What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

4 hours ago, KK said:

Nonsense. While they are lesser works overall, they still boast some fine damn music.

Besides, why would anyone want to forget this?

or 

@Nick Parker offered unusually kind sympathetic words in regards to my long-running indifference to non-Powell Star Wars music, of which has baffled even me. Encouraged by his reassurance that it, in apparent fact, it does not imply I'm a terrible person of poor taste, I'll try some tonight. I think I'll play some....Phantom Menace! 

Afterwards, probably more significantly, I'll listen to A.I for the first time. 

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Afterwards, probably more significantly, I'll listening to A.I for the first time. 

Excited to hear your thoughts on it! An album I loved to listen to late at night back in high school...puts you in a mood for sure!

Rest assured, I've liked bits of SW here and there. I like Rey's theme, the Cantina Band stuff (I want a whole album of that!), the Ewok Celebration, among other little bits and cues. So the idea of me enjoying this isn't entirely out of the question.

I'm...actually really enjoying Phantom Menace! Lots of highlights to chew on here! The Flag Parade's awesome! Jar Jar's music is sickeningly up my alley. The action music has some splendid energy!

I'm not feeling any kind of narrative structure or any sense that the music's building up to anything, since of course the film in question had no story (that I can recall). It's just the sound of Williams having fun with whatever shit he's being handed and giving the LSO a good workout, and I can go along with that. And what a terrific recording! Putting Duel at the Fates at the album's beginning is a bizarre choice though. Since it's at the final battle and all, why not stick it near the end? Ah well, you do you, mister Williams. What the hey. 

I'm confused as to why I'm enjoying this one though. Every cue's holding my attention. I can't say that whenever I tried to listen to Empire Strikes Back. 

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm not feeling any kind of narrative structure or any sense that the music's building up to anything, since of course the film in question had no story

Or because JW shuffled it all around without giving it an arc like AotC's album. 

Glad you like it, the complete score is full of even more highlights. I'd link some, but Manakin's channel has just been taken down.

Was there even an opportunity for an arc to begin with though?

Ah well. That was fun anyhow, moreso than I had figured it would be! I think I'll give Return of the Jedi's ost a listen sometime. For now, I'll end the night with some A.I, aye? 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams: Such a terrific score with lovely faux-Medieval and British character. While the OST presents quite a few of the major setpieces it always makes me want to hear all those smaller and bigger unreleased moments left off the disc. Hopefully some specialty label does justice to this music and releases the complete score, sooner rather than later.

Lincoln (OST+FYC album edit) by John Williams: There is a marked difference in the way the music is presented in the film and on disc for this score. Williams is a very consummate album producer who is always very conscious of how he wants to present his music on disc which in this case is a far more engaging listening experience than the subdued version of the music heard in the film. The combination of the OST and the FYC album tracks is still my go-to version of this gorgeous music arranged in a approximate film order and provides an even more satisfying listening experience as even the shorter cues from the score are so well-rounded and thought-out.

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The score to the first installment was without a doubt the best, and perfectly condensed on the 30 minute OST. The sequels, both films and scores, are best forgotten.

:huh::eh::blink:

Karol

12 hours ago, KK said:

Nonsense. While they are lesser works overall, they still boast some fine damn music.

Besides, why would anyone want to forget this?

Sorry mate, that's basically a frenetic rehast of material better presented in the first installment. :)

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

While it might have been Cuaron who demanded a different approach, Williams must have been very happy to oblige since he usually prefers to write something new rather than purely revisit the old with the sequels. Still he manages to retain the same HP world feel throughout even without constant quotes of the older material.  And again in this case the end result is brilliant.

Oh yea, I'm positive it was Cuaron's desire to have the score being almost entirely original no doubt.  And yea, Williams executed the plan perfectly.

It's a good one that goes through SO MANY interesting variations in the first half of the score.

I remember when I realized one day it disppears in the second half of the film until the end credits (other than the disguised cameo in the Quidditch match) and went "huh.  How about that"

It's idiomatically removed from the fairy dust vibe á la russe of the first two and probably closer to a twisted english folk song, which is nice. I will see this live in London next wednesday! (apart from the werewolf stuff i always found nauseating)

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8

Wow.  I've grown to like this score A LOT on repeated listens since it came out.  I saw the film and it's utter garbage, and the score kind of comes off as yet another weak way they are trying to ape Soderbergh's style for the limp movie.  But the score album on its own away from the film is a fun an exciting album with lots of personality.  I dig it a lot!

John Williams - Dracula

I love that Williams wrote this score since he doesn't do this style that often really.  It's too bad he only has one main theme instead of a handful of themes bouncing around like usual (especially for the era), but the theme is good so it's already.  That Night Journeys track is an all time great.

