What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Bear McCreary - The Rings of Power

I recently visited the Season 1 OST album, though my re-ordered version and not the release as-is.  I had kind of forgotten how much I enjoy this work!  There's SO many catchy, strong themes, and they way they develop and interplay throughout the OST album is nicely done.  It's a very well curated highlight package from a huge body of work.  Nicely done!

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

That was all I listened to, no need to delve into OST or bonus tracks for this listen.

I like this as the final track in the playlist:

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element (complete)

I've loved this score since I saw the movie (which I love), and have been listening to a fan edit made from the isolated score track of the DVD for a while now when I wanted to listen to the score.  The score in complete form has some parts that drag a bit, but also some fun highlights that aren't on the score album.  Overall, I consider this kind of a classic, and wish the specialty labels would give it a proper expansion (who knows what music was recorded that didn't end up in the final film?).  I wonder if any have pondered doing so and decided it wasn't profitable?

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element (complete)

I've loved this score since I saw the movie (which I love), and have been listening to a fan edit made from the isolated score track of the DVD for a while now when I wanted to listen to the score.  The score in complete form has some parts that drag a bit, but also some fun highlights that aren't on the score album.  Overall, I consider this kind of a classic, and wish the specialty labels would give it a proper expansion (who knows what music was recorded that didn't end up in the final film?).  I wonder if any have pondered doing so and decided it wasn't profitable?

Maybe some of the loops and samples used make it hard to relicense?

Alan Silvestri - The Abyss (Varese Deluxe)

Wow!  A score I had not revisited in some time.  The OST album was one of my earlier film score purchases, and I sure played the heck out of it back in the day.  The expansion was a HUGE welcome for me, I instantly loved it too; It was fascinating to see how many cues Silvestri had done as full orchestral ones with the love theme going through interesting variations in them, only for Cameron to replace those compositions with synth droning.  I guess it worked for the final film but boy is it great that Silvestri did those versions first and we get to hear them now!  In particular this time I was blown away by his original version of "The Only Way", what a great cue!  And there's so much action music here that Cameron didn't use either.  Fascinating stuff!

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Poltergeist_II_Intrada.jpg

I think this is an instance of a sequel score being much inferior to the original score.

It is, yes.  But it's still terrific as its own thing.  The original 30 minute Intrada was one of the first CDs I ever got, after owning the LP!  I really like the Native American motifs in this one, goofy as the film is, and as synthy as the cues are, they work for me.  The opening track The Power is pretty masterful by itself.  @GerateWohl mentioned the heavy use of reverb in 80s Goldsmith.  Check out the action music in It's No Use for how this can really somehow sell the urgency of the action.  I miss this kind of light on the feet, slightly nervous action writing.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall (Quartet)

This is one of those scores with not a wasted note.  

That's a bold claim.  There are a LOT of notes in this score.

I like Total Recall, but not as much as some do.  I think its business tends to get away from itself a little bit.  It can be exhausting, and I think had Jerry used the Dream motif from the opening credits more to hang some of the other notes on, it might feel like more of a solid foundation and less of a tapestry that could unravel.  It's complex, so I'm always hoping my next listen will be with more maturity and understanding.  But I have a tough time adoring this score.

32 minutes ago, Andy said:
3 hours ago, Jay said:

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall (Quartet)

This is one of those scores with not a wasted note.  

"Enough for a Bruckner symphony". But neither Bruckner nor Goldsmith wasted notes.

That said, it's only the second-best action score, behind the second Rambo score.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Alan Silvestri - The Abyss (Varese Deluxe)

Wow!  A score I had not revisited in some time.  The OST album was one of my earlier film score purchases, and I sure played the heck out of it back in the day.  The expansion was a HUGE welcome for me, I instantly loved it too; It was fascinating to see how many cues Silvestri had done as full orchestral ones with the love theme going through interesting variations in them, only for Cameron to replace those compositions with synth droning.  I guess it worked for the final film but boy is it great that Silvestri did those versions first and we get to hear them now!  In particular this time I was blown away by his original version of "The Only Way", what a great cue!  And there's so much action music here that Cameron didn't use either.  Fascinating stuff!

With the tracks for Lindsey's death and revival, I'm going to go with Cameron. But as stand alone tracks they are amazing to listen to.

Arrrrgh! WHEN do we get the 4K?!?

Mi0zNjEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Score is top three Waxman for me, despite the film being a stinker. Slow, introspective, modern, "shimmering" (in lack of a better word). Beautiful recording by Bernstein, at a very reasonable 38 minutes. I do, however, use the cover of the FSM release (with the original tracks) in my iTunes, as that is more exciting than this.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh great. It's all about you, isn't it?!

Hide contents

:lol:

Of course!

Listen to me and you'll live longer!

