Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I snagged the Omen Collection off Amazon for $26, which didn't sound too bad until the discs arrived in perhaps the cheapest, crappiest digipak ever. It's the movies that count, but a box set ought to feel more substantial, I should think.

Also picked up Drag Me to Hell, probably my favorite horror movie of the past 10 years.

I love DMTH. The only thing that could have made it better would have been practical effects instead of CGI. Very minor complaint, however.

I have Pixar's Up, The Dark Night and I just got today Blade Runner 5 disc collecto'r sedition, and Criterion's Thin Red line.

there is a very interesting 16 minute interview there with Hans Zimmer about the music !

Is that the most of the alternate universe BTTF that will be featured? I'll be disappointed if so.

Agreed. Let's hear some dialogue from Stoltz, please. 5 weeks of shooting has got to be quite a bit of footage. It's kind of like when Universal released the Spanish version of the 1931 Dracula. Same sets, same year, different actors. I want to see it all.

Criterion's Thin Red line.

there is a very interesting 16 minute interview there with Hans Zimmer about the music !

Probably the year's best release. Criterion really hit the ball out of the park with the extras. All new interviews and commentaries *slobber*

No you're not. There is not a single Blu-Ray disc in my house. My laptop used to contain a Blu-Ray burner, but I was able to disable it by removing the drive and cutting a trace.

• 3 weeks later...

That's about how many titles I have, yet I have none of those pictured. Collections are fun when they're in their infancy and just beginning to grow.

I think I have around 25. A nice humble collection. These days I implement heavy quality control for the movies I buy.

For those interested, WB upgraded their DVD2Blu program to include any DVDs and not just those released by WB. I'm about to dump a lot of my crappy DVDs.

7 Blu-rays for $40. Fuck yeah!

I will be disposing of...

Children Of Men

A Clockwork Orange

The Darjeeling Limited

Hollow Man

Minority Report

Road To Perdition

The Shining

... and will be getting...

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

The Departed

Eyes Wide Shut: Special Edition

The Fountain

Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition

Pan's Labyrinth

The Shining

For those interested, WB upgraded their DVD2Blu program to include any DVDs and not just those released by WB. I'm about to dump a lot of my crappy DVDs.

Well that was WAY to good of a deal for me to pass up, even with limited funds. I'm getting 4 for about $26, thats after shipping and tax was figured in. Pretty awesome! I even checked Amazon marketplace to see if they could be bought about 5 bucks a piece, and nope!

I'm getting:

The Shining

Eyes Wide Shut

2001: A Space Odyssey

Beetlejuice

Woo hoo! 3 were straight DVD exchanges of the same title, and one was just some random DVD I had that I know I'll never watch.

I wanted to do Pan's Labyrinth as well, but it was a couple dollars more for that one, and I did see some used copies of that one for about the same price. Also, I heard there is a Steelbook edition of that one coming out next month? That'd be cool to have.

Collections are fun when they're in their infancy and just beginning to grow.

True! :) It's probably kinda like with kids - it's fun and satisfactory watching them grow. :(

Collection now up to 375!!

375 Blu-rays?! WOW! :o:lol:

When my brother's collection and mine were still one, we had around 200 Blus I think. He has your sickness lol.

They're too expensive for my cheapness. Days Of Heaven is fucking $36. Moon is still $20. The American, which is coming out soon, is $28! I remember back before a lot of people converted, new releases were $18-$20. Now they're never below $23.

$15 and less is my ideal range.

I got the BTTF trilogy boxset for $46.99, which isn't bad for three movies. I also like how it thanks you for buying it, rather than that obnoxious "You wouldn't steal a car... You wouldn't rob a bank... then why would you steal a movie?" crap.

I kind of refuse to buy BTTF for now. I'll get it when it's cheaper.

I wish Americans would stop saying "kind of". How can one "kind of" refuse? Refusal is absolute!

(No offense ET... <_<)

I just bought a second-hand copy of the original Wicker Man on DVD. I watched it last night with some chums and was devestated that it omitted the beautiful song "Gently Johnny", and several other scenes near the beginning. Every time this movie is shown on TV in England it has all those scenes. Does anyone know why they were removed from the DVD version? Here's hoping that when this film finally appears on Blu Ray "Gently Johnny" is reinstated. It's my favourite song from the soundtrack. I've never even heard of a version of this film without that song! Bloody DVD!

Also, it's partly because of the price and partly because the packaging is apparently horrendous and breaks. Also, re-thinking whether I really need parts II and III, as well as the extras. I might wait until they release them separately and only get the first one.

Part 1 is perfect, I grant you. But parts 2 and 3 are a lot of fun. The enchantment under the sea scenes at the end of part 2 are so well done that you really believe they are happening at the same time as the scenes from the original film.

Got the Back to the Future set, the Alien set, and The Girl who Played With Fire. Collection now up to 375!!

Demondm810 at what point does collecting becomes hoarding.

Joe, with way too many dvd's but afraid of becoming next weeks episode of Intervention, Hoarders.

Part 1 is perfect, I grant you. But parts 2 and 3 are a lot of fun. The enchantment under the sea scenes at the end of part 2 are so well done that you really believe they are happening at the same time as the scenes from the original film.

They aren't as much a priority to replace on BD.

I love the movies, especially the original. Honestly, I only need that one. I've seen enough extra features on the movies. The DVD set was more than enough for me. I even got the 2-disc version with the ride footage. The added interviews I found a bit dull. Eric Stoltz clips were released to the internet and that's likely all we'll ever see. All I desire is the original movie. I'm really curious to see and hear it on Blu.

