Variety reports Spielberg's next film after Tintin will be........

Ollie

Well this is kind of anti-climatic. It isn't a remake, of course, as it's based on the source material, but I can think of a thousand other things that Spielberg can be doing with his time.

Tim, who is not familiar with the play, but has seen the Stewart version and is not sure what approach Spielberg can take that wasn't accomplished the first time around.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, who is not familiar with the play, but has seen the Stewart version and is not sure what approach Spielberg can take that wasn't accomplished the first time around.

Two words: Janusz Kaminski.

I just remembered, this is the movie/story that inspired Crichton's nickname "Harvey" for the Scorpius neural clone in Farscape.

...I'm the only one who'll understand that, but oh well.

Yes! At this point I'm just glad that Spielberg is (probably) committed to something. Over the course of the last 4 years he has made...1 film.

Considering your screenname, this was my favorite part of your post.

this movie could be my life.

I feed them , i give them water, but the frigging beast are always inside their mounds so i cant see them :angry:

Your tax dollars at work.

what did i say? i dont get what you meant... XD

Sorry, I forgot you're European. ;)

Im still clueless... i just mean that i am breeding (well, NOT me, they do it) wild rabbits, and since they have natural mounds and cublicles they spent the whole day below earth so they are 'invisible' for me. :P

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/08/no-harvey-for-hanks.html

Insiders on the Fox-DreamWorks project said that despite press coverage that has fixated on why Spielberg would remake a film classic, the truth is, the Jonathan Tropper-scripted film that was developed by Fox 2000 is a contemporary story that is much closer in tone to the play than it is to that film.

A Fox spokesman said, `Tom Hanks has not read the script and speculation about him and this project has been inaccurate.'

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/08/no-harvey-for-hanks.html

Insiders on the Fox-DreamWorks project said that despite press coverage that has fixated on why Spielberg would remake a film classic, the truth is, the Jonathan Tropper-scripted film that was developed by Fox 2000 is a contemporary story that is much closer in tone to the play than it is to that film.

A Fox spokesman said, `Tom Hanks has not read the script and speculation about him and this project has been inaccurate.'

Doesn't the film basically mirror the play's outline?

Elwood has a invisible friend that takes the form of a 6 ft Rabbit, it creates a problem on his family. Elwood's sister tries to have him committed and ends up being comitted herself. Elwood finally convinces the doctor Harvey exists. But one doctor wants to give help Elwood by giving him an injection (medicine) that will allow him to never see Harvey but then his sister decides against it.

Damn! I was really hoping for another Spielberg-Hanks collaboration, and this seemed perfect.

Another of the options according to some newspapers was Will Smith. Personally, I think he could do a fine job, but I would prefer another person to the main role, like Richard Dreyfuss or someone else...

It just came to my mind, that Williams will have another Academy Award Nomination in 2011! wehee

For Deathly Hallows Part I, hopefully. He'll be 3/3.

I wonder what film will be the one that pushes Williams over the top in Oscar nominations in terms of his current stalemate with Alfred Newman---Harvey, Tintin, or Deathly Hallows?

I wonder what film will be the one that pushes Williams over the top in Oscar nominations in terms of his current stalemate with Alfred Newman---Harvey, Tintin, or Deathly Hallows?

What happens if he's nominated for both Deathly Hallows I and Harvey?

Or nominated for both Tintin and Deathly Hallows II?

What happens if he's nominated for both Deathly Hallows I and Harvey?

Or nominated for both Tintin and Deathly Hallows II?

that regardless of the ultimate masterpiece any could be, we wont win that year due to split voting. Again.

• 3 months later...

No more Harvey for Steven Spielberg:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118012212.html?categoryId=13&cs=1&ref=ssp

I must say I'm relieved he abandoned the project, even though the subject matter was kind of ideal for him.

However, now John Williams' schedule is even more open to make him available for Deathly Hallows Part I & II.

