Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

Well, I for one am completely at ease. We have a prominent film historian who has assembled excellent representations of Williams' most important works. Not to mention he knows how important the Indiana Jones films are in the history of modern cinema and in John Williams' repertoir. This set is in safe hands and I can't wait to get hold of it. Now, just give us a track list...

Not blindly.

CE3K was a great release but his Jaws and E.T were flawed.

Agreed on Jaws. If it were an Intrada release today, it would have had crisper sound quality and they would have included the album presentation on a second disc.

I'm amazed no one has suggested the so far still possible eventuality:

[Wild speculation]

Indiana Jones: The Complete Soundtracks Collection: Ultimate Edition

"Concord proudly presents the full scores from the first three films, arranged exactly as heard in the films themselves, ensuring the visions of the extraordinary sound editors are preserved"

[/Wild Speculation]

After the third press release, the thread has gone beyond recovery, so I'm gonna start having fun again, given that the newest one has basically shot down the 'unreleased only on disc 5' theory, and I can rest easy :)

Well, and this is one crazy hunch, the final track on the new Raiders CD is not titled 'Warehouse and End Credits' (instead of the actual 'Washington Ending and Raiders March') because maybe there's going to be an unreleased KotCS cue titled 'Warehouse' or something to that effect.

I agree with Richard, let's have fun now since all we have to do is wait for the box to be released.

Great NEW news! :)

Shame we will not get some KOTCS unreleased music possibly. With jungle chase and wharehouse I would be happy...

Could be on the 5th disc. But all I really think that should be taking up space on that cd from KotCS is the rest of "Jungle Chase". Of course, I only saw the movie once. There might be more that I didn't notice.

Not blindly.

The only problem I have with Jaws was the sequencing and that's because Williams was involved as well.

I don't want another note of KotCS, not if it means losing material from ToD or LC. I can't see this interview being more than 20 minutes, hopefully though it is no longer than 10.

The only problem I have with Jaws was the sequencing and that's because Williams was involved as well.

Indeed. The sound is not great, but fine, and the score is all there. A VCL or Intrada release would include both the OST and the album versions, but that wasn't common practice back then. E.T. is fine, too. Much better sound than the later Murphy remaster, and a good (though not quite complete) selection, except for the faulty take of the end credits.

I trust Bouzereau.

And do we know if the 5th disc is (entirely) and audio CD? The interview snippets might be video files on a CD-ROM track. (The music might also be there in MP3 format, but I rather doubt that)

Yeah I was wondering the same thing about the interviews. I'd actuall prefer them that way.

While I would have loved for Nick Redman or Michael Matessino to work on the IJ scores I trust Bouzereau as well.

Indeed. The sound is not great, but fine, and the score is all there.

And yet, for some reason, I listened to it only once, I think. Several years ago. This CD is a real dust collector on my shelf. Varese version, on the other hand, gets plenty of playtime on my "whatever I use to play music at the time" device. I even like the OST more than this Decca version.

Karol

The love for the Varese Re-recording still boggles my mind. I'm a big fan of McNeely's recordings but this album is just awful.

The original album of Jaws is a must have in my opinion.

Thank heavens Laurent Bouzereau is involved in this. I don't see any problem with E.T., CE3K and Jaws.

-Jaws indeed doesn't sound all that great. It was recorded in Fox Studios, and according to the linear notes from the FSM release of "Poseidon Adventure/Paper Chase" CD (also recorded at Fox), scores from the early and mid 1970's were recorded in a cheaper 35mm stock, wich deteriorate much faster, and they ended up using back-up tapes. I think that was the case with Jaws. About the sequencing, you can do your own. Here's the chronological order of it: 01-02-03-08-06-07-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-04-18-05-19-20. There you go, your complete and chronological Jaws score. The Varése Sarabande release of Jaws 2 isn't chronological either, but the linear notes itself tells you how the reprogram it.

-E.T., we indeed have a few "wrong" takes. "E.T. is dying" and "Goodbye". The "Goodbye" sequence, you can find the take that match the film on the very first CD edition. And "E.T. is dying" you can easily download the film version that is ripped from the audio-only track of the 1996 Signature Collection Laserdisc, plus a few minutes of unreleased music, with superb quality. There you go, your complete score with the right takes selected. Oh, we even have a SACD edition. It's not complete, but in 5.1 audio! I never though I'd be hearing the bicycle chase in 5.1 audio... a thrill!!!

