What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

(you know, the Sibelius lift)

Sibelius?

Yeah, the violin concerto.

Which movement?

OK now I have to listen to the whole concert. It is just that awesome! This time I'll pick the first version from 1903-04.

John Williams did!

Well obviously. While leafing through the violin concerto score I am sure.

Sure, shrug it off as coincidence! If this were Zimmer the board would be marching on RCP with pitchforks in hand.

Naturally. This is not HansZimmerFan.com. Hansu is the fall guy of this place.

4:54

"This video is not available". Can you give me a Potter timestamp just so I'm sure what we're talking about? Then I can cross reference with the Sibelius myself.

So that would make it the second time that Williams lifts something from the Sibelius concerto. Or are there even more instances?

The Martian.

I appear to be following HGW on Spotify, so it popped up as a new release notification.

And I'm liking! It seems to work more as an electronic concept album than a score, as every track has a unique character, and definitely isn't scored in a shot-specific manner.

The Martian.

I appear to be following HGW on Spotify, so it popped up as a new release notification.

And I'm liking! It seems to work more as an electronic concept album than a score, as every track has a unique character, and definitely isn't scored in a shot-specific manner.

My impression of it in the film was that it was sort of anonymous, but yes, on album it's growing on me.

4:54

"This video is not available". Can you give me a Potter timestamp just so I'm sure what we're talking about? Then I can cross reference with the Sibelius myself.

So that would make it the second time that Williams lifts something from the Sibelius concerto. Or are there even more instances?

The theme that makes up the bulk of this cue.

What's the other instance you mention? This is the only one I know about.

JOHN BARRY et al: Playing by Heart

Perhaps the best late entry by John Barry, 'Playing by Heart' came at the tale-end of his career and obviously was the result of a love affair between director Willard Carroll with Barry's more sultry jazz scores form the sixties. The movie is one of those precious ensemble dramedys trying to be a patch on 'Short Cuts' - programmed fail (with a roster of characters dying left and right from Aids and brain tumors this is much closer to three episodes of 'As the World Turns' cut together).

The proverbial icing on the cake, Barry's idiosyncratic plushy jazz (Chris Botti's lush trumpet solos are a thing to behold) and languid-sweet string pieces embalm the movie with an air akin to a freshly opened Pernod-Ricard bottle. This of course was deemed too classy by the infamous Miramax brass and subsequently rejected in favour of some nondescript west coast jazz pieces by Chis Young. When Barry's score enters the picture in some key scenes you start to wonder if you accidentally switched channels.

Be that as it may, Decca saw the collaboration with Botti thankfully as big enough reason to release a concept album with several Chet Baker numbers included along the way. Barry effortlessly glides from expensive bar jazz - think of bluesy, longlined minor-mode big city laments accompanied by a 100 velvety strings - to minimalist romantic writing, both infusing each other delightfully and revives Barry's natural instincts for screen and melody that by that time mostly vegetated away in horrible costume dramas like Demi Moore's wretched 'Scarlett Letter'.

Now easy to obtain from Decca's back catalogue it's compulsory for any Bond and lounge jazz lover.

Stanley & Iris by John Williams: A gentle lyrical Saturday morning chamber concerto. :)

I am only one that doesn't hear the similarities in those examples?

The similarity between the Potter cue and the Sibelius piece is there, TGP's timestamp was just a little early.

Since I'm totally musically illiterate, I can't really comment on compositional similiraties. But the mood of the pieces is vastly, vastly different. I find it hard to believe this was on JW's mind when writing the Potter cue

Both examples are a bit precious. There are bound to be similarities like this in these swung melodic arches. The Potter stuff is just cutesy Disney in style - though of course expertly executed.

Oh I'm not actually saying Williams heard it and decided to lift it, just being precocious. In fact, if the other variant of that theme from the score was written first, then it's clearly derived from that rather than the Sibelius.

The phrasing must be different but the shape of the tune somehow.

Anyway, there are delightful melodic cues in this but also a sometimes distracting familiarity and über-dense action writing. The general style probably could've used a bit more englishness given the source material. I still find it odd to have this heavy Tchaikovsky/Prokoviev-vibe over scenes of british alleys and Tom Brown schoolrooms. Though maybe this is just the price of globalization.

What do you think of the Gryffindor hymn? I always thought it recalled some classical piece.

Are you talking about "Hogwarts Forever"?

