The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

4 hours ago, Presto said:

So apparently Varese uploaded a bunch of Powell scores OST's to YouTube.

Vinyl?

Maybe I am out of the loop on something, but how is this confusing or surprising?  They have a ton of albums on youtube.

Speaking of Horton:

Which JP score do you prefer, HHAW or The Lorax? 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe I am out of the loop on something, but how is this confusing or surprising?  They have a ton of albums on youtube.

I was just surprised it was a new/recent upload, considering the scores came out several years ago, you would assume they would already be uploaded.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

IDK, IHSSTOAISLAGATUITS.

k.

• 1 month later...

We're announcing the first two CD Club titles of the year this Friday. Clues coming tomorrow. It's about to get fiery.

428637171_904363661690604_75809127850078

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid06C5GpFPUzEhzxJn94vMTrKCgaZT34zUrgkJrCz9m45u64kvYGzsDC4wUSAymfbokl

34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Interesting HTTYD 3 and Reign of Fire?

Karol

And it burns, burns, burns
The reign of fire
The reign of fire

image.png

They're late! It was making me think it would just be Dragon and they weren't bothering with clues.

13th Warrior has a fire dragon... but Reign of Fire also sounds a sensible guess. If tmw's clue is just a picture of a dragon we probably have our answer. I'm buying at least one from this batch for sure!

One day I'll work out how to embed FB posts here:

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid0reJk4qAswPssUbxvJL7xbBjY957DVUjQWh5jLVvUZ7zvL8qZfHVvydMah7vkPFiql

Here are your clues for Friday's CD Club titles. Let's see if you can crack these.
Album 1: 👺👦🏅🪖
Album 2: 🤔🐉🙈🌎

Consensus over there is Reign of Fire and it fits the clues.

The only side suggestion I'd have is that that red figure might be more suited to Grendel, and Beowulf does receive gratitude, and lots of helmets are involved. But Reign is probably it.

Speaking of Hellboy II, which is a good score, does anybody else find it funny Elfman, intentionally or not, uses Goldenthal's Batman theme in this cue? ;)

Karol

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think the third emoticon in #1 is a medal, not a jewel.

The soldier helmet and the medal made me think it was one of the Medal of Honor scores... But if it was then the dragon/demon and the other emoji wouldn't make sense. 

The second one I have literally no idea.

The second one is HTTYD. It's cute that they still play the game (or they genuinely, somehow, don't know that Powell's already told us)

The sole thing pushing me away from Reign of Fire for the first is that the red thing looks a lot more like a monster with a big nose than a dragon.

Hmm... Hellboy 2 is a movie from 2008, after the post-2005 AFM thing. Does anybody know if it was recorded in the US? If it was, then maybe Varese managed to strike some deal with the AFM?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Hmm... Hellboy 2 is a movie from 2008, after the post-2005 AFM thing. Does anybody know if it was recorded in the US? If it was, then maybe Varese managed to strike some deal with the AFM?

It was recorded in London.

Karol

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

One day I'll work out how to embed FB posts here:

What is the issue you're having?

Here it is:

Here are your clues for Friday's CD Club titles. Let's see if you can crack these.

I thought you could paste that link and it would embed it, like Twitter, etc. Haven't we been able to do that in the past with FB or am I misremembering amongst different social media?

John Powell is extremely fortunate to have his scores expanded so 'quickly' after the release of the OSTs.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I thought you could paste that link and it would embed it, like Twitter, etc. Haven't we been able to do that in the past with FB or am I misremembering amongst different social media?

Your memory is perfect!  Facebook posts used to turn into embeds just by pasting in the URL (just like Spotify and Twitter embeds still do), but one day Meta changed something on their backend and instantly Facebook (and Instagram) posts stopped embedding here. 

This happened in October 2020 and no version we've installed since has brought embedding back.

I had a brief glimmer of hope when seeing the first set of emojis that it could be a new and improved version of Starship Troopers, but it really doesn't fit.

Hellboy 2 fits really well.  I briefly thought of Full Metal Jacket as well but obviously Hellboy fits better/perfectly.

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

HTTYD3

Fixed :lol:

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

I had a brief glimmer of hope when seeing the first set of emojis that it could be a new and improved version of Starship Troopers, but it really doesn't fit.

That would have been so great. This is the biggest gap in my collection and one of the finest score ever written that should stay on print forever

Cool that Hellboy II and Nightbreed are (hopefully) being released close to each other. I've always thought of them as sibling scores.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's not just the mastering that needs to be changed for a future release.  There's also cues missing, plus MANY alternates, plus LOTS of source music. 

There's a few cues in that score where the Deluxe Edition has an alternate instead of the version in the film.

I’m aware of those other flaws too. I was just saying that for me personally, the mastering is the biggest issue.

I would LOVE Starship Troopers reissued, because I’m a dumbass and slept on it when it was out the first time. 

But isn’t a reissue of that highly unlikely? Does Varese own it in perpetuity?  Why would they want to put it out again?  Who is steering the ship at Varese nowadays?  Is there someone passionate about this stuff, or is it just sort of inherited from Robert Townson? 

I want to believe the edition @Jay is dreaming of will become reality, but Varese doesn’t seem to reissue things once they’re OOP.