- Short-Bespin

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Taking about missed releases. I want that Elmer Bernstein FSM Box reissued. 

Wish I had afforded it at the time, but it was too expensive even then, to say nothing of how it would be today. So digital files will have to suffice for me.

21 hours ago, Andy said:

I like Total Recall, but not as much as some do.  I think its business tends to get away from itself a little bit.  It can be exhausting, and I think had Jerry used the Dream motif from the opening credits more to hang some of the other notes on, it might feel like more of a solid foundation and less of a tapestry that could unravel.  It's complex, so I'm always hoping my next listen will be with more maturity and understanding.  But I have a tough time adoring this score.

Yea, I shouldn't have used such hyperbolic wording.

I'll be honest, Total Recall is all about the action music.  I primarily love the score so much for its many exciting action cues that, to me, are Goldsmith's action writing at its best.  But what I was trying to say that while the old 40 minute OST album flowed great, the 77 minute Quartet expansion does too; I find all the moments between the big action tracks to have a nice drive that takes me to the next one.  This is different than The Abyss, whose 47 minute OST album flowed great but the new long expanded program isn't on the same level.  That's full of great music, of course, but when you get to the 10 minute Search The Montana followed by the 3 1/2 minute Jammer Freaks, it's not exactly compelling throughout.  But Total Recall's full expanded program is, to me!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'll be honest, Total Recall is all about the action music.  

Chuffin' 'eck, man!

Listen to THE MUTANT - one of the most staggeringly awesome pieces of music that Jerry has ever composed - and then tell me that it's "all about the action music".

13 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Chuffin' 'eck, man!

Listen to THE MUTANT - one of the most staggeringly awesome pieces of music that Jerry has ever composed - and then tell me that it's "all about the action music".

I interpreted it as:

"Total Recall, is more about the action music, to me"

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am certain that if we went from just the OST album until this remastering, and it was released on its own, it'd be a huge seller and bigger conversation generator.  I love it!

Well, in that case The Hunt alone would have been worth the price for the whole set. It's still a great box and very much worth it, even though I mostly only listen to the two Goldsmith scores.

49 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, in that case The Hunt alone would have been worth the price for the whole set. It's still a great box and very much worth it, even though I mostly only listen to the two Goldsmith scores.

So, you basically ignore the best of the 5?

;)

Currently on holiday in Crete and in the mood for some Greek-themed scores.

Troy (Horner) --- my own playlist

Troy (Yared)

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Clash of the Titans

Wonder Woman 1984

Jason and the Argonauts

Agora

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Currently on holiday in Crete and im the mood for some Greek-themed scores.

Don't listen to film music. Go out and enjoy the scenery, with a glass of wine! :)

I'm envious; haven't been on a proper out-of-country holiday since 2015.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Don't listen to film music. Go out and enjoy the scenery, with a glass of wine! :)

I'm envious; haven't been on a proper out-of-country holiday since 2015.

Or I definitely am. Music just accompanies me during long coach trips or when I need some "alone time" (helps my autistic brain absorb scenery). And as I wind down in the evening. 😀

Karol

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Currently on holiday in Crete and im the mood for some Greek-themed scores.

Oh, you are here? Have a great time. I have never been to Crete.

Zorba the Greek of course. And it takes place at Crete too. ;)

lionheart-deluxe-edition.jpg

Well, not among my favorite Goldsmith scores and I still can't understand why it warrants for a re-recording, since this release is perfectly fine.

Now, the other day I listened to Jarre's Jesus of Nazareth!

THAT one needs definitely a re-recording, since the master tapes have been lost from what I can gather? (since a slightly "expanded" release contains some cues with dialogue and sound FX)

13 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Going on a cruise so some music to get myself in the mood during the flight…

IMG_4582.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4579.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

Man, I love the Speed 2 score.

The wife and I actually watched the first Speed last weekend and I had forgotten how much I like that score too.  Last night we started watching Speed 2 and twice my wife commented on the score in the movie (something that hardly ever happens), but times saying "this music is so stupid!"

On 18/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, Jay said:

Man, I love the Speed 2 score.

The wife and I actually watched the first Speed last weekend and I had forgotten how much I like that score too.  Last night we started watching Speed 2 and twice my wife commented on the score in the movie (something that hardly ever happens), but times saying "this music is so stupid!"

Ouch.  When the Mrs. takes a shot at a score you love.

R-2239866-1338367013-9881.jpg

I'm having fun on a Brian May kick, listening to things other than his Mad Max films.  For me, he's one of those journeyman composers who gets the job done.  I wouldn't say he's sensational, but he does have some techniques and sounds that are appealing.  Patrick happens to be one of those small ensemble horror scores with a lot of reverb to make it sound "scarier", but also a nice dated 70s love theme as well.