I like that one...sort of recalls Grainger's folksong arrangements

I hate to interrupt this Harry Potter discussion. I realize it's in season, but then so is the last score I listened to. The greatest one ever made.

412_SXHRSNVL.jpg

Currently listening to Star Trek: First Contact

I found the Sibelius "reference" in HP a bit far-fetched.

And yes, Hogwarts Forever definitely has a Grainger streak to it.

While we're at it, you can hear Cinque's theme in The Secret of Monkey Island soundtrack

Was that only in the redone version or should we assume that Spielberg temp-tracked Amistad with the Secret of Monkey Island score?

While we're at it, you can hear Cinque's theme in The Secret of Monkey Island soundtrack

Was that only in the redone version or should we assume that Spielberg temp-tracked Amistad with the Secret of Monkey Island score?

It's in the original too :)

But it's such a simple progression, it's the sort of thing that is bound to happen

JOHN POWELL: Pan

The autumn season as usual leads us into the third yearly wave of expensive clunkers that has witless executives praying for first weekend bonanzas so that the damn things getting fast out of Def Con 4 flop zone. PAN, judging by the trailers and now John Powell's desperately-exuberant score, is another ADHS effects spectacle for people that like their stuff loud and familiar (god forbid a minute that goes by without at least 20,000 things colourfully exploding left and right, J. M. Barry be damned).

Given the circumstances, Powell struggles manfully through a series of what appears to be one showstopper beating the hell out of the one that came 5 minutes before. This dramatic misconception has immediate effects on the musical design of PAN...a blame that would be unfairly shouldered on Powell's compositional chops alone, though his lack of restraint, or his inability to just fucking quiet down, to put it a more bluntly, certainly adds to the misery.

The best of the score naturally comes exactly when the composer isn't called upon badgering you into oblivion with incessant orchestral onslaughts that sometimes go on for 8 minutes straight - chief offender being stuff like FLYING SHIP FIGHT - but is able to add little flavours seldom found in Powell's more plain animation fare.

Consider i. e. 'Opening Overture', 'Air Raid / Office Raid', 'Crocodiles and Mermaids' and 'Murmurs of Love and Death' the antidotes with droll instrumental solos, sweet choral interludes and introspective plucked strings that give you at least some respite and are nice to listen to in an undemanding way.

Thematically the score never strays far from Powell's magnum opuses in this genre (the two DRAGONS) and the main theme borders on Hornerian impertinence in its similarity but who's for complainin'... It's a fair score and catchy as usual. But it kind of makes you wonder if the composer shouldn't look for further employment elsewhere beyond the frisky fringes of Dreamworks animation type stuff. The ability he has in spades.

I'm a user of Songza and recently complaining to them that their film score playlists are totally awefull and unlisteneable.

So I made my own, based on the AFI list of the greatest film scores of all time.