Maurizio - I share your feelings about this....when it was announced, I kinda said "Oh.....really?" to myself....ideal project for him, but maybe not for his audience...or the public in general....roll on Indy V!!! laugh.gif

Spielberg has already several potential projects in the pipeline (the long-delayed Lincoln biopic, Interstellar, The 39 Clues, Pirate Latitudes), I just hope he'll commit to something interesting and up to his talent (no Indy V, please).

I'd love to see him tackling a big David Lean-like epic movie along the lines of Lawrence of Arabia or The Bridge on River Kwai. It's something he still hasn't approached (Empire of the Sun is probably the most alike) and I'm sure he would deliver the goods. For example, I'd love to see a film like Moby Dick directed by Spielberg. Think about Jaws, but on a huge and epic scale.

Lucas financed the prequels himself didn't he. Just paid Fox to distribute them for him I believe.

Fox paid Lucasfilm for the distribution rights, but yes he did pay for the films out of his own pocket.

Well whatever, my point is Indy 5 is not green-lit.

No, it has not been greenlight by Paramount or Lucasfilm. All that we know is that Lucas/Spileber may have an idea. But no script or outline has been written.

Can we agree that it's been yellow-lit, with a possibility for promotion to green in the future?

Ehh no big loss.

Indeed. And once again, never believe a Spielberg film is certain until he's actually behind a camera.

Just make a damn movie, Spielberg.

Indeed.

The problem is once he does make one he'll amuse himself so much with how quickly he can do it he'll forget that it needs to be, you know...good.

Indeed.

The problem is once he does make one he'll amuse himself so much with how quickly he can do it he'll forget that it needs to be, you know...good.

When has that happened?

Indeed.

When has that happened?

The movie I have down on my calendar is Indy 4. Sorry, Indy 4 - I'm sure if I thought about it long and hard enough I'd remember an earlier instance where Spiels seemingly lost the plot.

Edit: Marc beat me to it.

If KOTCS is any indication, yes it's too old.

Yeah but KOTCS was ghost written by Conrad Pope :) Williams hadn't the strength to lift his pencil. He probably sucked all the lead out of it.

Maybe the inofficial reason for Spielberg to abandon this project was Williams saying:"Sorry Steven, no - not this time! I will write Harry Potter!"

And for a tenth of his usual salary without doubt, to make the transition from Hooper as seamless as possible.

Hmm, this is sad news. I thought Harvey could've been very good material for Williams to compose a beautiful, melodic and whimsical score, sorta like an E.T. of the 2000s. I hope he's not going to waste his or my time with another Potter or Indiana Jones.

Alex

Surely you jest?

This project looked terrible. Remember, Spielberg did not fare very well with that other remake of an old film, Always.

And the score was pretty boring too.

Not to mention this stuff about a giant rabbit just brings back bad memories:

232980-jar_jar_binks_large.jpeg

If KOTCS is any indication, yes it's too old.

Yeah but KOTCS was ghost written by Conrad Pope :P Williams hadn't the strength to lift his pencil. He probably sucked all the lead out of it.

At least he can still write NEW music unlike some younger composer...

;)

Surely you jest?

This project looked terrible. Remember, Spielberg did not fare very well with that other remake of an old film, Always.

And the score was pretty boring too.

Not to mention this stuff about a giant rabbit just brings back bad memories:

232980-jar_jar_binks_large.jpeg

Why would the film and score resemble Always? Because it's a remake? :huh:

I think Always was still better than Indy IV, Munich and War of the Worlds. Combined. Boy did those suck. Spielberg needs to prove he can still make a great film. I don't think he can.

I always thought MUNICH was rather underrated. Still, it's been a while since AI. I think he's still got a couple of great films in him, I think he just has to have some patience with himself and quit attaching himself to everything under the sun. I do think there's some issues with expectation regarding his films, which I suppose is fair as per the career he's had, and is the same with other directors. But I still think WOTW and Indy IV, massive issues as they do have, aren't really any lower quality than what Hollywood throws at us every summer, one or two exceptions excluded. It's just that his movies used to be the exception to the rule, instead of being part of it, which still makes me want to root for him every time a new film comes out. It doesn't help that there seems to be a current trend where a lot of pedestrian Hollywood movies are immediately held up as modern classics because they're not absolute shit.