Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

If J.W. scores "D.H." pt2, then it might make a nice early Christmas present. Personally, I couldn't give a toss. IMO the series died the day Mike Newell said "no" to J.W. scoring "GOF". Nick Hoper has given us some good music, and I have no doubt that Desplat will do the same, but IT IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT J.W! I hope that Desplat finishes what he starts, and scores pt2, but I don't think he will.

But... Newell didn't say "no" - John did. He was very busy that year and couldn't fit it within his schedule. I'm pretty sure that if John decided to do it, Mike Newell would have happily obliged.

I've yet to hear a story of someone actually saying "No" to Williams' participation. At least, a legitimate one...

Yeah, right. Dry that one out, and you can fertilise the lawn. I can't prove it, of course, but I think that Newell definitely did not want J.W. scoring GOF, and wanted Doyle all along, having worked with him before on several occasions. It's on record what Newell thinks of J.W. The maestro had a lucky escape, IMO.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this: John Williams chose to score Memoirs of a Geisha rather than keep his schedule open for Goblet of Fire and Mike Newell preferred working with Patrick Doyle.

Naturally a director would want to work with someone they are comfortable with. However, I'm sure Newell would have worked fine with Williams.

But we must keep the conspiracy theory open on this board or else the potter fans won't have anything else to talk about.

-Mark, who predicts this will continue long after the DH Part II is released with Desplat's score.

I also recall listening to an interview where Newell expressed that in his opinion (which i cannot understand nor in any way share) Williams magical sound was fine for the first few films but not for GoF. I think he answered that in response to abandoning all the themes and changing Hedwig's theme.

In the end Newell blew it, Doyle blew it and the whole movie didnt feel like Harry Potter at all and is widely regarded as one of the weakest Potter movies.

How about this: John Williams chose to score Memoirs of a Geisha rather than keep his schedule open for Goblet of Fire and Mike Newell preferred working with Patrick Doyle.

Haven't we been saying that for about 5 years now?

I also recall listening to an interview where Newell expressed that in his opinion (which i cannot understand nor in any way share) Williams magical sound was fine for the first few films but not for GoF. I think he answered that in response to abandoning all the themes and changing Hedwig's theme.

In the end Newell blew it, Doyle blew it and the whole movie didnt feel like Harry Potter at all and is widely regarded as one of the weakest Potter movies.

In what sense? It's the second highest rating HP on RT after POA.

Funnily enough, I was listening to CoS today, and enjoyed it very much. I may get flamed for this, but can anyone paraphrase what the debate is about? I'm afraid I wasn't on the message board back when this happened, and This article seems to be consistent with the sound of the score, which sounds very much like mostly Williams himself wrote it.

The complaints are generally stupid. It's a JW score, the performance is phenomenal and the re-used music is not any kind of an issue for me. The parts from Star Wars amount to 30 seconds or so, if that and you won't hear it on the soundtrack. It's 70 minutes of JW bliss. I just wish we had it all.

Well, there are two related-but-separate issues here. One is who wrote the music, and one is whether it's any good. The correct answers are: Williams, with some assistance from Ross in order to get it done on time; and no.

Actually, I'm kidding on that last one. Sort of. A lot of the new music is not bad at all. And if you were to just listen to the COS OST without ever having heard any other Harry Potter music, it'd be an amazing experience. But the problem is that the score as heard in the film relies VERY heavily on music that was taken note-for-note from SS - not to mention AOTC and Jurassic Park, with significant inspiration from TLC as well for Lockheart. If you haven't heard those scores or if you don't pay attention, it doesn't matter. But I'm intimately familiar with the music for these films, so it annoys me to no end how COS basically got a temp track (plus a few new ideas) instead of a whole new score.

