Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, War Horse ruined HP

As usual Spielberg takes one these 4 year sabbatical only to make a movie exactly when Williams is scheduled to score one of his most anticipated movie

We would have gotten a better HPCoS ,AotC and RotS score if Spielberg didn't make a movie at that exact moment

Why are people sounding the conspiracy and B.S. alarms? Yates provided a sound explanation -- and despite what the liner notes said, it seems like Desplat was offered Part 2 after Williams turned it down.

Actually, the director states that Williams didn't turn down the job, he turned down Williams.

Why are people sounding the conspiracy and B.S. alarms?

Because "I'd be embarassed to show him a rough cut of the movie" is asinine. It's not the way the industry works.

When a director blatantly lies, there's more to the story.

Now "there's more to the story" could be as simple as Yates did not believe he could deliver a rough cut in time. But as it stands in that interview, typo, editor's error, whatever, it is a lie.

If Williams is Yates god he hopefully will force both Yates and Desplat to use more of Hedwig's Theme, write memorable own themes and hopefully cameo at least one other classic Potter theme like family or window to the past!

(Either Yates is lying here in his praise for Williams or he just completely lacks any sense of music . Because if he has so much praise for Williams how can he value Hooper so much. I mean friendship is good and well but seriously considering to let his friend Hooper butcher another two movies is extremely strange.

shakehead.gif

Don't dignify crap with responses, Koray.

The same goes for you.

Why are people sounding the conspiracy and B.S. alarms? Yates provided a sound explanation -- and despite what the liner notes said, it seems like Desplat was offered Part 2 after Williams turned it down.

Let it go, people.

We let it go, but the explanation is, like it was said before, asinine.

I don't know when Yates approached Williams, but it doesn't seem likely to approach a sequel composer when you are in the middle of post-production of the most important movie of your carreer. And it's also highly inappropriate to hire someone else when your composer for part 1 is in the booth at the same time, working like an ass to record music.

And if he really wanted Williams while Desplat was scoring part 1, the story in the CD booklet is made-up trash.

So, it doesn't look good from any perspective.

This story is as close to true as Hooper being "too tired" for more films. Hell, Williams did 4 movies a year at the age of 70!

And it's also contradicting itself on all ends.

If Williams is Yates' god, he had hired him in the first place, not Hooper.

And Yates loved Hooper's score, otherwise he had not brought him back for HBP. And he would have brought him back for Deathly Hallows as well, had there not been problems during the scoring of HBP (some omitted, tracked and replaced music strongly indicates that).

Yates likes the low-key style (I'll leave that neutral description ...) of the Hoopers and Desplats of this world, and wants it in his movies. Williams is not as, well, let's call it "subtle" as Hooper or Desplat, so Yates did not want that.

David Yates, by this time next year, will have worked on four Harry Potter movies, he could have contacted Williams anytime to tell him he would like Williams to return for Deathly Hallows.

Taken everything into account, this is a very likely scenario.

Yates embraced Williams' schedule, and Williams is being polite, as always. At the age of 80, with several dozen Academy Award nominations under your belt, you don't need this crap, or a director telling you to alter your style significantly.

Yeah... you're assuming quite a lot based on very little.

Yates would have hired Williams from the get go? You forget Order Of The Phoenix was his first motion picture. You don't make those types of demands to your executive bosses over at WB. I think he was happy enough to be able to get Hooper on board.

The real story behind HP score was reported by someone on the inside : Spielberg wanted to hire Hooper for Tintin, because he wanted this film to have a fresh sound, to offer something new. But Yates tried to get Williams on board for Deathly Hallows - Part 1. Spielberg learned about this, and said : "Nobody touches to my Johnny". So he fired Hooper and he hired Williams for Tintin. Hooper then asked permission to Yates to score Deathly Hallows - Part 1, but Yates, knowing that Hooper tried to betray him by composing the score for Tintin, said "Get the hell out of here ! I'm getting a new guy for the job". That's why he chose Desplat. That's when things got complicated. Hooper knew Spielberg wanted Desplat for War Horse, so he warned Yates about this, telling him : "You can't have this guy for Part 2. Hire me!". But then Williams came and also asked to score Deathly Hallows - Part 2. Hooper tried to get Desplat fired by Spielberg, so that Williams will be on board for War Horse, and so that he (Hooper) could score Deathly Hallows - Part 2. But Yates, wanting to piss off Steven, called Desplat and asked him to score HP. Williams, infuriated, came to Spielberg before Hooper had the chance to do so, and asked to score War Horse. Spielberg said OK. Hooper said he was too much tired to score HP. Yates said he was too ashamed to present a rough cut of the film to Williams. We don't get the chance to hear Hedwig's theme in its full form ever again.

