keating says "We're talking about poetry. How can you describe poetry like American Bandstand? "I like Byron, I give him a 42 but I can't dance to it!". For me, the same goes for music.

I'm happy I can enjoy composers' works without worrying how they rank in my own personal Top 40 list or whatever, be it classical music, rock, jazz or film music. Our personal "Top Favourites" lists say much more of how we perceive music and our relationship with it than the actual inner value of the music itself.

I can't rank composers either; I don't even really have favourite any more. JNH has started to lose me, every since he started taking on loads of smaller projects that demand nothing musically special, and when it became clear his friendship with Zimmer is affecting his style.

But on a theoretical list, Zimmer would probably be somewhere around 8 or 9, behind Powell, Elfman, Horner JNH, T.Newman, etc. He has talent, but most directors don't want it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so I finally checked out the Rango movie and was very impressed. It starts kinda slow, but it gets better with every minute. The third act and the Snake were the best parts. And the music was pretty good too, but I was dissapointed to see that a lot of the best music in the movie isn't included in the soundtrack. A shame, as there was a lot of nice stuff that for some reason didn't make it to the album. One thing that annoyed me was the synth trumpet, that really ruined the whole piece. I mean, if you're homaging Morricone at least use a real trumpet!

After seeing the movie, I watched all Sergio Leone films again and man, what a great genre of movie this is. Spaghetti-Westerns are the best thing that ever happened to Westerns.

However, I keep thinking what if Alan Silvestri would have scored it. After all, he was a collaborator with Verbinksi and something like his score for The Mexican would have fitted the film perfectly...

I could barely hear any synths in the score. It was really an orchestral powerhouse from Zimmer. Quotes from The Magnificent Seven and Once Upon A Time In The West, even the use of "Ride Of The Valkyries" from My Name Is Nobody. It was all perfectly executed. An animated film for adults and western fans. My friend even asked after it was over if it was rated PG-13. Nope, it's just one of the few animated films that take advantage of its PG rating.

While Silvestri's The Mexican is a great score, I don't think he could have done what Zimmer did. Zimmer is a self-proclaimed Morricone lover, and its great to finally see him get the chance to go all out with the western genre.

Zimmer is a self-proclaimed Morricone lover, and its great to finally see him get the chance to go all out with the western genre.

Unfortunately, most of it just sounds like watered-down Tiomkin.

Zimmer is a self-proclaimed Morricone lover, and its great to finally see him get the chance to go all out with the western genre.

No way. Tiomkin's scores were always virtoisic, like Korngold. Lots of tuplet flourishes, lush orchestration, and polyphony. Though he had a tendency to be too hyperactive, at times.

This, is just Moriconne's Dollars scores given the Zimmer treatment. A mechanical, computerised sound, even if it's performed by an orchestra. He always instructs the orchestra to play as one big surrogate synthesiser, devoid of human expression (except the trumpet here). IMO that is abuse of the symphony orchestra.

Must be very dull for the players.

No way. Tiomkin's scores were always virtoisic, like Korngold. Lots of tuplet flourishes, lush orchestration, and polyphony. Though he had a tendency to be too hyperactive, at times.

This, is just Moriconne's Dollars scores given the Zimmer treatment. A mechanical, computerised sound, even if it's performed by an orchestra. He always instructs the orchestra to play as one big surrogate synthesiser, devoid of human expression (except the trumpet here). IMO that is abuse of the symphony orchestra.

Must be very dull for the players.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you know this:

In 2003 Luciano Pavarotti released the song "Il gladiatore" from his album Ti Adoro. The song was based on a theme from the score, featured on the soundtrack as track 4, "Earth". Pavarotti told Billboard magazine that he was meant to sing this song in the film, "But I said no then. Too bad. It's a magnificent song and a tough movie. Still, there is so much drama in just the song."

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that Zimmer guy has never done anything good. Defining genres, composing iconic themes, winning an Oscar. None of that is worthwhile.

Actually, we already have a separate thread dedicated to Zimmer's contribution. ;)

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19978&st=160

I'm not a Zimmer hater, far from it, I actually do think the guy has talent, but iconic or not, I still think the Pirates of the Caribbean theme is one of the worst things he has ever written and I sincerely doubt Zimmer himself is proud of it. On the other hand is Jack Sparrow theme is a lot of fun (before it gets all "wall of sound MV style")

I'm not a Zimmer hater, far from it, I actually do think the guy has talent, but iconic or not, I still think the Pirates of the Caribbean theme is one of the worst things he has ever written and I sincerely doubt Zimmer himself is proud of it. On the other hand is Jack Sparrow theme is a lot of fun (before it gets all "wall of sound MV style")

So what is the final word on who wrote the "He's A Pirate"-theme? Zimmer or Badelt? Is this a modern James Bond theme-like dispute, or is there more definite clarity on who wrote it?