#ArtistTitleTrackAlbumYearGenreLengthBitrateCodec
01J. Barry, A. Dubeau, La PietàTwo Socks (From "Dances with Wolves", 1990) (The Wolf Theme) (The John Dunbar Theme)03A Time for Us2012Musique de film03:07257MPEG 1 Layer III
02H. Shore, A. Dubeau, La PietàConcerning Hobbits (From "Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings", 2001)05A Time For Us2012Musique De Film02:33261MPEG 1 Layer III
03E. W. Korngold, A. Dubeau, La PietàMarian And Robin (From "The Adventures Of Robin Hood", 1938)13A Time For Us2012Musique De Film04:09257MPEG 1 Layer III
04C. Chaplin, A. Dubeau, La PietàSmile (From "Modern Times", 1936)15A Time For Us2012Musique De Film03:34258MPEG 1 Layer III
05E. Morricone, A. Dubeau, La PietàThe Mission (From "The Mission")20A Time For Us2012Musique De Film04:06257MPEG 1 Layer III
06River City Brass BandSuite From "The Natural"05All American2001Musique De Film03:40258MPEG 1 Layer III
07James HornerEnd Titles (From Apollo 13)23Apollo 13Musique De Film06:59256MPEG 1 Layer III
08J. Williams, Boston Pops O, WilliamsMarch From Raiders Of The Lost Ark03Best Of/20th Century2009Musique De Film05:31258MPEG 1 Layer III
09J. Williams, Boston Pops O, WilliamsFlying Theme [Flying Theme From "E.T."]10Best Of/20th Century2009Musique De Film03:48258MPEG 1 Layer III
10M. Steiner, Boston Pops O, WilliamsGone With The Wind: Tara Theme06Boston Pops: Aisle Seat – Great Fim Music1982Musique De Film04:41257MPEG 1 Layer III
11J. Williams, Boston Pops O, Williams15 Main Theme From 'star Wars'Boston Pops: By Request – The Best Of John Williams And The Boston Pops1987Musique De Film05:36258MPEG 1 Layer III
12J. Williams, Boston Pops O, Williams02 'the Cowboys' OvertureBoston Pops: By Request – The Best Of John Williams And The Boston Pops1987Musique De Film08:59259MPEG 1 Layer III
13James HornerMain Title (From Braveheart)01Braveheart (Soundtrack)Musique De Film02:50256MPEG 1 Layer III
14H. Hupfeld, I. Perlman, Bpo, J. WilliamsCasablanca07Cinema Serenade 2: The Golden Age1999Musique De Film04:21258MPEG 1 Layer III
15The City Of Prague Philharmonic OrchestraOverture (From "Much Ado About Nothing") [Feat. Kenneth Alwyn]02Cinema's Classic Romances2009Musique De Film03:47259MPEG 1 Layer III
16The City Of Prague Philharmonic OrchestraCathy's Theme (From "Wuthering Heights") [Feat. Kenneth Alwyn]05Cinema's Classic Romances2009Musique De Film02:56257MPEG 1 Layer III
17Charles Gerhardt & National Philharmonic OrchestraBlindness (Judith's Theme) / Winter / Resignation (From "Dark Victory")02Classic Film Scores: Bette Davis1973Musique De Film06:23257MPEG 1 Layer III
18Charles Gerhardt & National Philharmonic OrchestraThe Treasure Of The Sierra Madre03Classic Film Scores: Casablanca1974Musique De Film07:46259MPEG 1 Layer III
19Charles Gerhardt & National Philharmonic OrchestraKings Row; Main Title (From "Kings Row")05Classic Film Scores: The Sea Hawk1972Musique De Film01:40258MPEG 1 Layer III
20John WilliamsPlatform 9 And 3 Quarters And The Journey To Hogwarts06Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone2001Musique De Film03:14260MPEG 1 Layer III
21John WilliamsThe Shark Cage Fugue04Jaws1976Musique De Film01:59192MPEG 1 Layer III
22John WilliamsThe Great Shark Chase15Jaws1976Musique de film03:28192MPEG 1 Layer III
23James Depreist & Oregon SymphonyThe Sea Hawk: Main Title - Reunion - Finale01Korngold: The Sea Hawk, Symphony In F-Sharp1998Musique De Film08:03258MPEG 1 Layer III
24B. Conti, Cincinnati Pops O, E. KunzelMusic From 'the Right Stuff'14Kunbzel: Star Tracks IiMusique De Film04:44259MPEG 1 Layer III
25J. Barry, Cincinnati Pops O, KunzelThemes From Dances With Wolves15Kunzel: Hollywood's Greatest Hits, Volume Ii1993Musique De Film06:21257MPEG 1 Layer III
26A. Copland, Bpo, WilliamsThe Red Pony SuiteMusic For Stage And ScreenMusique De Film25:04256MPEG 1 Layer III
27Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelThe Magnificent Seven03Round-Up1986Musique De Film05:35261MPEG 1 Layer III
28Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelBig Country12Round-Up1986Musique De Film03:06258MPEG 1 Layer III
29John WilliamsPrincess Leia's Theme14Star Wars Trilogy [Disc 1]1993Musique De Film04:26256MPEG 1 Layer III
30Elmer Bernstein And His OrchestraEllen Leaves25The Age Of Innocence (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)1993Musique De Film02:38256MPEG 1 Layer III
31New Philharmonia OrchestraMusic For Movies: Barley Wagons From "Of Mice And Men"06The Copland Collection1991Musique De Film02:34256MPEG 1 Layer III
32London Symphony OrchestraStar Trek: The Motion Picture01The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith2001Musique De Film04:13259MPEG 1 Layer III
33J. Barry, London So, WilliamsOut Of Africa: Main Title03The Hollywood Sound1997Musique De Film03:50258MPEG 1 Layer III
34E. W. Korngold, London So, WilliamsThe Adventures Of Robin Hood: Robin Hood And His Merry Men06The Hollywood Sound1997Musique De Film04:31260MPEG 1 Layer III
35The City Of Prague Philharmonic OrchestraFor The Love Of A Princess (From "Braveheart")12The Music Of James Horner2011-07-26t07:00:00zMusique De Film04:15320MPEG 1 Layer III
36Kirill Karabits, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra & Nicola BenedettiSchindler's List: Main Theme From "Schindler's List"01The Silver Violin2013Musique De Film03:51258MPEG 1 Layer III
37J. Williams, Boston Pops O, WilliamsE.T.-Adventures On Earth03The Spielberg / Williams Collaboration1982Musique De Film09:48258MPEG 1 Layer III
38Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelTheme From The Pink Panther04The Ultimate Movie Music Collection2005Musique De Film02:33266MPEG 1 Layer III
39James HornerRose (From Titanic)04Titanic - James Horner [1997]Musique De Film02:52256MPEG 1 Layer III
40James Horner"Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch" (From Titanic)06Titanic - James Horner [1997]1997Musique De Film04:31256MPEG 1 Layer III
41Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelGenerals March For Orchestra: Macarthur March - Patton Theme14Victory At Sea - War And Remembrance, Casablanca And Other Favorites1989Musique De Film04:51262MPEG 1 Layer III
42Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelMain Title And Entrance Of Kong From King Kong01Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film03:07261MPEG 1 Layer III
43Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelSuite From Spellbound03Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film07:20258MPEG 1 Layer III
44Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelSuite From Sunset Boulevard05Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film04:40260MPEG 1 Layer III
45Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelSuite From A Streetcar Names Desire06Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film06:08259MPEG 1 Layer III
46Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelSuite From A Place In The Sun07Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film05:01258MPEG 1 Layer III
47Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelSelections From On The Waterfront08Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film05:00259MPEG 1 Layer III
48Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelOverture From North By Northwest09Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film02:41266MPEG 1 Layer III
49Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelOverture From El Cid10Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film03:25262MPEG 1 Layer III
50Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelMain Title From To Kill A Mockingbird11Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film03:05258MPEG 1 Layer III
51Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich KunzelThe Ride Of The Cossacks From Taras Bulba12Vintage Cinema2008Musique De Film04:59260MPEG 1 Layer III
52J. Williams, Skywalker So, WilliamsThrone Room And Finale From Star Wars13Williams: The Music Of America - John Williams [Disc 3]2010Musique De Film07:57258MPEG 1 Layer III
#ArtistTitleTrackAlbumYearGenreLengthBitrateCodec

