Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

_d_ot

"I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat."

Well we have a vast majority of Raiders music, it seems like all the best cues are spoken for.

And we have more than enough KOCS music.

I will never understand that negative attitude towards anything Williams writes. You don't like his new approach? OK, good for you, but show a little more respect to a serious composer like John Williams and to those who keep enjoying his music.

Even though Raiders or Superman hardly rank among my favorite Williams scores, I don't feel the urge to say that in every single post.

_d_ot

"I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat."

Well we have a vast majority of Raiders music, it seems like all the best cues are spoken for.

I will never understand that negative attitude towards anything Williams writes.

Most people just seem to have that attitude towards anything new that Williams writes.

Which is a shame, because I don't think he's declined at all from his "golden era."

Neil

You'd say the same thing if we had no KOCS music, so...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull should not have been made. It's that simple. There were three fantastic films with three fantastic scores. Now it's the same, but you have an extra mediocre film and score added on to it. All of us would be perfectly happy without the fourth film.

And we wouldn't be getting these expanded editions if the fourth film wasn't made.

Hmm... perhaps. You can't say that definitely though. I could argue that without the fourth, there would be more room for complete scores rather than expanded.

Yes, but a majority of us are even happier that the 4th was made.

Depends on who you ask. I've met plenty of people who said the 4th film was utter crap. The truth lies somewhere in between, though I can in a way follow their emotions better. I didn't think it was a completely worthless movie, but I'm still surprised it was as as entertaining as it was. But it's *far* from being the near-perfect movie some people claim it to be.

And we wouldn't be getting these expanded editions if the fourth film wasn't made.

Hmm... perhaps. You can't say that definitely though. I could argue that without the fourth, there would be more room for complete scores rather than expanded.

No. First of all, as I said, there wouldn't even be a box set were it not for the fourth.

And including the KotCS OST probably cost them almost nothing, it's not like they decided to make a box set with 5 CDs and then work it out. They added up how many CDs it would take to release an expanded Raiders, ToD, LC, KotCS OST, and a bonus CD, and just happened to get 5 CDs. If KotCS hadn't been made and they just decided to release this out of the blue, it would have 4 CDs.

I will never understand that negative attitude towards anything Williams writes. You don't like his new approach? OK, good for you, but show a little more respect to a serious composer like John Williams and to those who keep enjoying his music.

Most people just seem to have that attitude towards anything new that Williams writes.

strawman.jpg

No. First of all, as I said, there wouldn't even be a box set were it not for the fourth.

And including the KotCS OST probably cost them almost nothing, it's not like they decided to make a box set with 5 CDs and then work it out. They added up how many CDs it would take to release an expanded Raiders, ToD, LC, KotCS OST, and a bonus CD, and just happened to get 5 CDs. If KotCS hadn't been made and they just decided to release this out of the blue, it would have 4 CDs.

It was originally supposed to be 4 anyway.

Still, I think there would have been more advertising if KotCS unreleased music was on this set. It's just another reason to buy it, I don't see why they would be concealing that.

theyve been concealing everything for 50 pages of this thread

Still, I think there would have been more advertising if KotCS unreleased music was on this set. It's just another reason to buy it, I don't see why they would be concealing that.

theyve been concealing everything for 50 pages of this thread

The stuff they've been concealing has just been through a lack of clarity, not through actual statements. For KotCS, they actually made an effort to emphasize that there will be no new material:

"The box set will also include the standard Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack (released earlier this year, no bonus material added)..."

Get the box. Who knows what will be on those seperate releases, and you won't get the 5th disk.

Okay, fine.

All right, preordered my copy via Deep Discount. Maybe I'll grow to love Raiders when I give it a spin.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull should not have been made. It's that simple. There were three fantastic films with three fantastic scores. Now it's the same, but you have an extra mediocre film and score added on to it. All of us would be perfectly happy without the fourth film.

three fantastic films????

Raiders was fantastic

Temple of Doom was might fine, but not quite fantastic

LC was anything but fantastic.

I'll wait and order mine because this is way overpriced.

Raiders was fantastic

I've been observing the links to sites where you can preorder the set that are being posted here, is it normal to have prices being lowered continuously the way they seem to be for now? When would be the best time to order?

Burga - new to this ordering online thing.

Has anyone had dealings with moviemusic.com. I want to try them out on a single album first and see whether they're service is good. They seem fairly cheap, postage wise, considering I'm in Australia.

Has anyone had dealings with moviemusic.com. I want to try them out on a single album first and see whether they're service is good. They seem fairly cheap, postage wise, considering I'm in Australia.

