The "I like it, but why doesn't anybody else?" thread

Pieter Boelen

In my case, there's plenty of films, scores and composers I never see being discussed, but do very much like myself.

I'm sure many of you feel the same. So which ones are they and what is so good about them?

Here's a couple of examples of mine to get you started:

Movie: Starship Troopers

It is so over-the-top that it becomes completely hilarious. Of course the story is based on fasicism,

but it appears to me like it's actually told in a "look how wrong this is" kind of way.

Not to mention the movie looks great and has a wondefully appropriate and fun score by Basil Poledrouris.

What's not to like?

Composer: Christopher Gordon

This guy knows how to write proper orchestral music, yet nobody ever seems to hire him for any large scale films.

For the TV series of Moby Dick, he came up with a wonderfully nautical main theme as well as some brilliantly engaging action music.

"On the Beach" contains some beautiful themes, some doomed patriottic music, great development of themes and wonderful orchestration.

With apparently all the orchestrations being handled by the composer himself, which is exceptional in and of itself.

"Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"'s music isn't too impressive, but there is some cool parts and it works wonders in the film.

His most recent score for "Mao's Last Dancer" contains some wonderful music that sounds both appropriately Chinese, but also wonderfully engaging.

I wished someone would give this guy a big assignment so that he can become a more generally known composer.

Score: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

Cliff Eidelman is most well-known for his work on "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country",

but his score for "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery" is arguably the better one.

I haven't been able to appreciate much of Star Trek VI outside of the main theme, but the other score is a great listen all the way through,

being both religious-sounding, but with nautical adventure added in, as well as some good action music.

Movie: King Solomon's Mines

Yes, I DO like that one. It might constitute an Indiana Jones rip-off and might not be faithful to the original source material,

but it's friggin' hilarious in a parody kind of way. And Jerry Goldsmith's score has to be one of the most fun adventure scores he ever wrote.

The music doesn't take itself serious and, in fact, I believe the music doesn't take the film seriously either.

But listening to it always brings a smile to my face. It's hard to resist so much fun.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several people here who really like StarShip Troopers. To me it's a blast. It has amazing effects that have held up so well, and a quirky cast that managed to pull the whole thing off. Some people cannot see past what this film is not to see what it is.

James Horner's score to Cocoon.

One of his more original scores, minus the few minutes of "Genesis Countdown" from TWOK. Although given the similar feel of the scene, perhaps Horner did it intentionally.

Anyways, throw out the lousy song on the album, and you have one of Horner's more lovely, sad and tender scores. In fact there are times I can't even make it through the album, "Rose's Death" never fails to bring a tear to my eyes. First Tears" is another cue that moves me. And there are moments for those who love the "big" cues, "The Ascension" and "The Chase" fit the bill.

The film is very entertaining as well, although the disco scene is somewhat dated, and resulted in the song being included on the album as it was written for the film. A great cast, well directed by Ron Howard and even Steve Guttenberg does well.

I think Starship Troopers is kind of a victim of it's own central conceit. Personally, I love it. Sequels actually ain't all that bad, either....

Cocoon - underrated score for an overrated movie.

One name I mention now and again, to rapturous silence, is Lee Holdridge. Am I really the only person here who rates him?

Greg

Count me in as one who loves Starship Troopers, both film and score.

Lee Holdridge is underrated, I sadly admit that my collection of his works is lacking but I'm glad I grabbed Intrada's release of In Search Of Peace.

Really this is a guilty pleasure thread.

I love the movie The Sword and the Sorcerer, I think it is a better film than Conan the Barbarian (except the score) which came out around the same time.

- Always. It's a nice little romantic picture by Mr. Spielberg. I'm even moved at several points throughout.

- The portrayal of the officers in Titanic. I find many pseudo-Titanic-historians annihilate the movie and Cameron for this. Ismay (okay, technically not a Titanic officer) puts pressure on Smith to speed up the ship, the Captain gives in to pressure, ignores ice warnings and common sense, then becomes catatonic during the sinking, Lightoller loses his nerve and waves his gun at the passengers, Murdoch allegedly accepts a bribe before killing a passenger and then taking his own life. I found the drama with the officers compelling. We'll never know what really happened with everyone that night, but Cameron made it entertaining.

I can't remember if the orders to speed up where a true part of the Titanic's history and whether or not it was used in the films that preceeded Cameron's.

Although I did chuckle as it was also used in the Poseidon Adventure.

I love the score to Romero's Dawn of The Dead, preferring the synth in it to any Goldsmith ever used. Starship Troopers is indeed ace, especially the music, and I've always sang the praises of Horner's wonderful Cocoon score. I also like a lot of Jablonsky's score to The Island, in fact I quite enjoyed the movie as well.

Wendy Carlos' score to The Shining. Very atmospheric and chilling, especially the "howling" voices and sounds she incorperates into the music.

John Williams should have an honorable mention in this thread.

and why Luke? We all like JW here.

