Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (ELFMAN)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II (ZIMMER) (YES, I KNOW)

Mission 2 is a really fun score, despite what others say. And while there's some Zimmerisms taken to the headache inducing-extreme, a lot of it is brand new territory for Hans.

By Request is the CD that really got me into JW's music. It is fantastic!

I don't listen to most of it, I've never been particularly fond of its versions of much-recorded pieces like the Star Wars cues, or their sound characteristics, for that matter. It's still an essential album for the Liberty Fanfare (love that middle section) and the gorgeous Cowboys Suite.

By Request is the CD that really got me into JW's music. It is fantastic!

I don't listen to most of it, I've never been particularly fond of its versions of much-recorded pieces like the Star Wars cues, or their sound characteristics, for that matter. It's still an essential album for the Liberty Fanfare (love that middle section) and the gorgeous Cowboys Suite.

I will admit, upon receiving the soundtracks for most of the music I don't listen as much to By Request, although that's probably more due to my desires to hear the entire scores at once than a preference of recording. However the two tracks you mentioned are essentials, and it also has my favorite recording of "The Mission."

I for one love the Boston Symphony Hall acoustics on the By Request album. E.g. Theme from Superman (although a bit different version than the normal) sounds fantastic and has a sense of space and scope.

By Request is one of the finest "greatest hits" albums of John Williams' career (albeit up to 1987) that you will find, and is a worthy addition to anyone's collection.

After all, if you went to a concert, you would almost certainly hear those types of arrangements instead of JW conducting an entire score.

I for one love the Boston Symphony Hall acoustics on the By Request album. E.g. Theme from Superman (although a bit different version than the normal) sounds fantastic and has a sense of space and scope.

I love the sound of the hall on Williams Sony recording. But most tracks on By Request sound, acoustically, rather flat to me.

I love the sound of the hall on Williams Sony recording. But most tracks on By Request sound, acoustically, rather flat to me.

But that's solely due to the no bass/all highs mastering of mid-80's CD's. Those high-pitched cymbal crashes on the BY REQUEST cd can destroy your eardrums.

Yes. For the record, the Murphy-recorded Skywalker Symphony Star Wars album is also low on bass, and for a long time I thought it sounded bad, but on a decent system, it actually has quite a range. But the By Request stuff mostly seems to lack punch not just because of low bass, but a generally muddy, non-transparent 80s DDD sound.

Just placed the following from MovieMusic:

Krull -- 2-CD remastered edition (Horner, LLL)

Man to Man (Doyle, MSM)

Tribute Film Classics Highlights (TFC)

From iTunes, I just purchased:

Horn Concerto - John Williams

Lincolnshire Posy - Percy Aldrige Grainger

"Isn't She Lovey" - Jamie Davis

"Something" - Jamie Davis

"Nature Boy" - Jamie Davis

"Groove Merchant" - Mel Lewis Orchestra

The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms - Michael Kamen

Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

Back to Gaya - Michael Kamen (and friends)

Planet of the Apes - Danny Elfman (LLL's edition)

Karol

FINALLY RECEIVED! :D

friday13.jpg

Haven't had the time to listen to everything yet but parts I and VI (in which I was most interested and listened to the most so far) sound fantastic! Real happy to have another treasure in my collection. :joy: Ki-Ki-Ki Ma-Ma-Ma! :D

Also received:

- John Barry - King Kong

- Craig Armstrong - World Trade Center

• 2 weeks later...

Tadlow release of Franz Waxman's Taras Bulba. Heard large chunks of this score and it sounds like a powerhouse work (and recording/performance as well).

Karol - seriously thinking of adding two Conans as well.

I'm listening to that one now. It's fantastic.

I was familar with The Ride to Dubno, of course, but there's a lot more to like about this score. The Love theme, in particular, is stuck in my head.

Out of the Tadlow recordings I've only got this and El Cid, but they're all on my to-get list.

• 2 weeks later...

I used some extra Amazon gift cards to get the following:

Liszt: Piano Concertos 1-2, Totentanz - Seiji Ozawa with the Boston Symphony Orchestra

On the Town (Original Cast Recording) - Leonard Bernstein

Sleepers - John Williams

I also purchased MP3's of the following:

"I've Got the World on a String" - Jamie Davis

"Perthshire Majesty" - Columbus State University Wind Ensemble

Sleepers is one of four easily accessible Williams OSTs that I haven't yet had an opportunity to purchase (the others are Rosewood, Presumed Innocent, and Stanely and Iris). I'm especially excited for this one because it's also the only officially released Williams score that I have never heard in any form before - no re-recordings, no samples, and I've never seen the film (I purposely skipped over the Sleepers tracks on Erik Wood's tribute for this reason). I'm not sure if this has ever happened before for me for a JW release, usually I've had some sort of taste-test, even if I've been willing to buy completely blind. I'm curious to see if it'll affect my impressions of the score.

I already am :) I bought it after years of heartfelt reccomendation by Peio and it is a stunning and unique piece of work. Gorgeous love theme as well

had to replace my copy of Carrie by Pino Dinaggio, I know it has to be in the house somewhere but I can't find it anywhere. And for me it's an essential.

- John Barry - King Kong

Want to order it for 5 bucks. Where can you go wrong? However, I feel like it's going to get a complete score release.

Lukas Kendall's recent blog post practically confirms so

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20907

It's a fact of life that when you have multiple overlapping CD orders, they'll arrive all at the same time.

Maybe for overseas orders. I ordered Predator and Speed from Intrada before JC from Amazon, and JC showed up first. I don't know if Predator has arrived at my house yet.