NOTE: I also wanted to add these cues, but I currently don't own them.

Miklos Rozsa - Ben-Hur Suite
Cincinnati Pops
Erich Kunzel, conductor
Telarc 80631

Virgil Thomson - Louisiana Story: Suite
New London Orchestra
Ronald Corp, conductor
Hyperion 66576

Cyril Mockridge - Miracle on 34th Street: Suite
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
David Newman, conductor
Telarc 88801

Stephen Warbeck - Shakespeare in Love: Greenwich
Studio Ensemble
Sony 63387

That horn trill at the end of "The Cowboys" overture is incredible!

It is! It really is!

Any recommendations to broaden my familiarity with John Powell beyond the dragons and a handful of superhero things I already know? His output isn't that large to begin with I figure, but is there anything that seems particularly up my alley?

Well Chicken Run is good fun (co-written with Harry Gregson-Williams) in the vein of his HTTYD scores, melodically exuberant and has those kazoos!

Any recommendations to broaden my familiarity with John Powell beyond the dragons and a handful of superhero things I already know? His output isn't that large to begin with I figure, but is there anything that seems particularly up my alley?

Hmmm....i honestly never connected your precious musical tastes with someone as surface-bubbly as Powell. Apart from the ADHS kiddie stuff i think one should enjoy FACE/OFF, PAYCHECK (great little score) and the three BOURNE's (which you probably know).

Given your love of more static textures i guess UNITED 93, too.

CE3K, in the car over two days (it must be five years since I played the album). I'm convinced the arrangement of When You Wish Upon a Star which underscores Roy's farewell was written by God himself. Played loud, the feelings of elation, reckoning and ethereal completion are absolute, and if it wasn't for my being buckled into my seat I'd have probably ascended to heaven through the sunroof on my way into work this morning.

Williams adapting someone else's song in his score is the most Williamsy moment of his career? I tastefully disagree. Great it is but not the most Williamsy.