What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Tbh, of the 3-5 scores JNH did per year between 1985 and 1995, very few are of much interest. Falling Down is his best *mature* work of these years, Alive, Wyatt Earp, Intersection and Waterworld are good to very good. The Fugitive i never did connect to, but it's rated highly, so be it. He came into his own with the mid to late 90's only.

Agreed. Alive and Falling Down are okay, and Wyatt Earp is one of my favorite scores from him from the 90s alongside Waterworld and The Postman. But I think he only got really great after 95.

Nah. I think the first half of the 90s is his best period (FLATLINERS to WATERWORLD). Without contest. Then again, I'm old enough to be your father, so we no doubt have different frames of reference here.

3 hours ago, Aenae said:

The Informer - Max Steiner

audio_94B52A08C77742C6AD6365F4D0C5D4CC.m

Since my favourite film composer, Elliot Goldenthal, listed this as his #5 favourite film score of all time when he listed his top 5 film scores of all time, I had to check it out. 

While it was a nice score, I just don't get why Goldenthal likes this one so much. I think more than a few of Goldenthal's own scores are better and more interesting than this.

I think Goldenthal was virtue signalling.

😎

R-810607-1161122064.jpeg.jpg

Stephane Picq's seminal score for the original 1992 game, "spruced up" a bit to function like a great conceptual synth album.

Just for one Spice, called Melange.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

R-810607-1161122064.jpeg.jpg

Stephane Picq's seminal score for the original 1992 game, "spruced up" a bit to function like a great conceptual synth album.

I like that album. Impossibly expensive to get, though

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're probably thinking of turmeric.

As far as I know, the price difference between true saffron and turmeric is irrelevant compared to the Spice Melange.

I listened to Jerry Goldsmith's Hoosiers today.  

Probably stating the obvious, but the melodies are so wonderfully Americana, it could be used to score a Western.  The Pivot is practically a hoedown.

Even the pathos theme for Dennis Hopper's character sounds decidedly Native American, from the same style of the Poltergeist II themes.

In fact, remove the synth and sampled basketball impacts, and you've got the score to the most glorious Western movie never made.

EDIT: Well, for me, at least... the melodies are very Copland-esque.

I recently revisited Elfman's full unaltered work on SM2, and boy does it get better everytime. I still don't know which one I prefer between the two, given they both have their own unique qualities that make them stand out. I would've liked the first for the longest time for how effortlessly it exudes this youthful energy, but the maturity in the second is just about as strong. I guess it really just depends on how I'm feeling at the moment, but I probably would put Spidey 2 at 2nd place in the trilogy (since Spidey 3 will always be on top imo).

R-2855516-1304155623.jpeg.jpg

I played the first volume awhile back. Time to spin the second volume, which is equally great. Smooth world music vibes are great for summer days like these.

The Hitman's Bodyguard.jpg

While waiting for the sequel I've decided to play this back and it's damn fun. Nice compilation of song and a really good original score by Örvarsson. A little personnal favourite from 2017!!!

ab67616d0000b273b1f0395d76dc96e48b087a81

I have this thing for McNeely's sweeping 90s scores - often for clunky movies like this 1995 effort. Totally transparent orchestral pastiche, of course (with more than a few nods to Williams), but done with such elegance, it's hard not to like.

WTF? I legit thought that was Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Christina Ricci on that cover, turns out that's Anna Chlumsky? Damn!

Huh?  I'm saying the person on the left (Anna Chlumsky) looked like Jonathan Taylor Thomas to me - I didn't recognize her at all.  Obviously the person on the right is Christina Ricci.

Ah, gotcha.

ab67616d0000b273f527cd328e84778531685f80

Söderqvist hasn't quite ignited my passion since KON-TIKI in 2013, but this one from last year was pretty good. Good enough to enter my iTunes collection, anyway. Those minimalist, melancholic piano rolls in the opening theme is classic Johan.

56 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

The Hunter For Red October : Artistes Divers: Amazon.fr: Musique

A really nice score from Poledouris. The main title is absolutely terrific but I think the score presentation is a bit short. Too bad that the Intrada presentation went OOP.

The full score doesn't offer more than a few more bits that are really relevant. Ultimately, it's a score that's severely limited by its budget. The highlights are stunning, but they're padded, even on the album, with synth ostinato tension cues that are longer than they are interesting. The album sequencing is unfortunate, but the chronological score presentation still (naturally) culminates in Kaboom!!! (which *is* exciting, but rather anticlimactic as far as musical interest goes). The film version of Red Route I is also inferior to the album version. I will admit that it's nice to have the programme capped off with the a-cappella chorales; they're just the standard recordings without the orchestra and synths mixed in, but the choral writing is much more self sufficient than usual for cases like this. The sound quality of that track is limited though.

15 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Man that's might be my favourite JNH score so far. Great orchestration and lot of really good highlights.I will definitely be purchasing the LLL set as soon as I can.

Did you only listen to it for the first time now?

It's my favourite JNH, and has been in the top 10 of my alltime favourite soundtracks since it came out.

image.png

I've seen the movie recently and found that there were terrific action cues and a really nice love theme so I've give this score a try and it turns out to be really good.

The highlights:

• Septimus is an absolutly terrific action cue which appears a lot more in the movie than in the OST with more variations to it. It's IMO the best highlights of the score
  • Three Witches track is quite anxieting and a really nice touch
  • Flying Vessel is a really vibrant cue of call to adventure
  • Pirate Fight is a really nice and fun orchestration of the Can Can
  • Really liked the title Coronation which is a great way to end the album although the title is followed by a less interesting epilogue.