FSM Reissues "The Accidental Tourist"

Delorean90

Could be, Trip to London works perfectly where it was placed though.

This certainly is terrific news and well timed too! One of my favourite films.

Shame they couldn't include the source music for the cinema scene as I always thought it sounded like Williams composed that short piece of exciting action music.

Let's hope this FSM / Warner afilliation continues to blossom - The Goonies, Police Academy, The Right Stuff ??? etc

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! This is great. Just like Mark, this and Spacecamp were practically the only ones I didn't have on a decent CD yet.

Is this the release for the most recent film for FSM? I'm glad they move into 80s territory as well. (Not that I have anything against the Golden Age).

Great news!

This was definitely one of the rarest JW scores, always going for $90 or higher on eBay. I'm glad I never actually bought it, this will fit nicely into my collection. ;)

Other rare JW scores I need: SpaceCamp, The Fury, Jaws 2, Indiana Jones, Stanley & Iris, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, The Reivers, Fitzwilly/The Long Goodbye

I think those are the only ones left that I do not own on CD. This surprises me, cause I would have thought that I would have bought Stanley & Iris by now. I should have got it from Varese when it was still in print, now I'm gonna have to pay a little extra.

Fitzwilly/The Long Goodbye

I think it would be a crime to all the unreleased scores over there if that got released AGAIN, after it was released by varese few years ago.

I think it would be a crime to all the unreleased scores over there if that got released AGAIN, after it was released by varese few years ago.

I don't.

I'm just sorry that Varese failed to release the complete recordings of The Long Goodbye.

mmm dont get your expectations too high, just in case.

Really? Why?

He may be expecting a blockbuster score ;)

By now I would assume everyone knows what this is... Afterall, if one is willing to pay a small fortune for a CD, one has to be sure it is worth the money.

Miguel, who got the original CD release c. 1990, for about 12 euros.

I don't.

I'm just sorry that Varese failed to release the complete recordings of The Long Goodbye.

it wouldbe a crime to release a re-issue of the varese release, not a complete release of both scores.

I don't.

it wouldbe a crime to release a re-issue of the varese release, not a complete release of both scores.

Again, it wouldn't be a crime, and surely all out there that missed the first release would welcome it.

What I do find a crime, is if Varese had acess to the complete sessions of The Long Goodbye, and only relesed part of it -- granted, they released some versions of the theme that weren't used, but a lot of them aren't on the CD, namelly one of the few underscore cues.

Care to guess which cue that was to be the alternate main title? My guess is "Trip to London."

Actually, "Trip to London" is in the film, though I think it has a slightly diferent ending.

I think the only crime is the guy who sold me what I thought was Fitzwilly/The Long Goodbye. I found it on eBay being sold for like $20 in like new condition and got it. Later on I got an e-mail from eBay saying there were problems and the item was removed from the marketplace. However, I already paid the guy, so i contacted the seller, he was shocked and affirmed me that I would receive the CD.

A couple weeks later, a garbagety CD-R copy of it arrives.

Great news!

This was definitely one of the rarest JW scores, always going for $90 or higher on eBay. I'm glad I never actually bought it, this will fit nicely into my collection. :blink:

Other rare JW scores I need: SpaceCamp, The Fury, Jaws 2, Indiana Jones, Stanley & Iris, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, The Reivers, Fitzwilly/The Long Goodbye

I think those are the only ones left that I do not own on CD. This surprises me, cause I would have thought that I would have bought Stanley & Iris by now. I should have got it from Varese when it was still in print, now I'm gonna have to pay a little extra.

Recently I pick up stanley & Iris throught amazon for a good prize

Recently I pick up stanley & Iris throught amazon for a good prize

Yeah, I checked the marketplace yesterday and it's being sold for $16 brand new. I'll pick that up, and I know the seller so I can trust them.

The Accidental Tourist happens to be in my Top 5 of favourite JW scores. Excellent to have it re-released in remastered format. Now if I can make those klucking sounds that Geena Davis' character makes so I can get Alma to sit on my lap.

Received my copy today. Nice liner notes. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference in sound quality from the cd-r that I had (which is now in the garbage), but at least I now have a legitimate copy. Very happy.

I won't reveal which track was originally the main title. That would be no fun. :rolleyes:

I got mine. Haven't listened to it yet -- Speed Racer and Lost Season Three are in line ahead of it, along with a few more spins of Crystal Skull -- but it was worth my money just for the liner notes.

I wish every score got that type of treatment. I wish I had more money to buy more of the ones that do.

