What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

For it's different takes on "Hook", "Born on The Fourth of July" and it's excellent suite from "The Rare Breed", etc, etc.

And because it was John William's 92th birthday yesterday of course!

20240209_142639.jpg

And this one of course, Happy Birthday John Williams! :lol:

image.jpeg

ab67616d0000b27321bcfda2057bef8585a47ad1

It's been many years since I played this classic. Warm nostalgia as Grusin nurtures sitcom stylings, combined with contemporary pop elements and his usual jazz/blues. Underrated production values (love those basslines and tinkering synths).

1200x1200bb.jpg

After the "tease" on the superb Ghent/WSA compilation, I decided to give the full album a go again, after many years. It's still a great score; I prefer the slow and chromatic stuff over the jubilant orchestral fanfares, but that's just my taste these days. By the way, Maximilian Schell really reminds me of Kenneth Branagh in this photo.

Germinal_8391932.jpg

I haven't seen this film, though I want to, because the score is masterful.

Strings heavy with a great opening theme.

I see at this site that the composer has only one credit:

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/composerdiscography.php?composerid=1029

Weird!

MS02NjY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

So rare now, I can't even find a proper-sized cover online. But anyways, this score has been with me since my early film music days (early 90s) -- it remains my favourite Yared, I think. Also displays his underrated skill as an electronic composer, with beautiful, chilly textures. Kinda Vangelis in places.

WINGS OF COURAGE is fine, but not in my top 10 Yared, I think. To be honest, I feel pretty sure you won't like MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART. Too electronic and textural, if I know your taste right.

ab67616d0000b2730996748275197d5feabbb63e

A lot of people will probably find this 2008 effort too "samey", but I can stay in Debney's slow, moody, middle eastern landscapes forever, whether it's this, PASSION OF THE CHRIST, THE YOUNG MESSIAH or anything else.

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Really? I should listen to it then.

In the meantime, I listened to another Yared masterpiece:

Wings_of_courage_SK68350.jpg

Gosh I remember watching Wings of Courage in the Imax cinema at Futuroscope (near Poitiers in France) when I went for a “day trip” with my mother during the summer holidays after I finished school. This was before the days when “proper” movies were made in imax.

Poitiers turned out to be a whole lot further from where we were based near St Malo than we realised so we ended up staying the night. My A level results were announced the next day and I got them from my dad who I called from a pay phone by the Loire on our drive back. As you do. I got the grades for my first choice uni where I met Mr Southall.

I don’t actually remember anything about Yared’s score. But hey. Have a semi related anecdote  

ab67616d0000b273a4dc36d3e9c8b20b728499bc

Great 1967 score by Schifrin that is mostly romantic, suave, and pastoral (love those woodwinds!). Very "longhair". It's directed by Mark Rydell, btw, who's still around at 94. Wouldn't one final Williams/Rydell collaboration be something, eh? Eh?

5 hours ago, Thor said:

it remains my favourite Yared

How do you like CAMILLE CLAUDEL? That’s his favorite of his scores.

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

Great score. THAT's a top 10 candidate.

600x600bf-60.jpg

Young was never very complex, but extremely colourful. Great restoration work by John Morgan for this fine album.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

To be honest, I feel pretty sure you won't like MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART. Too electronic and textural, if I know your taste right.

you're right. I didn't like it very much.

By the way, Camile Claudel is one of my favorites too. The love theme is sublime and I think it has Mahlerian influences.

14 hours ago, JTW said:

Has he mentioned it in an interview? I didn't know...

57 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Has he mentioned it in an interview?

Yes, in my interview with him. If I remember correctly, he had been listening to a lot of Mahler before he started composing CC, and it had a great influence on his writing. But I’ll check our conversation later and quote him. 

IMG_0109.webp

I’ve been obsessed with this score for more than a week now, listening to it over and over again, can’t seem to get bored of it. It’s Jerry’s late masterpiece, one of the greatest scores of all time. 

Still my alltime favourite Jerry, that one.

NDYtOTcwNy5naWY.jpeg

Holdridge was such a force to be reckoned with (he's not dead, but he seems off the grid these days) - always with these big, orchestral forces doing trad stuff with oodles of energy and colour. Not really a sound I gravitate towards anymore, but I did at one point. And this is old enough (1983) to ignite some of those old passions. Strong score, with - predictably - superb performance from the LSO.

1 hour ago, JTW said:

IMG_0109.webp

I’ve been obsessed with this score for more than a week now, listening to it over and over again, can’t seem to get bored of it. It’s Jerry’s late masterpiece, one of the greatest scores of all time. 

Man. I hear this from so many people. Maybe I need to try and get into this. It's not like I don't love Jerry.

You definitely should. Scores don’t get much grander than that. Amazing themes, rich orchestrations, classic romanticism, thrilling action writing, it’s got it all.

39 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Man. I hear this from so many people. Maybe I need to try and get into this. It's not like I don't love Jerry.

