Star Wars Blu-Rays in the works!

Demondm810

From "The Digital Bits" editor, Bill Hunt.

This is a rare Saturday post with some important breaking news: Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet has reportedly confirmed, during a panel today at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, that the company is now working on a Blu-ray Disc box set of all six Star Wars films loaded with extras, for release "in the not too distant future." We're awaiting any kind of official statement from Lucasfilm - one MAY appear on Star Wars.com in the coming days. Nonetheless, MANY people who were in the panel began Tweeting reports of the news almost the moment the words left Sansweet's mouth. IGN has also reported the news with an actual quote from Sansweet: "We have been at work for a couple of years working on - I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff - but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about... there are some real treasures." There is no other official information at this time, but we'll post additional details when and if they come in. HOWEVER...

Consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but our own industry sources have actually been checking in with us in recent weeks on this very subject. Our latest information is that Lucasfilm tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011. Now, we've been hearing reports like this on and off for years, and until now little has come of it. So we've been waiting to say something here on The Bits until we had a hint of more official confirmation. But now that Sansweet has begun talking about the release, we feel more comfortable reporting on the word from our sources. Plans could obviously change and again, even though Sansweet has hinted that it's coming, none of this constitutes an official announcement. But if current plans remain unchanged, our sources say you'll be enjoying The Force in 1080p next October.

Again, we'll post additional updates as they come in. Stay tuned...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I never picked up the original trilogy on DVD, which means I've seen them exactly once since their 1997 releases (and that one time was dubbed on TV). Now if only they'd put the original versions in good quality on this...

I hope they really do make it out this time well for next year. I bet too they will release the Prequel complete scores when they release the Blu-Ray box set. I hope the Original Theatrical Editions of the Original Trilogy are given the special upgrade treatment with this set.

If it has both the theatrical cuts and SEs for the original trilogy, no new mucking about with the movies, and a better transfer than the OT DVDs, I'd be willing.

Hopefully with even the Special Edition of ROTJ Lucas restores Anakin back to the original guy who played him at the end when he joined with Obi-Wan and Yoda's force ghosts. The fact he changed that for the regular DVD pisses me off.

Its ready for Blu-Ray release now, at Star Wars In Concert they showed the clips in High Definition and it looks fantastic!, hope Lucas doesn't change too much (becuase lets face it he will!).

I've got to say about 3 years ago i would have been like - "OMG! they might release the prequel trilogy complete scores!" but now im like - "i'd rather have them revisit the OT trilogy scores and tidy the mixes of them up, because sometimes i listen to them and think it sounds sooo cold and clynical".

If Lucas releases the untouched original versions on Blu he'll look like a hypocrite.

Don't really see this as news anyway, I mean, it's obviously coming out on Blu-ray, in the near future.

If it has both the theatrical cuts and SEs for the original trilogy, no new mucking about with the movies, and a better transfer than the OT DVDs, I'd be willing.

As long as he releases the restored OT original theatrical prints, he can (and should) muck with all six movies for people who want that.

I want to watch CGI Yoda in TPM.

And why not, in ESB and ROTJ! ;)

Yeah, but the footage of the CGI Yoda in Episode I doesn't even look good. It didn't look good in AOTC, looked better in some scenes of ROTS. Probably because I grew up with the Muppet Yoda and the CGI just looks all wrong to me. It feels like an overly animated computerized simulation of Yoda in scenes, not Yoda. He seemed real in the original movies. The puppet in Episode I was ALSO wrong. He looked like a caricature of Yoda and too different. I mean, he's 800 years old and the movies only take place over a length of 30-40 years or something. Why the hell make him look that different? He looks too young and "cute" in the PT. Not as as bad as the CGI face E.T. from 2002, but still pretty bad. The AOTC soundtrack cover image with him and the Doc Brown hair is plain ridiculous. Twirling through the air like Sonic the Hedgehog, screaming...then hunching over and hobbling away with his cane. I mean, I love the magical aspects of the movies (for instance, the Force before it became all scientific), but what the hell.

Yoda in EPII and EPIII is perfectly matching with the OT yoda. In rots there are some scenes that look 100% like the puppet.

Yoda in EPI has already been fixed, just not yet released into the movie.

In one EPIII doc and the video from the SW concert tour it appears like that.

Yoda in EPII and EPIII is perfectly matching with the OT yoda. In rots there are some scenes that look 100% like the puppet.

huh.gif

What will be changed this time?

I'm most excited about the additional content like deleted scenes.

Yeah, what got me was Sansweet saying that they're actually digging up old footage. I'd be pretty surprised, but pleasantly so, if we actually got OT deleted scenes this time.

As long as he releases the restored OT original theatrical prints, he can (and should) muck with all six movies for people who want that.