Ok, so I suppose it's up to me to be the first to say I never listen to this score. I find it to be far too repetitive and dull. It pales in comparison to the far superior "Presumed Innocent" and "Stanley And Iris".

The Accidental Tourist is a boring score, and I don't like it.

Yes, I went there.

That's interesting since if anything is more repetitive than Accidental Tourist, Presumed Innocent would be a good candidate.

By the way, for those who have gotten it already, what's the alternate opening titles (or was that answered already?). I can't think of one cue that wasn't alreday in the movie off the top of my head.

- Adam

Ok, so I suppose it's up to me to be the first to say I never listen to this score. I find it to be far too repetitive and dull. It pales in comparison to the far superior "Presumed Innocent" and "Stanley And Iris".

The Accidental Tourist is a boring score, and I don't like it.

Yes, I went there.

It's a beautiful score. Very simple. The simplest scores are the best.

That's interesting since if anything is more repetitive than Accidental Tourist, Presumed Innocent would be a good candidate.

By the way, for those who have gotten it already, what's the alternate opening titles (or was that answered already?). I can't think of one cue that wasn't alreday in the movie off the top of my head.

- Adam

Okay, I'll spoil it. Look away if you don't want to know.

It's "The Wedding Scene."

Strange, to me The Accidental Tourist and Stanley And Iris are companion pieces. The first is about autumn, the second about spring.

I known I'm right about this.

Alex

Strange, to me The Accidental Tourist and Stanley And Iris are companion pieces. The first is about autumn, the second about spring.

Alex

I can't speak to that, but I know that I like both scores a lot. I wish Williams was still doing this type of score every few years; I like that side of his work.

I can't speak to that, but I know that I like both scores a lot. I wish Williams was still doing this type of score every few years; I like that side of his work.

It's too bad that Williams gets typecast! People just expect a big, lush sound from him. Those little chamber works are forever in the past.

Alex

Well put

I can't say that I find The Accidental Tourist the best Williams thing, but surelly, it's the one I identify the most, on a very personal way.

And while I haven't read the notes so far, I had the feeling of what would be the alternate main title :huh:

Of course it all boils down to taste, but I really don't find the Accidental Tourist theme to be interesting enough to warrent all the endless repetitions. Presumed Innocent on the other hand I find to be a gorgeous theme. As for Stanley and Iris, there are two principal themes to that score and both are beautiful. I agree that simplicity in music can be just as effective as complexity when used correctly, and certainly the intimate, small-scale scores I mentioned above are perfect examples of simplicity done right. The closing theme from Jaws is another great example. The simplicity of the end credit music is perfectly placed after the nerve-jangling action/horror music, the scherzos, and the fugue (well, almost a fugue...) that preceded it. I have no problem with simple music. Perhaps the score to Accidental Tourist works well within the movie (I haven't seen it). I just don't find the soundtrack CD to be a very interesting listening experience.

The Accidental Tourist is one of my favourite Williams drama scores! When I watched the movie the final scene gave me a shiver!!! That moment without the music (track A New Beginning) would be lost!

The Accidental Tourist is one of my favourite Williams drama scores! When I watched the movie the final scene gave me a shiver!!! That moment without the music (track A New Beginning) would be lost!

I agree. And you can say that about a lot of his scores, can't you?

I agree. And you can say that about a lot of his scores, can't you?

Absolutely!

Yes. Upon receiving the original, pressed CD, King Mark saw his Williams collection finally complete, in a way that only the most avid collectors can. Thus, his purpose on this planet was fulfilled and he passed away peacefully. He must be laying on the floor of his house, with The Accidental Tourist between his cold, dead hands, while his cat playfully gnaws his toe.

Long live the King.

Yes. Upon receiving the original, pressed CD, King Mark saw his Williams collection finally complete, in a way that only the most avid collectors can. Thus, his purpose on this planet was fulfilled and he passed away peacefully. He must be laying on the floor of his house, with The Accidental Tourist between his cold, dead hands, while his cat playfully gnaws his toe.

Long live the King.

I have the slight impression that I'm a even more avid collector than Mark...

I don't think these english native speaking people know what an OVNI is, Manuel ;)

I don't what is it?

It's pretty much the same thing as an UFO (undentified flying object)

OVNI is a similar acronym: objecto voador não identificado (which means pretty much the same thing)

I don't think these english native speaking people know what an OVNI is, Manuel ;)

;)

Long live the King.

I have the slight impression that I'm a even more avid collector than Mark...

so when the CD arrives at your home you will R.I.P. the package too?