It's got all the action and excitement a theme-packed late 90s action adventure can muster. Add the sublime elegance of The Caravan and the crazy metre changes and head-banging syncopation of My Favourite Plague (2:18-end) as cornerstones, and you get one of the best scores of its kind:

But Goldsmith's last masterpiece remains Hollow Man.

Somewhat begrudgingly, as it seems there won't be a proper extended version announced of The Phantom Menace to mark its 25th anniversary... let's listen to this peculiar disc, which should be taken somewhat like an "Isolated score," but on CD. In the absence of bread, one resorts to cake, as my grandmother would say!

image.jpeg

ab67616d0000b273627192c6a751a73dda3218b8

Great and under-appreciated Donaggio score from 1987, mostly lithurgical (nice, but small choir employed), with a little bit of weirdness here and there. The cover could use some work, though. Terrible borders.

I really love this score!

Main theme is fantastic and the action cues always bring me a lot of joy!

Smaller cues like Robicheaux Reunion, A Bear In People's Clothes or The Deserter are beautiful.

Final cue Seven Riders is so cool how Horner theme is played with the rhythm of Bernstein's theme.

I feel it's all glorious stuff.

1708024182731.jpg

OS03NjYxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Somehow, I didn't care for this in the 90s. Don't understand why, maybe because it wasn't action-heavy enough for my restless youth spirit. It's adorable.

I listened to Memoirs of a Geisha for the first time 3 days ago and it's been running through my head non-stop. What a fantastic main theme. My favourite track is the End Credits - I love the accompanying minimalistic textures and how Johnny plays around with the rhythm of the melody and the underlying harmony.

600x600bf-60.jpg

Dominik Scherrer, who has delivered one of 2024's most interesting scores so far in BOAT STORY (and who previously impressed me with his score for MISS MARPLE) really blasted on to the scene with this excellent 2007 score, fusing electronics, orchestra and voices. 

NzgtODk1MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Such a beautiful score. Primarily synths, true, and sometimes synths mimicking acoustic ensembles (which is usually a no-no), but somehow I like this. Only 22 minutes, though, which is too little.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Such a beautiful score. Primarily synths, true, and sometimes synths mimicking acoustic ensembles (which is usually a no-no), but somehow I like this. Only 22 minutes, though, which is too little.

A religious soundtrack you hadn't suggested to me? :lol:

I should listen to it then, although I'm a bit allergic to synths.

Seven_9911.jpg

As I remembered, it didn't "say" anything to me at all.

On the other hand, I find the Silence of the Lambs a masterpiece!

12 hours ago, filmmusic said:

A religious soundtrack you hadn't suggested to me? :lol:

I should listen to it then, although I'm a bit allergic to synths.

Yeah, it's because of the sound and the instrument choices I didn't recommend it to you. I don't think you'll like it.

Found a track from this in a YouTube playlist and listened to a chunk during a couple of drives yesterday. It's music that has craft and talent in it; the sort of thing that makes me not give a damn if Derrick isn't using some fancy, clever chords or musical devices - it's absolutely beautiful; very reflective for a countryside journey.

I've alread got Soule's scores for Oblivion and Skyrim and will certainly be looking to check out anything else from this series.

ab67616d0000b273666a507d1041974dd6bd1f26

I love The Haunting; it fits the setting like a glove and highlights Goldsmith's knack at capturing an atmosphere. Never struck me as a score that needed deluxifying yet here it is and it's a great hour or so of spooky, psychological music.

I love the main theme from The Haunting (not the circus one), but the rest of the score never did much for me. The theme and overall atmosphere are good enough to give it a spin every once in a while though.

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

James Horner - The Spitfire Grill

The Spitfire Grill.jpg

Pretty and delicate, though a little... how do I say... unsubstantial? Paradoxically, I like how this score avoids overt melodrama and instead is just content in being small and intimate. It reminded me a bit of Bernstein's To Kill a Mockingbird. A nice companion for other Horner "drama-but-not-that-melodramatic" scores like Dad.

How good is "The Trees"? I love James' twinkly piano and synth textures. And those beautiful horn solos.

I love practically all of Horner's scores like THE SPITFIRE GRILL. In fact, that's the type of Horner I gravitate towards these days over the big and rambunctious orchestral thingies.

R-2138977-1266115724_jpeg_grande.jpg?v=1

One of my favourite Artemiev scores. Ethnic-flavoured New Age moods before it was fashion in film music (1991), very skillfully done. 

This is such a beautiful album!

Wonderful arrangements and the performances by the orchestra and the great Itzhak Perlman are fantastic.

I really feel there's no one like Perlman and that he's one of the best violinists there have ever been.

Screenshot_20240220_212919_Gallery.jpg

Yes, brilliant.

It's been a while since I heard it and I just put it on without much thought and then the 3rd cue (Papa, Can You Hear Me) had me crying.

Far And Away was a total thrillride

The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg was again gorgeous. Just as Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse and Black Orpheus.

And Schindler's List & Cinema Paradiso never fail to make me cry.

So yeah, it was quite the rollercoaster, but so much beauty.

I think I'll do the second album somewhere this week