-CE3K, I really don't see any problems with it. It sounds really excellent and we even have an alternate take from "The Escape". I also own the 2005 DVD-Audio, wich is the same as the original 1977 soundtrack release, and trust me: even at 192kHz 24-bit, it doesn't sound as good as the standard 44.1kHz 16-bit from the 1998 expanded CD. Maybe due to different masters being used... who knows...

So, again, if Laurent Bouzereau worries about giving us complete and high quality scores (even DVD-A and SACD versions of it), it's safe to say that not only we'll have greatly expanded Indiana Jones albums, but with superb quality!

-CE3K, I really don't see any problems with it. It sounds really excellent and we even have an alternate take from "The Escape".

It's one of my favourite CD's ever actually.

In fact, I think I'm going to listen to it just now. :)

Karol

The music lacks the excitement Williams managed to get from the original performances. The performance sounds sluggish at times, slower tempo. The shark theme sounds the same everytime it's played compared to how Williams managed to make it sound different on the original cues.

The music lacks the excitement Williams managed to get from the original performances. The performance sounds sluggish at times, slower tempo. The shark theme sounds the same everytime it's played compared to how Williams managed to make it sound different on the original cues.

Strange. But then I guess I was introduced to this score through this very recording really it I started to love this music because of it. The original came later for me. I'm still a child of the digital era. :)

Karol

-CE3K, I really don't see any problems with it. It sounds really excellent and we even have an alternate take from "The Escape".

It's one of my favourite CD's ever actually.

Yes. And the best-sounding Williams disc from the 70s.

I have a feeling that something akin to "Miracle of the Ark" ( I would use a picture, but my browser will not allow me to do that) will take place when we open this Box Set.... Oh, and Decca "Jaws" album is way better than the Joel McNeely rerecording.

I seriously doubt there will any extra music from KOTCS.

There is really nothing memorable left off and 77 mins of it is enough.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more! This is a score that's really grown on me with repeated listens. Memorable cues left off the album include the opening score cue, the warehouse chase, and the complete jungle chase.

I have a feeling that something akin to "Miracle of the Ark" ( I would use a picture, but my browser will not allow me to do that) will take place when we open this Box Set....

You mean we're all going to die?

I think we should merge this with the LHC thread now.

I seriously doubt there will any extra music from KOTCS.

There is really nothing memorable left off and 77 mins of it is enough.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more! This is a score that's really grown on me with repeated listens. Memorable cues left off the album include the opening score cue, the warehouse chase, and the complete jungle chase.

I agree. There is at least 10-15 minutes of really great stuff in there that could be included on this set.

But then, I guess, i'm probably one of the few people who really wants these here... :)

Karol

I don't want another note of KotCS, not if it means losing material from ToD or LC.

Well, I do, even if it's against ToD or LC.

I'm afraid you're in the minority.

Not blindly.

Morlock is that you?

There is nothing wrong with Jaws or ET, both are perfect listening experiences, only pinheaded morons need to have the music in film order.

Best case scenario: only 90% of the scores will fit onto the 5 discs. I hope the four primary discs are filled to capacity, chronologically arranged, will all important cues. Disc 5 should keep the interviews to a minimum (max. 10 min.) to leave more space for unreleased music. Bouzereau omitted cues from his E.T. release, yet didn't fill the disc to capacity. Hopefully he will not do the same here.

I would guess that most of the people who are were going to buy this product would have paid more for the complete scores. Clearly, they're leaving the door open for another Indy music release.

I pre-ordered this set and hope for the best...

Could be on the 5th disc. But all I really think that should be taking up space on that cd from KotCS is the rest of "Jungle Chase". Of course, I only saw the movie once. There might be more that I didn't notice.

There's good stuff:

Opening

Warehouse Escape

Vanishing Stairs

Jungle Chase Pt. 1

Henry's Theme and all its variations

I think that if the choices are selected carefully, I would be willing to give up some ToD and LC music for some KotCS music. But I doubt they'll do that, as they would've advertised expanded KotCS if that were going to happen.

The rest of the music from KotCS CD should be on Disc 4, omitting tracks from the KotCS soundtrack. We don't need the same music again. We just bought it a few months ago.

But I doubt they'll do that, as they would've advertised expanded KotCS if that were going to happen.

The expanded disks refer to disk 1 to 3 . Disk 4 is KotCS not expanded. Who knows what's on disk 5

this thread is like a roller coaster . We've been on top of a hill since that new press release ,now we need new info to dash our hopes of a decent release. Neil,any theories as how they might still screw this up ?