Saint Peter can do no wrong.

- Vosk

(j/k) I've ordered a number of times from MovieMusic, and I'm yet to have problems with their service. For more information, you can take a look at their ResellerRatings.com ratings page.

Cool. I think I'm going to order The Accidental Tourist off Peter next week once my Intradas arrive and then if it all works out I'll order the Indy set and perhaps Quantum of Solace.

I will never understand that negative attitude towards anything Williams writes.

That makes it sound like I should love and cherish everything he writes. Sorry, I'm not a lemming.

You don't like his new approach?

Not especially.

OK, good for you, but show a little more respect to a serious composer like John Williams and to those who keep enjoying his music.

I've been posting at this site for years and collecting and listening to his music even longer. I've shown plenty of respect towards John Williams and to even bring that up is ridiculous.

Even though Raiders or Superman hardly rank among my favorite Williams scores, I don't feel the urge to say that in every single post.

Nor should you, and I'm pretty sure I don't put down his new stuff in every post either. Some of it's even alright.

Regardless, it's silly and stupid for people to be clamoring for more KOCS music. Regardless of ones opinion of the music, the album will have been out less than 6 months when this new set is released. To start thinking now is the opportune time to expand it (when specifically we've been told that no extra music is coming for that film) is a bit silly.

Neil

That makes it sound like I should love and cherish everything he writes.

Of course not (and I never said you should love it), but you do it in such a patronizing way that it's that kind of void and negative criticism that confers film music network community in general and this site in particular such a bad reputation.

A little more humility on this board would be welcome, especially when judging someone's work which is far beyond one's knowledge (including me) and will never fully comprehend and be able to analyze the scope of his art.

A visit to the last Minority Report thread shows what I mean (and who can be constructive even being critic).

Nor should you, and I'm pretty sure I don't put down his new stuff in every post either.

Certainly not in every post. Mine was an overstatement.

Regardless, it's silly and stupid for people to be clamoring for more KOCS music. Regardless of ones opinion of the music, the album will have been out less than 6 months when this new set is released. To start thinking now is the opportune time to expand it (when specifically we've been told that no extra music is coming for that film) is a bit silly.

I won't even start an argument on what is silly and what is not.

That makes it sound like I should love and cherish everything he writes.

Of course not (and I never said you should love it), but you do it in such a patronizing way that it's that kind of void and negative criticism that confers film music network community in general and this site in particular such a bad reputation.

A little more humility on this board would be welcome, especially when judging someone's work which is far beyond one's knowledge (including me) and will never fully comprehend and be able to analyze the scope of his art.

A visit to the last Minority Report thread shows what I mean (and who can be constructive even being critic).

I've gotta stick with Peio here.

Want to maybe state an opinion once in a while Neil?

While I personally don't feel I need more music from KotCS (except maybe complete Jungle Chase), there are those who do, so why alienate those who actually dare to think the score is good, and then go and say:

I've been posting at this site for years and collecting and listening to his music even longer. I've shown plenty of respect towards John Williams and to even bring that up is ridiculous.

I think that's patronizing, and I don't think it's an excuse to go posting stuff like that one liner above.

Grow to love?

Whaaa?

Let's just say I wasn't alive when Raiders came out, and I was only 2 years old when LC came out.

I like the score for Raiders, it's just that I prefer the sequels over it. Heresy I know, but there you go.

Back to the ordering question (after a laugh at Hitch's pic)...

Amazon tends to have cheaper prices I think, I got The Omen Trilogy there a few months ago brand new at a bargain basement price. I don't know if they'll lower the price once it gets closer to release. As far as the soundtrack specialty sites go, I prefer SAE.

Raiders was fantastic

Your heart must be made of reinforced concrete Joe - I just don't understand what you think the first two movies have that the third doesn't.

This set is definitely overpriced in the UK, although that's the imported version, maybe they'll release it here too.

Quint - I just noticed your sig - I don't think I'll ever visualize Williams or Zimmer in the same way again.

Mark I'm not saying Joe should 'bow to the masses'. It's just that he always blasts LC, both the movie and score, and I don't think I've ever seen him discuss why he thinks they're so rubbish.

Quint - I just noticed your sig - I don't think I'll ever visualize Williams or Zimmer in the same way again.

Mark I'm not saying Joe should 'bow to the masses'. It's just that he always blasts LC, both the movie and score, and I don't think I've ever seen him discuss why he thinks they're so rubbish.

Actually...