Mark wasn't Wendy Carlos a he when the film was scored?

I think Starship Troopers is kind of a victim of it's own central conceit. Personally, I love it. Sequels actually ain't all that bad, either....

Cocoon - underrated score for an overrated movie.

One name I mention now and again, to rapturous silence, is Lee Holdridge. Am I really the only person here who rates him?

Greg

You're not alone Greg, he's great and has composed many terrific scores which are sadly usually flops or low key projects. The Tuskegee Airmen, Mists of Avalon and In Search of Peace are my top 3!

A good sampler of his immense talents is probably the Charles Gerhardt / LSO compilation as i'm sure you'll agree.

Count me in as one who loves Starship Troopers, both film and score.

Lee Holdridge is underrated, I sadly admit that my collection of his works is lacking but I'm glad I grabbed Intrada's release of In Search Of Peace.

You should seek out that Gerhardt compilation Mark and yes that recent Intrada release was a wonderful companion to BTTF.

- Always. It's a nice little romantic picture by Mr. Spielberg. I'm even moved at several points throughout.

I agree, this movie always gets a bad rap, however I think it has many positives - no less the Mikael Soloman cinematography and the tree fire scenes. It's the comedy and romance elements that sometimes feels slightly awkward.

The movie that I would relate to this post is Far & Away, an old fashioned epic Hollywood romance at it's best and that Land Race scene (and music!) is just incredible! Tom & Nicole really were'nt that bad and the movie doesn't pretend to be something it's not IMO. I'm in the vast minority though!

The movie that I would relate to this post is Far & Away, an old fashioned epic Hollywood romance at it's best and that Land Race scene (and music!) is just incredible! Tom & Nicole really were'nt that bad and the movie doesn't pretend to be something it's not IMO. I'm in the vast minority though!
Seconded. I watched that movie quite recently it was pretty well put-together and entertaining.

Not abysmally bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I felt like neither director nor stars in that film had a clear idea of why they were making that film (which I find boring and bloated). Looks pretty at times, though, and has damn good music (if extremely surface-y).

I like Starship Troopers, though I think that it is overrated as a satiric masterpiece. Verhoven is too in love with the violence to fully satirize it.

I know that Koray agrees, but I seem to be the only one to whom The Brothers Bloom, both score and film, stuck out as being a really good outing this year. It's ending gets out of hand, but it's largely lovely.

I love the film El Dorado. I know a lot of people diss it as a Rio Bravo wannabe, but I think it's a fantastic laid back western, with Duke and Mitchum making a really nice pair. Great title song, too.

While I like the scores to The Poseidon Adventure and The Paper Chase, my favorite thing on that cd is the Conrack main titles. It never gets mentioned, but I absolutely love JW's Americana sound, and this is one of his best pieces in that vein. And on the other hand- I far prefer Michel LeGrand's Man who Loved Cat Dancing score to JW's. A bit meandering, certainly stranger, but far more unique and memorable.

And lastly (for now), one of my favorite romantic comedies ever is My Best Friends Wedding. It's funny, well acted, smartly written, and totally subverts the genre by making the protagonist the villain. And it STILL manages to have a totally happy ending that is not at all false-sounding. Terrific score by James Newton Howard, too.

I'm also a fan of Always and to a lesser degree Far & Away. And both movies have wonderful scores, IMHO. I'm usually not a fan of scores where a lot of it is light, sparse, slow "drama" underscore, but the scores in both those movies just absolutely work for me.

Always... love Richard Dreyfuss, sweet to see Audrey Hepburn, the cinematography as mentioned is gorgeous. The comedy and romance at times feels a bit "forced" but never insanely so, just a bit... "fakey" sometimes.

Far & Away... as mentioned, Tom & Nicole are actually pretty good in this. It feels like it should be one of those "just a bit too long" films, but it never feels like it drags or is too long for me. Also some very beautiful cinematography in this one as well. And always a hoot to see Chief O'Brien from Star Trek. :P

Put me in the pro Starship Troopers crowd as well, mostly for the tongue in cheek political satire. Though as Morlock correctly points out it does get drowned out a bit in the movie, there's still more than enough to enjoy. I still want to read the book, which from what I've heard is supposed to be a satirical masterpiece.

Would you like to know more?

I think most everyone here will safely agree about Starship Troopers. I too am in with you guys that agree with it. I love the film and score.

Though for Starship Troopers 2...tried watching it but had to turn it off because it was that bad. I didn't even bother with Starship Troopers 3.

I'm also a fan of Always and to a lesser degree Far & Away. And both movies have wonderful scores, IMHO. I'm usually not a fan of scores where a lot of it is light, sparse, slow "drama" underscore, but the scores in both those movies just absolutely work for me.

Always... love Richard Dreyfuss, sweet to see Audrey Hepburn, the cinematography as mentioned is gorgeous. The comedy and romance at times feels a bit "forced" but never insanely so, just a bit... "fakey" sometimes.