EDIT: Yeah, "Chase Through Coruscant" was quoted very literally during the Quidditch match, and the Separatists' theme became Lucius Malfoy's theme. Then "The Dueling Club" ends with material taken directly from "Eye to Eye." And the score as heard in the film is filled to the brim with material taken from SS. The blow is softened somewhat by the fact that a lot of that music was unreleased and some of it wasn't even used in SS...but again, if you're really, really familiar with SS, that doesn't help much.

I have GOT to watch the film again. I actually owned the DVD when it came out, loaned it out, and haven't seen it since. I was very close to rebuying it today at a used CD/DVD store, but it was fullscreen. I remember actually enjoying the film very much. Yes, the Gilderoy theme is essentially "No Ticket" but that's alright by me. It's still a fun listen. I think the new themes for Fawkes, the Chamber of Secrets, and Dobby are really wonderful, and stand right up there with the other themes from SS and PoA. So on Album, I think it's pretty delightful.

That's one of the weakest parts of LC and the COS theme is better in my opinion.

I actually agree. For some reason, "No Ticket" reminds me of my Dad's snoring when we used to go camping. :o

I think the new themes for Fawkes, the Chamber of Secrets, and Dobby are really wonderful, and stand right up there with the other themes from SS and PoA.

Not to mention a couple of great set pieces in The Flying Car, Spiders, and Dueling the Basilisk.

All those elements are the positive side of COS. If you can appreciate all that and ignore the temp track feel of the score as a whole, it's a fun listen. That can sometimes be a challenging task for me, but I manage. :P

All those elements are the positive side of COS. If you can appreciate all that and ignore the temp track feel of the score as a whole, it's a fun listen. That can sometimes be a challenging task for me, but I manage. :P

I can understand your plight.

I feel the same way about Prince Caspian, for instance.

For whatever reason 2-3 of the films important scenes just reused cues from the first movie verbatim.

It was disappointing and made it feel cheap.

(One of the main reasons I'm not sad to see Harry leave the series.)

Williams wanted to score Geisha over returning to Potter so there's a good chance it wouldn't matter who was directing the film.

Huh? Evidence, please, Mark.

How about this: Williams was going to score MOAG because his old mucker Steve was going to direct it. When Spielberg bailed, Williams was left in the uncomfortable position of either staying with the film, or following Spielberg, which would not have looked good. The fact that Spielberg is co-exec (or whatever) only just provided Williams with incentive. IMO, Williams would not touch a Rob Marshall film with a ten-feet pole. In the end, though, he provided the best chance for an Oscar winner since SL. Ho hum.

Naturally a director would want to work with someone they are comfortable with. However, I'm sure Newell would have worked fine with Williams.

But we must keep the conspiracy theory open on this board or else the potter fans won't have anything else to talk about.

-Mark, who predicts this will continue long after the DH Part II is released with Desplat's score.

Have to disagree there, Mark. IMO, it would have ended like the Richard Lester/"Superman II" fiasco.

Qiute so. It's bloody awful.

Williams wanted to score Geisha over returning to Potter so there's a good chance it wouldn't matter who was directing the film.

How about this: Williams was going to score MOAG because his old mucker Steve was going to direct it. When Spielberg bailed, Williams was left in the uncomfortable position of either staying with the film, or following Spielberg, which would not have looked good. The fact that Spielberg is co-exec (or whatever) only just provided Williams with incentive. IMO, Williams would not touch a Rob Marshall film with a ten-feet pole. In the end, though, he provided the best chance for an Oscar winner since SL. Ho hum.

I thought it was common knowledge that JW lobbied for MOAG because he loved the book, the director was inconsequential.

I thought it was common knowledge that JW lobbied for MOAG because he loved the book, the director was inconsequential.

This is interesting, Charlie. I always thought that J.W. preferred not to read the book or script, because it would "prejudice" his impressions of the film. He has been quoted saying that he preferred to watch-and respond to- the film. Has he changed his MO? Of course, I could be talking bullshit, because he started working on CE3K in 1976...