So who's going to score that movie?

And will they use Hedwig's Theme?

----

Is all this new speculation based on the liner notes then? I haven't got round to ordering the score yet (not sure if I want the physical CD or not - I have all 6 OSTs on CD, but really, I don't need this on an actual CD).

Since everyone wants to keep going, I'll keep repeating:

If John Williams had really wanted to score another Harry Potter film, he would have done so.

Since everyone wants to keep going, I'll keep repeating:

If John Williams had really wanted to score another Harry Potter film, he would have done so.

Agreed........besides, I thought that the release of "War Horse" had been put back to late-December, thus giving J.W. a chance to score "D.H.pt.2", if he had wanted to.

He's not doing it. "It's a fact, Landon; buy it".

Actually, John Williams was wrong for the Harry Potter franchise since Day One.

British writer, British setting, all-British* cast...American composer. Doesn't make sense.

With Mister Desplat, the final film can now receive some level of European sensibility.

* Yes, I know Warwick Davis and the Quidditch teacher are American. Fudging the facts is the spirit of the Interwebs.

British writer, British setting, all-British* cast...American composer. Doesn't make sense.

With Mister Desplat, the final film can now receive some level of European sensibility.

* Yes, I know Warwick Davis and the Quidditch teacher are American. Fudging the facts is the spirit of the Interwebs.

European sensibility? Where do you think that both Richard Francis Bruce, and John Seale come from, then?! :lol:

Um.... American director?

Warwick Davis is as British as Alan Rickman.

Richard Harris on the other hand...

Hi all. I run an Aussie based HP fan site and was in London recently for the premiere and press junket for Part 1. Being a film music enthusiast too I wanted to get to the bottom of the whole John Williams saga. I've been waiting and hoping for the best part of five years now for a JW return, so here's what David Heyman and David Barron had to say:

http://www.harrypotterfanzone.com/2010/11/david-heyman-david-yates-on-alexandre-desplats-deathly-hallows-music-john-williams-returning/

Harry Potter Fan Zone (HPFZ): Was John Williams ever asked to score Deathly Hallows: Part 2? Did he decline?

David Heyman (DH): Yes, he was. We wanted to make it work with John but John's schedule didn't permit.

David Barron (DB): He was just unavailable unfortunately.

HPFZ: He wanted to do it?

Both: He did, very much so.

DH: We asked him around the time of six. Actually, we talked to him all the way along [about coming back for the end] but his schedule didn't permit.

DB: It's incredible for a man of advancing years who you think might be taking it easy, we spoke to him almost two years before the scoring sessions for this film and already then he had schedule issues.

DH: And then he tried to work his schedule to try and accommodate it but it just wasn't possible.

I hope that's of some interest. At the end of the interview an exceedingly obnoxious journo at our table piped up with "probably for the best" before everyone at the table laughed. That was just about the nail in the coffin for my whole JW/HP dream but at least now it can be put to bed.

So we can conclude Williams is a lazy ass bum.*

*If we ignore the fact the man is fast approaching 80.

Yes how dare he not score every movie in existence. After all he is a music making machine.

I'm surprised he isn't a hobo yet, with all the work he's not doing.

No no Johnny is a wily stock market genius. He put all his money in canned food. A safe bet anyday.

So he can sit back and enjoy years and years of all booked up life.

Um.... American director?

American screenwriter...

Don't get me wrong, I would love Williams to keep chugging along but perhaps I look at things through a more realistic or pessimistic perspective when it comes to the realities of time and age.

I just know if I had the long, successful career he did, I would want to step back and enjoy my senior years away from the demands and deadlines of scoring films.

Basically when it comes time for to retire, I'm going to retire. :cool:

I understand that. And what I meant was that I want JW to work on projects that he's excited about. He deserved it. They don't have to be the most crowd-pleasing efforts. I enjoy most of his music anyway.

Karol - who's contemplating purchasing the horn concerto on iTunes.

• 2 months later...