I think for the most part the humor in Always works. There's one part that has me in stitches, when John Goodman dances with Holly Hunter. Serious LOL.

I also agree on the cinematography. I get goosebumps when Dorinda takes the plane as Dreyfuss looks on (love the unreleased music when she takes off). Also love when the rookie revives the bus driver. "Hey! You made it!" Another moment is towards the end when she loses pressure and heads for the water. Mega goosebumps. It oozes with that classic Spielbergness that he hasn't even achieved with his last three pictures. JW's score is underrated.

Far and Away is alright.

I also like a lot of Jablonsky's score to The Island, in fact I quite enjoyed the movie as well.

Since it is a science-fiction movie that requires half a brain to understand it, it is an anachronism. However, it does have it's fervent fans - myself included. The score, whilst I'm not exactly a fan, is surprisingly appropriate.

A good sampler of his immense talents is probably the Charles Gerhardt / LSO compilation as i'm sure you'll agree.

No I won't - since I have never heard it but hear good things...can we consider a trade?

Though for Starship Troopers 2...tried watching it but had to turn it off because it was that bad. I didn't even bother with Starship Troopers 3.

Bother.....it's just as ridiculous but I find it more entertaining than the second....one of those films that Lovefilm.com was invented for.

Indiana Jones 4. But only because I don't take the film seriously and don't search for plot-holes or anything like that. I just sit back and relax. I remember when I first watched on the cinema I had that good old fashioned feeling I hadn't had with recent films.

Here come the rocks thrown at me...

(Ducks)

As far as I can tell, the French film composer Philippe Sarde is completely unknown by this forum. Pour Sacha is one of my all time favorites. And before you counter with ethnic stereotypes about how boring his funny name must make him, I'll say the soundtrack is quite accessible to Hollywood listeners. The opening track has a bit that recalls "Across the Stars." It's the ultimate pastoral soundtrack, even though the film takes place in war torn Israel. It just makes me think of vast forests, high mountains and humble living. Or some such.

As far as I can tell, the French film composer Philippe Sarde is completely unknown by this forum. Pour Sacha is one of my all time favorites. And before you counter with ethnic stereotypes about how boring his funny name must make him, I'll say the soundtrack is quite accessible to Hollywood listeners. The opening track has a bit that recalls "Across the Stars." It's the ultimate pastoral soundtrack, even though the film takes place in war torn Israel. It just makes me think of vast forests, high mountains and humble living. Or some such.

I'm a fan of his as well, from what little I've heard from him.

Mark Mancina's The Haunted Mansion. Embarrassing movie, but both it and its score have excellent material to draw on. I thought Mancina did a fantastic (if repetitive) job of integrating Buddy Baker's original "Grim Grinning Ghosts" theme from the Disneyland (and later Walt Disney World, etc.) attraction into his own thematic ideas, which aren't half bad themselves. Pity it never got an official score release.

Also, I agree about Indy 4. I was very much aware of its many faults as I watched it for the first time...yet I was grinning like a maniac the whole time. Perhaps that makes me a fanboy. If so, I can think of far worse fates.

I might be the only one who think Sleepers is probably the finest score of the 90's

It might be, it might not be. Personally speaking, a film that hinges on a false testimony from a priest, is morally dubious, at best. I do like the score very much, though. Does anyone know why the electronic drums were taken off of the football sequence for the film, but are on the c.d?

Is anyone fond of "The Hindenberg"? IMO, it is a nice, slow "Sunday afternoon" film, with a lovely David Shire score (very wise to remove the female voice, replacing it with solo trumpet), and some of the most perfect SFX I have ever seen. Because of this, I saw it twice at the cinema.

What does JWfan net think of "Magic"? Forget Lecter, this (along with Stevens the butler) is Tony Hopkins' finest performance. A cracking study in disassociative personality disorder (what people mistakenly call "split personality").

Speaking about guilty pleasures - although I know this will raise many eyebrows, when it comes to Hook, I've always liked not only the score, but also the film itself. Probably because I was just the right age (10) when it came out.

I might be the only one who think Sleepers is probably the finest score of the 90's

There are those of us who think this is a solid, very good score from Williams.

I agree with Datameister and Maglorfin about KOTCS and Hook, respectively.

The Jungle Book - 1994

Both film and score are some of my absolute favorites. Not that they're among the top 20 greatest films/scores of all time, but they're way up there on my personal preference list. The film is gorgeous, well-paced, a lot of fun, and pretty classy, IMO--what happened to Stephen Sommers? I guess it's just the way movies are right now, but man, this was just a really nice adventure film, with an absolutely wonderful score by Basil Poledouris. The main theme is excellent, and the rest of the score follows suit. It's a wonderful vibe, too--a certain air that draws me in everytime. And the film also has that Victorian period flair that I love. I've enjoyed these since I was a kid, and that fondness has not waned. In fact, I'd have to say the film and score would be on a desert island list.