Same with Alien, the Star Wars trilogy, Batmans 1-3 (nearly passed on Forever), Godfathers I and II, etc. I don't want bulky box sets with all this superfluous junk. Alien and the first Ninja Turtles movie are currently held hostage in box sets and I believe the old Star Wars movies will be packed with the prequels. *sigh*

Got the Back to the Future set, the Alien set, and The Girl who Played With Fire. Collection now up to 375!!

Joe, with way too many dvd's but afraid of becoming next weeks episode of Intervention, Hoarders.

Haha. Good point. But I watch a ton of movies quite frequently. Go to the theatre every weekend as well. Completely in love with film.

I'm still getting some DVD's on occasion, but it'll probably die down soon. I don't have a Blu-Ray player or an HDTV of my own yet, so that's kind of holding me back. With new movies coming out, I do look for the BD/DVD combo packs. They're a good deal and will help prepare for the eventual switch.

Funny story: I picked up Iron Man 2's BD + DVD combo the other week for 12 Euros. That's a 2-disc BD plus a 1-disc DVD set in one package. They also had the single-disc DVD set as a seperate product. Price: 14 Euros. What the hell?

Haha. Good point. But I watch a ton of movies quite frequently. Go to the theatre every weekend as well. Completely in love with film.

me too but then I started looking at my blu ray and dvd collection, and I have things I'll never watched again. I've got two copies of the incredibles, and I've never even seen the movie. I've got two copies of Spiderman 2 and I will never watch that movie again. Course I didn't buy those as they were gifts but man do I need to do some culling.

BTW Beauty and the Beast is now the most beautiful film I own on blu, wow what a stunning picture.

I love the movies, especially the original. Honestly, I only need that one. I've seen enough extra features on the movies. The DVD set was more than enough for me. I even got the 2-disc version with the ride footage. The added interviews I found a bit dull. Eric Stoltz clips were released to the internet and that's likely all we'll ever see. All I desire is the original movie. I'm really curious to see and hear it on Blu.

Same with Alien, the Star Wars trilogy, Batmans 1-3 (nearly passed on Forever), Godfathers I and II, etc. I don't want bulky box sets with all this superfluous junk. Alien and the first Ninja Turtles movie are currently held hostage in box sets and I believe the old Star Wars movies will be packed with the prequels. *sigh*

The Ninja Turtles movie?!?

The TMNT set is apparently at BJ's wholesale for $24. I might stop some time this week. The packaging is slightly horrendous. Notice the cover refers to it as collecting the original 4 movies. But TMNT came out, what, 10-15 years later with a new cast and in a completely different format? 1-3 were the original. 3 sucks, TMNT was kind of lame. I only like the first two, but for $24, you can't really go wrong.

Actually I thought Ninja Turtles 3 was the worst of them. TMNT is better than 3 in my opinion and I was a bit more impressed with it than I initially was going to expect. Ninja Turtles 2 was pretty good as well but Ninja Turtles (the first one) will always be my favorite of the bunch. I still remember my brother David, one of his friends and I going seeing it in theaters.

It's still a very good movie. I mean, it ain't Shakespeare. It's a comic book movie about 6 foot talking turtles who practice martial arts and eat pizza. But it's a lot of fun and it takes the material seriously, while also having fun with it. It's like Superman: The Movie or the Tim Burton Batmans (all the best comic book movies). There's also a gritty reality to the first movie that is really unique. It's very believable.

The TMNT box set is awful looking. I very much want the first 2 films. Pure nostalgia. I can't not love them. The pizza box packaging is the sole reason I haven't picked them up.

I hope with the Blu-Ray version of Turtles 2 they fixed the audio issue from the DVD. For example after Don crashes through the roof of that one building that TGRI professor is in you can hear the director saying the call for roll film. Also during the final confrontation with Toka and Razar, Mike is being spun around by Toka on the VHS version you hear him yell, "Hey Leo!" then it cuts to Leo replying. On the DVD version his line drops out for some reason.

Edit: Also for anyone who has Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer on Blu-Ray did they fix the audio issues from the DVD for that?

Barnes & Noble is having a Criterion Blu sale. Most titles are are normal prices now. I ordered Bottle Rocket and Days Of Heaven for $20 a piece. Saving $30 right there!

Also received The Nightmare Before Christmas today. The price dropped to $26 on Amazon. Still high, but better than the $30 it was before.

This seemed relevant:

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=BLURAY750&promo=fluid599

Mad cheap Blu-rays. All the old Batmans, Superman: The Movie, Twister and Clash of the Titans. Nice deals.

I have a small collection of Blus, most of them DVD combo packs (Earth, Ponyo, Toy Story). I don't have a burning urge to replace all my DVDs with Blu-rays, just ones I want to see in 1080p. I have the regular Blus of Batman Begins and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Wow, totally missed the Goonies came out on blu today... totally want that. I just love blu rays: I have quite a bunch already, and I keep upgrading most of the movies I liked on DVD... Will get my Alien set tomorrow :mellow:

Have I mentioned yet how much I hate the packaging for the BTTF Blu-Ray's? Who ever in the hell designed it should be fired. The plastic pieces that hold the disc in place for Part 3 broke on the right side. Now it won't stay in place. You would have thought they would have made it better than it is.