This is interesting, Charlie. I always thought that J.W. preferred not to read the book or script, because it would "prejudice" his impressions of the film. He has been quoted saying that he preferred to watch-and respond to- the film. Has he changed his MO? Of course, I could be talking bullshit, because he started working on CE3K in 1976...

I think it's because he read the book before knowing they were making a film, or that he would be scoring it, then went for it when he found out he could have a chance of doing it.

Yup. He tries to avoid reading books before they are adapted, but if it can't be avoided that won't be reason to not score a project. He also read the first Harry Potter book before scoring the film.

I was just checking the official Harry Potter website. In the "About the Movie" section, I clicked on Desplat's profile. At the very end of the profile, it says "He next starts work on 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- Part 2', the conclusion of the Harry Potter franchise."

It's official: Desplat is returning for Part Two. John Williams ain't doing it.

Not surprised, but slightly disappointed.

On the (big) upside, I'm looking forward to hearing how Desplat develops the material he established for Part One. And I can't wait to hear how he tackles the Battle of Hogwarts!

It doesn't matter that Willy isn't scoring it. We are already getting two amazing scores next year!

And looking forward to hear how Desplat will develop his own stuff and maybe revisit something from the previous films.

I'm looking forward to hearing how Desplat develops the material he established for Part One. And I can't wait to hear how he tackles the Battle of Hogwarts!

:)

It was obvious that if they cant get Williams they will stay with Desplat and i would have supported them but then i heard his Part1 soundtrack..........

After such a dissapointing listening experience i have to say: "What a pity to get Desplat again :)" There would be so many other good choices possible. And after the probably most unmemorable Potter score continuity between Part1 and 2 is for nothing now, makes not even sense anymore. He created nothing memorable worthy of continuity treatment for this soundtrack and now he does the last Part and will probably struggle hard. We all knew before that he can't write action that well.

How shall such a subtle, themeless, unmemorable and boring Desplat underscore work for an action film (2/3 are action) and the finale of an eight movie franchise. I have no idea at all.

Well, there it is. I love Desplat's new score and I'm excited that he's returning, but...*sigh*. At least we have TinTin and War Horse to look forward to.

And I don't get the complaint that "Part II will be 2/3 action" and that Desplat "can't write action". Even if I agreed that Desplat's action writing is totally uninspired (I've never really been all that engaged by action music, even from Williams, but I think "Sky Battle" is one of the better action cues I've heard in awhile), I can really only think of two big scenes in the second half of the novel that would require a ton of heavy action writing throughout the scene: the Gringotts break-in, and the scene in the flaming Room of Requirement. There are a few more isolated moments here and there, but most of the battle itself is driven by drama, not action. Even if John Williams had returned, I would have been predicting/hoping for more "Saving Private Ryan", and less "Star Wars".

Also, John's modern action writing sucks.

Thanks for reminding us of that fact on a John Williams fan site.

In 90% of your posts your defending another composer over John Williams...or it seems that way. Sometimes you sound like a troll

Also, John's modern action writing sucks.

Thanks for reminding us of that fact on a John Williams fan site.

In 90% of your posts your defending another composer over John Williams...or it seems that way. Sometimes you sound like a troll

No, you just take everything at face value. Although Joe is correct. I far prefer his modern dramatic writing to his action music, whereas both used to be incredible. But I tend to exaggerate at times, some times for comedy, others because it gets sickening on here some times.

But perhaps I exaggerate because of the attitude of some people towards other composers. I know this is a JW fansite, but I believe there are many balanced individuals on here, so when you get people saying "Herrmann or Steiner or Waxman aren't fit to lick JW's boots", which is what it seems happens a lot of the time, things seem a little out of perspective. Also, I think people are being unfair to Desplat and made up their mind on DH as soon as they found out JW wasn't doing it.

James Horner should have scored HP7

At least we would have gotten something pretty solid.

I've been wanting Horner to score Potter ever since Williams left. Even if we got Willow-Redux it would have been eons better than what Hooper gave us (Doyle did a good job, I feel).