John Paesano - Spider-man

I was hearing good things about this, but was left COMPLETELY unimpressed.  Didn't even finish the (long) album on Spotify.

Joe Kraemer - Comrade Detective

This OST is out on Spotify now too.  It's fun!

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's idiomatically removed from the fairy dust vibe á la russe of the first two and probably closer to a twisted english folk song, which is nice. I will see this live in London next wednesday! (apart from the werewolf stuff i always found nauseating)

It's very entertaining live. The Patronus stuff is especially spectacular.

Paul Haslinger - Halt and Catch Fire

The producers clearly wanted a Tangerine Dream style score, so Haslinger was a logical choice, providing exactly that.

That throwback synth sound is a pleasant listen, good background music while working on other things.

lOMmSJCQQUbpk5WlTdSSBf6_mYYdreLbDZBi33sm

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - Dracula

I love that Williams wrote this score since he doesn't do this style that often really.  It's too bad he only has one main theme instead of a handful of themes bouncing around like usual (especially for the era), but the theme is good so it's already.  That Night Journeys track is an all time great.

To Scarborough is one my all time favorite JW tracks. And there's a theme for the Vampire hunters that is not heard in the original album, I am right?

Yea there's a minor motif for Van Helsing, heard like when they start digging the grave and one or 2 other spots.  But it's really minor

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - Dracula

There's a suitably downbeat, yet tender trumpet melody, in FOR MINA, but, yes, it is odd that there's no theme for Harker, or Renfield, or Van Helsing. Maybe it's what Badham wanted. Then again, he wanted to shoot it in black and white...

I'm glad he didn't, as Gil Taylor's photography rocks.

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8

Wow.  I've grown to like this score A LOT on repeated listens since it came out.  I saw the film and it's utter garbage, and the score kind of comes off as yet another weak way they are trying to ape Soderbergh's style for the limp movie.  But the score album on its own away from the film is a fun an exciting album with lots of personality.  I dig it a lot!

I really like his Steve Jobs score 

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

An absolute action classic!  Love the Quartet release so much!  I just listen to Disc 1, it's all I need.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom

After seeing the film, I like the score more than I already did.  The score IN the film is actually pretty wonky, with themes randomly representing different things than they did before but damn, it's a good album.  I heard some neat stuff in the film that wasn't on the OST though, and I want it!

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom

After seeing the film, I like the score more than I already did.  The score IN the film is actually pretty wonky, with themes randomly representing different things than they did before but damn, it's a good album.  I heard some neat stuff in the film that wasn't on the OST though, and I want it!

His placement of themes is often a bit... unconventional. His use of JW's themes in the first JW film was... bizarre and some of the stuff in Rogue One was... yeah...

I enjoy both Jurassic World films more on album than in the films I think. 

Return of the Jedi (Polydor OST)

Parade of the Ewoks ❤️ 

Also, the Fallen Kingdom OST is better than everything. The label "better than everything" seems to be used a lot around here, so what the hey, I'll go along with it. As an OST presentation, it's even better than JP/TLW's. Has all the highlights and some minor cues thrown in as some nice breathing room.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Seven Years in Tibet.

Great suite, nice cello solos. Other than that I had a hard time getting the volume to work when I listened to this, so it wasn't too great.

52 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Return of the Jedi (Polydor OST)

Parade of the Ewoks ❤️ 

Also, the Fallen Kingdom OST is better than everything. The label "better than everything" seems to be used a lot around here, so what the hey, I'll go along with it. As an OST presentation, it's even better than JP/TLW's. Has all the highlights and some minor cues thrown in as some nice breathing room.

I cannot stop talking about Fallen Kingdom!

Return of the Jedi is great too.

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I cannot stop talking about Fallen Kingdom!

Return of the Jedi is great too.

I've managed to overcome the kick recently, finally.....it'll probably come back though. The FK theme still plays in my mind here and there.

Return of the Jedi was okay. Some nice action riffs here and there, and I liked the Ewoks theme. Was largely indistinct otherwise.

Just now, John said:

I haven't even listened to the score for Fallen Kingdom yet. Is it that good?

Hard to say John. You and I tend to have a different ear for these things! :)

I do recommend it. I can say with surety that you will think it better than Jurassic World. I think it's some great work on Giacchino's part. Give it a shot and let us know what you think.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Other than that I had a hard time getting the volume to work when I listened to this, so it wasn't too great.

Huh?

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

Seven Years in Tibet.

This is sooooo beautiful. I adore this score.

Agreed. A perfect companion to Williams' Memoirs of a Geisha. That Yo-Yo Ma is one heck of a cellist.

:music:Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams