Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raiders-of-the-Los...0187&sr=1-1

The single releases are on their way...

And the Japanese Import has clearly been pushed down in value just a little :)

i bought the box set for 7 pounds more than the raiders CD alone...

Ah, gotcha. I don't even remember that, to be honest. But there was so much insanity leading up to the release that's not surprising.

There was indeed.

Good times...

I prefer the DCC cover. I think they should've all been in the same style as the DCC (i.e poster art etc) because Concord have just used the original covers, when in fact the CDs are not just straight re-issues of the originals.

But they're not connected with the DCC either. I think the cover's fine (and the poster with the moody painting of Jones is my favourite). They all are poster art, btw.

I agree with Stefan on the SEs. The 2004 editions have the same horrific photo-collage art the DVDs had. At least the SEs had a little class.

Also would have liked packaging more like The Lost World with pop-up stuff.

That's a joke, right...? :P

Just trying to keep things in perspective. People are complaining about the cover art or debating which is better but it's not a big deal. They're all okay and we could have ended up with a purple Mola Ram or something as opposed to the classic artwork of Indy with the machete and whip in the temple. On the "new" Raiders cover, Indy looks a bit too Burt Reynolds but it's still cool. I prefer the 1995 CD art but I use both on the computer anyway, so I don't have to choose. The CDs themselves are just going to sit on a shelf.

Okay, I've just about finished pitch-correcting Raiders. Its definitely easier using the DCC as reference. The only tracks I haven't touched yet are the new ones: Washington Men/Indy's Home, Bad Dates, and Indy Rides the Statue.

Since I have nothing but the movie to compare it to (I don't have the leaked Raiders) it might take a little longer to get them right, so give me a few days for the last 3 cues.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

1. Main Title: South America, 1936 --- - 8.7 cents

2. The Idol Temple --- - 8.1 cents

3. Escape From The Temple --- - 4.1 cents

4. Flight From Peru --- - 6.2 cents

5. Washington Men / Indy's Home ---

6. Journey To Nepal --- - 10.9 cents

7. The Medallion --- - 3.7 cents

8. Flight To Cairo --- - 2.1

9. The Basket Game --- - 5 cents

10. Bad Dates ---

11. The Map Room: Dawn --- - 27 cents

12. Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well --- - 2.2

13. The Well Of The Souls --- - 12.7 cents (actually closer to 12.74, but impossible to acheive)

14. Indy Rides The Statue ---

15. The Flying Wing --- - 7.4

16. Desert Chase --- 0:00 - 2:08 --- - 1.8 cents

16. Desert Chase --- 2:08 - 5:33 --- - 4.9 cents

16. Desert Chase --- 5:33 - end --- - 14 cents

17. Marion's Theme --- - 8.1

18. The German Sub --- + 2.9 Cents (Yeah, its true.)

19. Ride To The Nazi Hideout --- - 4.5 Cents

20. Ark Trek --- - 2.2 Cents

21. The Miracle Of The Ark --- 0:00 - 1:20 --- - 8 cents (still in flux)

21. The Miracle Of The Ark --- 1:20 - end --- - 1.5 cents

22. Washington Ending/Raiders March --- - 4.5

Temple of Doom needs pitch-correcting much more than Raiders...

I know it has problems, but I haven't had much time to get to it. I had actually started with ToD on Return to the Village/Raiders March, and then I decided to go back and start with Raiders and finish that first. ToD will be tougher because of all of the unreleased cues. I'll have to compare between film/dvd rip, and bootlegs (eek) to make sure I'm getting it right, so it'll be a little tough, but my ears are pretty good, so hopefully I can zip through at a decent speed.

I honestly can't believe that ToD is as bad as Raiders. I've not noticed too many glaring pitch problems. Most will probably not be too bad. If anyone has an idea of which tracks need help, let me know.

I also want to clarify something. I'm not doing this to stick it to Concord, or to join in the bashing and criticism. On the contrary, I'm over the Moon with this set. I am happy that Concord went to the trouble to give us these wonderful scores in amazing clarity and with full, well-balanced mixes. I am only doing this because my own ears are constantly aware of the pitch problems, and it gets difficult to listen and enjoy the music when that is in the back of my mind. (One of the risks of being a musician and instructor, it can be difficult to turn off your criticism). I enjoy the properly adjusted cues. The only reason I have posted this stuff is because I've been reading the board for a while, and I wanted to contribute for those with sensitive ears like me.

The 2004 releases could have just used some previously available and superior artwork for their covers, but for whatever reason, they went for the over-stylized photoshopped ones - on ROTJ, Luke looks like he's been decapitated, with his head re-attached to a little boy's scrawny body (did they have to go to all that trouble??).

