Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I ordered Daugherty's The Metropolis Symphony. From the samples I've heard, it's a really neat work. Also got Charles Mingus' "Ecclusiastics" on Amazon MP3's.

My Intrada order just shipped :)

Galaxy Quest, plus I gave in and ordered Star Trek: First Contact. The extra music is damn good.

Also just made the classic error: listened to the clips for LLL's other release, Broke Sky. Damn, I rather like this...

I'm going to sell this set on Ebay for 30000 dollars!

Karol

:lol: At least you saw the bright side in this

Well I would too. If there is nothing wrong with the set then such a small mistake which makes the set unique is not a bother.

No Hook in the mail today...

But... Star Trek: First Contact (Goldsmith/Goldsmith/Morley) arrived instead! Listening to it right now. It's actually quite good and sounds great.

Karol

Been really enjoying First Contact myself since it arrived. PLENTY of playtime for that one. :)

Waiting on: Rambo III (to complete my trilogy), Back to the Future III (Because I need an old-school Silvestri fix)

My SAE order arrived, customs free, uncracked and all:

Broughton: The Rescuers Down Under

Eidelman: Star Trek VI

Glass: Koyaanisqatsi (OST)

Holdridge: One Against the Wind

Newman: The Robe

Poledouris/Zimmer: White Fang

Shearmur: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Silvestri: Forrest Gump

Tiomkin: The Fall of the Roman Empire

Toto: Dune

Williams: Hook

JNH: Atlantis, Water Horse, Space Jam

Williams: Hook, IJKCS

Thomas Newman: Whispers in the Dark, Little Women

Randy Newman: Monsters Inc.

Zimmer: Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons

Dallwitz/Glass: Truman Show

Portman: Cider House Rules

damn you, one-click-buy button!

Just raided the Amazon Marketplace and started filling out my JNH collection:

Restoration

Prince of Tides

Atlantis

Saint of Fort Washington

Waterhorse

Dinosaur

Treasure Planet

All for (including shipping) $41. Love it.

Hey you're right, there it is right in my Newbury Comics email. Wow, Our Lady Peace has a new album too!

Born on the Fourth of July - John Williams

The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone

:D

Got the following from Amazon:

Sound the Bells - John Williams and others

Silence! The Musical (Cast Recording) - Jon and Al Kaplan

Stravsinky: The Rite of Spring and the Firebird Suite - Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic

Wonderful Town - Leonard Bernstein

Poltergiest (OST) - Jerry Goldsmith

I was tempted to get the FSM version of Poltergeist, but as a casual Goldsmith fan I'm not sure the new music would be worth the extra $14.

It's more than enough, isn't?

I would think so.

The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold Volume 2: The Sea Hawk

095115143827_300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the following:

America, The Dream Goes On - John Williams and the Boston Pops

Dvorak: The New World Symphony - Paavo Jarvi and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

The first has a couple pieces I've been meaning to get--Hoe Down, Fanfare for the Common Man, and of course JW's America the Dream Goes On. The rest should be a fun and enjoyable listen.

indy4 - who didn't intend to purchase 2 America-related albums on Memorial Day

My latest SAE order was one of the fastest to arrive:

- Elmer Bernstein:To Kill a Mockingbird (RSNO recording)

- Carl Davis: Ben-Hur (re-release, replacing my old and damaged CDR copy)

- Lalo Schifrin: Film Scores Vol. 1 (1964-1968)

- Max Steiner: Adventures of Don Juan/Arsenic and Old Lace (Morgan/Stromberg)

- John Williams: Jane Eyre

And a new magnet. :) (Don Juan styled)

You got the Naxos version of Ben-Hur that was just released? I believe that one is expanded from the old Silva release, right? I may have to get a copy of this new one.

I think it's identical. They just split up some of the lengthier tracks. Total duration is the same I think, and it's the same recording as the previous release (which is different, and with a considerably larger orchestra, than the full score recording released on the DVD/Blu-ray I believe). Don't know if there's been any remastering.

It's also not on Naxos but on "Threefold Records", with a "Carl Davis Collection" icon on the top. I've also seen a Naxos credit for it somewhere (Amazon I think), but I assume it was just mislabelled. Or perhaps they're owned by Naxos or something. Price certainly was regular for a score release, i.e. higher than the standard Naxos price.

Prince of Egypt is great. If you can you should definitely get this CD: http://www.amazon.com/The-Prince-Egypt-Wynonna/dp/B0001FT52S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1338678163&sr=8-7

Most of it is throw-away pop music, but it contains some cues from the score that aren't available anywhere else. Of particular importance is "The Chariot Race," which is one of Hans Zimmer's greatest single cues. I would imagine that even those who dislike Zimmer's style would enjoy this one, it has many Golden Age influences (especially near the end).

Of particular importance is "The Chariot Race," which is one of Hans Zimmer's greatest single cues. I would imagine that even those who dislike Zimmer's style would enjoy this one, it has many Golden Age influences (especially near the end).

While I love Prince of Egypt and I think it's one of Zimmer's finest achievements, you have to give credit where it's due: The Chariot Race is a Harry Gregson-Williams' cue, using Zimmer's themes.

Oh okay. I don't take the time to figure out who wrote each Zimmer cue, but I will say that HGW just won a lot of points in my book (and Zimmer just lost a few).

Oh okay. I don't take the time to figure out who wrote each Zimmer cue, but I will say that HGW just won a lot of points in my book (and Zimmer just lost a few).

Isn't it nice when you can't never be entirely sure if a Zimmer score is truly a Zimmer score. You have to read the fine print to see who was responsible for what.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered Music from the Edge, which is in fact John Corigliano's rejected score from Martin Campbell's Edge of Darkness.

I'm really really curious what this score is like. From the few samples I heard it sounds very good indeed. Can't wait!

Karol

Ordered the following:

Treesong - John Williams

Rosewood - John Williams

Presumed Innocent - John Williams

The King and I (1977 Revival) - Rodgers and Hammerstein

Swingin' for the Fences - Gordin Goodwin's Big Phat Band

The top three are releases I've been meaning to get for a long time, especially Presumed Innocent. But I'd imagine they make for a pretty dense and possibly depressing listening experience, so I wanted to lightened it up with the last two releases. I don't know much about King and I - I've heard some songs but I've never seen any incarnation of the work - but I love Rodgers and Hammerstein (who doesn't) and I've been told this is one of their best. 1977 revival sounded the best from the Amazon reviews - I almost bought the film soundtrack, but a reviewer said it contains dialogue and SFX. My friend recently bought the last release, and it sounds awesome. Especially "Mueva los Huesos."

I placed an order for Richard Band's Dragonworld from Intrada last night (the samples were really good!). I thought about adding Supernova to the order, but I think it's going to linger around the specialty outlets for a couple of months after it goes OOP.