What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I find it strange that JW never recorded a concert arrangement of Far and Away for orchestra without soloist.

It's a shame he never straight up rerecorded the original end credit suite.  The other suites just don't capture the same magic

The best track from Far and Away is "Book of Days."

:music: Titanic: 20th Anniversary Edition

Is this the best release ever? Yes, it is. I've been wishing for this since I was a little boy.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I find it strange that JW never recorded a concert arrangement of Far and Away for orchestra without soloist.

There are two other Far and Away concert arrangement out there I believe.

One of the numerous (11, if i count right) James Horner scores that graced cinemas in 1993, 'The Man without a Face' solidified Horner's flirt with the big handkerchief dramas he so craved. Mel Gibson's directorial debut about a disfigured teacher who befriends a troubled young boy is reputable, though strictly of the safe variety (lots of photogenic scenery, aestival Maine this time, averts the intrusion of too much real life), Horner responds in kind with a mixture of noble horn and string uplift and tearful americana bel cantos. To be honest, it works better when separated from the movie, where the lush LSO recording tends to become a bit too balmy and expansive for the introspective two character drama.

Taken on its own, it's one of Horner's more distinctive works - it remained relatively un-pillaged, at least by Horner standards - and there is a certain stately elegance in the arrangements that flow like classical movements, i. e. the opening cue, 'A Father's Legacy' (though it never actually gets more sophisticated than the simple tunes allow). It's also thankfully bereft of pathetic excesses and whispers more than it begs. In fact, it's a perfect match for the same year's 'Searching for Bobby Fischer' and probably one of the last reminders that films like this could have recognizable melodic accompaniment instead of quirky patchwork stuff or meandering piano solos.

Went on a Shire binge- Pelham 123, Hindenburg and my favourite, Big Bus

I've not seen the lattermost for years, but love the main theme -that 70s sound and yet somehow epic in the mould of disaster movies of the time. Outside of the main theme quite fond of Springfield Sequence and Harbinger Curve, again for the 70s/epic mix. 

last night, Leith Stevens' scores for War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

It doesn't make for a particularly exciting album but the music itself is good.

I think the album is a fine listen, but it doesn't gain much in complete form.

Legends of the Fall by James Horner

Hidalgo by James Newton Howard

21 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Did I miss the lengthy publicist review of Titanic 4CD?

I wouldn't dare. Like the shark in Jaws 4 you would cross oceans in mere hours, thirsting for revenge.

Given my complete dislike of almost every stylistic choice in 'Titanic' it's one of the few Horner scores that completely blanks me. But it has made the rounds in our little Berlin community so i may give it a spin due to your relentless plugging.

It's a little score of 38 minutes that contains more music than heard in the movie, so this is it.

I didn't remember, but the track "The Meeting in Sicily" is an early version of the "Esplanade Overture" (with a different coda), that I never heard in it's "final" version ... "Final" version that was played in concert, but was never published nor recorded.

BTW I used the word "Coda" in my last post... I didn't read a partition since so many years (I once was a clarinet player in another life), I even don't remember what is a Coda. :huh:

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Fuck that!

GLORIA is stunning!

The rest of the score is none too shabby, either.

It is a brilliant little score and the album is just a perfect experience from start to finish.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:52 AM, Holko said:

Rediscovering the first Shrek's score now. Powell's bloody great, and you can definitely hear the seeds of How to Train Your Dragon in some of the cues around the dragon:

Although the score's a bit bare on its own without All Star and the rest, that's more about those songs being an integral part of the movie, not Powell being bad at all.

Err... what?

On 30.12.2017 at 4:42 AM, publicist said:

Hands down my favourite expansion this year. Lacks the historical significance of Ben-Hur, CE3K etc. No Oscar, not even a JWFans Best-of-list was ever in the cards for this, but i just love the atmosphere and that it is a sophisticated chill around your neck instead of big time pyrotechnics like 'Poltergeist'. Apparently Spielberg was much more involved than PR at the time let on, even directing some of it and hiring JG. That explains why the long version reveals a much more tight grip on musical character building than was the norm for big effects movies Goldsmith did at the time. Lots of effort to play around with motivic develoment you only will appreciate in the complete release - ca. an hour would have been the ideal length. Best late Goldsmith next to 'The Mummy'. 

Suite: 

And I thought I would be the only one! I haven't even listened to it and I know it's the most important expansion of 2017!

Collage - James Horner

I fell in love with the final movement a couple years ago (it was actually one of the first Horner works I ever heard!) but today I was listening through the whole concerto again and ... wow. Incredible! :woop: Those horn harmonies...

Another Cloverfield courtesy of mucho prolific Bear McCreary. The length of the release, a punishing 76 minutes, as usually posits itself in direct opposition to the level of interest (they should give out voucher cards for finishing these uninterrupted). It's not that McCreary (and team, presumably) lacks the chops but what he offers up here is a fire sale of 'it might be from some great score' soundalikes that musically do not hold up to much scrutiny (i suspect heavy JNH temp tracking). 

While much more satisfying than Giacchino's recent asthmatic contributions (McCreary knows a thing or two about instrumental range and variation) it likewise just does not add up to anything more than a Where's Waldo? of moments recalling James Newton Howard ca. 'Signs' (or already diluted Jerry Goldsmith channeled by JNH, as in the daft 'Airlock 6') and James Horner ca. 'Deep Impact' (cooing choruses!). This is all not 'bad' in any offending sense, sometimes even pleasingly lyrical (A Message for Ava), but strictly not original enough in content and gestalt to be considered relevant. One wishes McCreary a better, more creative outlet for his obvious talent beyond awful Netflix/Marvel shows and mediocre pseudo sci-fi retreads like Cloverfield Part XYZ.

An album presentation that might have presented the music in a better light you find above. The Spacewalk sequence and the suite at the end are the best cues.

I could never quite understand your admiration for JNH. What is so special about his music? Other than about half dozen of his score (all of which happen to be the first six Shyamalan collaborations), it is a real a chore to finish his albums. Most of his scores are fine...but merely workmanlike. Help me understand.

Karol