What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I need to give that one more attention.  I listened to twice over a year ago and I remember thinking it was beautifully orchestrated and performed but didn't really connect with the melodies in a meaningful way.

They are solid enough. But true, strong melody isn't necessarily the strongest attraction. It's still more melodic than most things these days.

Karol

On 5/22/2017 at 4:25 PM, publicist said:

Wild Rovers - Jerry Goldsmith

For whatever reason Blake Edwards chose Goldsmith, not Henry Mancini for this autumnal western swan song about two drifting cowboys, played by William Holden (wonderful) and Ryan O'Neal. Originally conceived at 2,5 hours, it was heavily edited and changed by MGM, including a reversal of the ending from a negative one to a positive. It's part buddy movie, part doe-eyed reflection about the end of the old west (or better, a demystification of cowboy life).

Apparently Mancini and Edwards had a feud on the set of Darling Lili over the use of the music. It's also why Mancini didn't score The Carey Treatment or The Taramind Seed either. It wasn't until Return of The Pink Panther that they were able to settle their differences apparently. Good thing too. 

Perfume - The Story of a Murderer by Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil

Krull by James Horner

The Rocketeer by James Horner

On the Beach by Christopher Gordon

:music:  J. F. K.

My goodness, this is a powerhouse of a score. THE MOTORCADE, THE CONSPIRATORS, ARLINGTON CEMETERY, THE DEATH OF DAVID FERRIE, GARRISON'S OBSESSION: the score is jam-packed with goodies.

It's a score that never let's the listener off the hook. Even the THEME FROM JFK ends in a disconcerting fog of dissonance. 

It's not an easy listen, by any standard, and it might just be JW's own POTA, but it offers much satisfaction on repeated listening. Just stick with it.

On 5/25/2017 at 0:13 PM, Disco Stu said:

The Battle of Neretva - Bernard Herrmann

Trying to acquaint myself with some of the lesser known Herrmann scores.  This OST is unrelenting!  It's very novel to hear Herrmann writing in a militaristic style.  I like it!

Check out this march.  It's on fire!

When he marries this militarism with his more usual cerebral style, it's positively breathtaking.  Just check this shit out:

I listened to this OST again this morning.  It's so great.  Really happy to have discovered this.  Needs a CD release!!

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Can't wait for the complete score release!

...if it ever gets here.

:music: Radio 3's SOUND OF CINEMA.

It's all about 1977, today. They're playing the weird and wonderful DEMON SEED, by Jerry Fielding. Next up, EQUUS, by Richard Rodney Bennett.

One of my top ten (or perhaps top twenty, at least) scores ever. 

Speaking of Poledouris, I'm considering looking into Under Siege 2, though I have no desire to sit through the movie to find out whether or not the score is worthwhile. The idea of getting a package in the mail with Steven Seagal's face on it just sounds awkward. Can't we just pretend Katie McGrath saved everyone from the train hijackers instead?

On 25/05/2017 at 2:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

It's Tchaikovsky:

Turns out this Tchaikovsky fella was pretty good.

I believe the bulk of Bruns' original music was in the climax of the film (prince storming the castle, fighting the dragon and whatnot).

Thank you for that. But Brun's use of the cue, both the setting and the choir, was inspired

7 minutes ago, Romão said:

Thank you for that. But Brun's use of the cue, both the setting and the choir, was inspired

No arguments here, I'll never downplay his role on that score.  It's so weird how in the original ballet that piece is meant for a lighthearted, silly dance.  It only sounds menacing and disturbing to me now!

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

One of my top ten (or perhaps top twenty, at least) scores ever. 

Speaking of Poledouris, I'm considering looking into Under Siege 2, though I have no desire to sit through the movie to find out whether or not the score is worthwhile. The idea of getting a package in the mail with Steven Seagal's face on it just sounds awkward. Can't we just pretend Katie McGrath saved everyone from the train hijackers instead?

Under Siege 2 is good. It has a simple enough patriotic theme, but the action is as engaging as ever for Poledouris. 

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No arguments here, I'll never downplay his role on that score.  It's so weird how in the original ballet that piece is meant for a lighthearted, silly dance.  It only sounds menacing and disturbing to me now!

Agreed 100%. And it remains my favorite sequence about the movie

The Circle - Danny Elfman

I had no idea what to expect, but this is really good.  A fun, nifty little electronic score from Elfman!  Beeps! Boops!

Check out the vocoder-ized electro version of "Simple Gifts" towards the end ;)  Is Copland rolling in his grave?  I dunno, but I like it!

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Comedy!

John Williams - Dracula (please reissue the CD!!!)

John Williams - Tower Inferno (OST)

John Williams - The Fury (OST)

There's a certain symmetry, to that choice.

"Comedy" ha-ha!

:music:  GABRIEL'S OBOE, on Classic FM; a nice way to wake up.

Stanley & Iris by John Williams

Powder by Jerry Goldsmith

3 hours ago, Richard said:

There's a certain symmetry, to that choice.

"Comedy" ha-ha!

Oh I meaned: Thriller, sorry!

Now wait a second, comedy is a word that's basically the same between French and English, so you can't blame English being a second language for that one!

It's okay you don't understand my way of categorize things.

Documentaries!

John Williams - Jurassic Park

John Williams - Minority report

John Williams - Close encouters of the third kind

The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King - I don't think I'll ever be able to get over just how perfect this score is. Shore managed to perfectly capture the sweeping and majestic feel of FOTR, just on a far grander scale this time. All the previous themes and character motifs are handled so masterfully, and the new themes have such vast depth and richness to them. Shore truly knocked it out of the park with this one. Quite possibly the greatest film score of all time.

Both the film and its score mark the end of the age of the great Hollywood epics of old, the likes of which we will never see again.

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I've expressed before that Elfman scores tend to lose my attention when his (great) main themes aren't on, but I've oddly been really enjoying this one so far. 

It has some of his best actual underscore. Good stuff all around.

On 26.5.2017 at 8:06 PM, BloodBoal said:
On 26.5.2017 at 7:42 PM, Incanus said:

Perfume - The Story of a Murderer by Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil

Thoughts?

The score alternates between broadcasting the olfactory sensations through music, which is perhaps its strongest suit with beautiful choral work, the murderous off-kilter suspense that has the pulsing undercurrent that works as an effective musical trigger and the somewhat less succesful faux-classical seriousness of the more melodramatic parts. Overall I do like the music quite a bit and there is a nice dramatic arc to it on the album. Something between ominous and beautiful.