Why the hell would anyone want that?

huh.gif

Yeah, the CGI moves like a living being. The puppet does not. :mrgreen:

Even so, some ROTS scenes mimmick the puppet movement.

Yoda in the jedi temple 'consumed by darth vader' scene, is rather perfect.

BTW, yoda's puppet looks alot older in ROTJ than in ESB, and just a pair of years have passed. Nobody whines about that...

BTW, yoda's puppet looks alot older in ROTJ than in ESB, and just a pair of years have passed. Nobody whines about that...

No he does not. He's slightly more cross-eyed at points and obviously withering/dying, but he looks like the same dude otherwise. By many accounts it's Mark Hamill that looks completely different. People have complained plenty about ROTJ, so let's even call that into question. Prequel Yoda is like Yoda's crazy, dumber, younger (by a few hundred years) brother, Yodel.

huh.gif

Yeah, the CGI moves like a living being. The puppet does not. :mrgreen:

Even so, some ROTS scenes mimmick the puppet movement.

Yoda in the jedi temple 'consumed by darth vader' scene, is rather perfect.

[speechless]

We can probably be assured that the 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 HD audio tracks will still have the music reversed, muted and noticeably less audible. Also, the colors will be all wrong and everything will be too dark.

Yeah, the TPM puppet looks nothing like the original Yoda. I'm really not sure which approach is preferable...I suppose I prefer the CG Yoda, because at least the likeness is stronger. I can't connect with the TPM Yoda at all. The CG Yoda has the right look...the technology just isn't quite there yet. There were some stunningly good shots in ROTS, though. I wouldn't say I'd ever believe it was the puppet, but the realism was quite high at times.

Oh well. In 20 years, when Lucas masterminds the PT special editions from a convalescent home, maybe the CG Yoda 2.0 will be convincing enough.

EDIT: Also, I must admit...it blows my mind that the only truly egregious fault in Star Wars hasn't been corrected yet, and probably never will be. I'm referring, of course, to the weird out-of-tune start to the main title.

As physically inaccurate as the Yoda puppet in TPM is, it still feels like Yoda to me. It has Frank Oz's performance. The CG Yoda looks nothing like the original puppet to me. Maybe it's because he's always boasting expressions like this:

starwarsepisode3yoda.jpg

Grrrrr, Yoda mad!

yoda.jpg

Barely recognizable.

yes two things I HATE about the prequels it is Yoda being a sword fighter and Palpatine being a swordfighter... If the could take that out of the films for the new special edition, that would be great.

You all seem to forget, the CG Yoda in the Prequels is about what, 30 years or so younger than compared to the OT? So it would only make sense to make him look the same but at the same time slightly different.

The CG Yoda represents a "younger" Yoda (even though, 20 years doesn't really mean a whole lot in a life span of 900 years). The puppet Yoda looks older. I've never really had a problem with CG Yoda in PT vs. muppet Yoda in the OT. I didn't like muppet Yoda in TPM, he just looked too goofy.

Speaking of possible changes to the PT, maybe Lucas can figure out a way to edit out Hayden Christensen and edit in a new actor.

I wish they would release the video of Lucas approving this model of Yoda. "Yea, that looks NOTHING like he's supposed to. Let's go with that"

I wish they would release the video of Lucas approving this model of Yoda. "Yea, that looks NOTHING like he's supposed to. Let's go with that"

I am satisfied with the Video on the AOTC Bonus DVD where he says:"Well .. we'll just say that he looks different every few years...." uuhhhnghh

Probably because I grew up with the Muppet Yoda and the CGI just looks all wrong to me. It feels like an overly animated computerized simulation of Yoda in scenes

I fully agree, and I grew up with the muppet Yoda as much as anyone else too. But, a CG Yoda sticks out no more in the over-CGIed prequels anyway, and that TPM puppet is still absolutely horrendous. CG Yoda is the lesser of two evils.

Unless Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi are presented in their original versions I don't care about any more Star Wars related releases.

And TPM Yoda should already have been changed to CGI. One of the docs on either AOTC or ROTS has a scene from TPM with a CGI Yoda replacing the puppet.

And even if they are presented in their original theatrical versions, I still wouldn't buy these.

If they issued the separately I would.

I bet at minimum they will repackage the old trilogy soundtracks again to coincide with the Blus. Probably remastering Jedi would be too much to expect. Is it true they found the master tapes for Jedi a few years ago? or was that just a rumor..

I bet at minimum they will repackage the old trilogy soundtracks again to coincide with the Blus. Probably remastering Jedi would be too much to expect. Is it true they found the master tapes for Jedi a few years ago? or was that just a rumor..

I think that's a rumor, but not completely unfounded. The Jedi bits on the Musical Journey DVD sound great.