I checked it.

The high sinetone in "The Scroll/To Pankot Palace starts at aprox. 10100Hz. Which should be hearable by most of the older folks arround here.

Well I just cut of the frequency above 10100 - so now that annoying tone is gone.. thank god!!

Unfortunatly some of the clarity of the rec too :P

Just listening now, it's pretty noticeable when it begins, but after a few seconds it just fades into the cue for me.

Agghhh, now the music quietens at about 2:15 and it's really noticeable again!. It's a bit hard to describe, but it's a little like the artifacts I sometimes get when I use a Winamp plugin to speed up a piece of music. Around 3 mins it's actually getting annoying.

What idiot recorded this piece? :P

On a separate note, does anyone else find 2:06 in Return to the Village a little...jarring, because they expect Marian's theme to appear instead?

Once again, a spectral view of The Scroll/To Pankot Palace. This time, in lossless.

Oh, am I allowed to say that The Map Room: Dawn is boss? I know it has been available since 1981, but it still knocks me off every time I listen!

Oh, it's certainly there. Not really sure why not everyone can hear it, because it isn't really that high a tone, either.

Indeed. It doesn't bother me, not as much as the pitch problems... :blink:

Since this set was my introduction to this music, the pitch problems don't bother me, because, to my ears, it all sounds very musical and I haven't noticed anything. Though if I were used to the music already, it might be different...

You don't realize how lucky you are. You get to actually enjoy the music.

The Map Room: Dawn has always been an outstanding cue and I like the original cover art Concord used for all the discs

I still can't notice anything

Maybe if I was a professional musician in an orchestra who has to "tune" his instrument before every performance, maybe I would notice

Once again, a spectral view of The Scroll/To Pankot Palace. This time, in lossless.

Oh, am I allowed to say that The Map Room: Dawn is boss? I know it has been available since 1981, but it still knocks me off every time I listen!

Aghh great I haven't thought of that Adobe Audition function!

with that you can simply select the line and cut it out! :lol:

Wow. I can not believe there are people out there that bothered by something that is barely perceivable.

Cry more.

Yes. Yes it was.

Neil

But it was funny.

I listened to ToD last night and I didn't notice a thing during The Scroll/To Pankot Palace either.

But, this is strange...this time next thing I knew I was floating in a small dinghy outside Cuba in a black diving skinsuit that was a bit..charred. And night vision goggles. I don't own night vision goggles. Hell, I don't have a dinghy or anything resembling a skinsuit. I think I should start getting worried.

Wow. I can not believe there are people out there that bothered by something that is barely perceivable.

Cry more.

Barely perceptible to you, glaringly obvious to some.

I still can't notice anything

Maybe if I was a professional musician in an orchestra who has to "tune" his instrument before every performance, maybe I would notice

Noise and "out of tune" instruments are two very distinct things. Yes, you need well trained ears to tune an instrument, but not to detect 13kHz noise. It's clearly there, both audibly and visually.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me at all... I mean, it's not even the film version...

In the CD version, you can see (and hear) that it's an anomaly with the source material they used.

The film version also has a high pitched tone (when the villager is desperately pointing at the statue, right before the choral begins), but it's part of the music, maybe some indian instrument... anyway, it sounds just as strange as the CD version...

Meanwhile, I've compared the original bootleg tracks of Last Crusade to a DVD-rip by aligning each other, and the following are the approximate pitch corrections that I've noted down:

- Packet from Dad: -1,876

- Inscription on the Rock: -1,415

- Into the Catacombs: -1,143

- The Two Joneses: -1,829

- The Two Joneses Indy Fanfare: -1,960

- Elsa’s Betrayal: -1,663

- Iskenderun: -0,908

(by the way, there's a very small pop at 1.41)

- Koniggratzer: -1,664

- Keeping up with the Joneses Film Version: -1,317

- Papa Jones Shot: -2,406

- Death of Kazim Indy Fanfare (2): -0,825

(Obviously, I can't compare Death of Kazim Indy Fanfare 1 to the film since it's not in it.)

The following tracks are not from the original boot but from the inferior, pressed Volume 2 bootleg which had the hiss removed. Watch out: the left and right channels of these two tracks should be reversed.

Escape in the Truck: -1,761

Blasphemy/Berlin: -1,499

I plan on checking into the editing rehabilitation clinic soon.

The bootlegs I've heard recently seem to all be sharp/fast. I assume they are sourced from PAL-format dvd's. I haven't noticed any pitch problems in Last Crusade. I'm pretty sure no one has.