What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

So far:

Dune (2021) FYC

Still great. I'm not as obsessed with it as I was a few months ago. And it's honestly a little harder to get back into it. It's amazing, it's just not... Pleasant.

Ford v Ferrari

Man, I still love this score. Ok, I see I've posted about this multiple times. Time to listen to something I haven't played in a while.

image.pngNow 2 discs for collaborations with "bigger name" directors that all only lasted for a single film. I loved all of these here, but Exorcist especially stands out as a major asskicker.

On 02/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, Once said:

Murder on the Orient Express (1974) – Richard Rodney Bennett

As a kid I found this score boring in many places, but I really enjoyed all of it this time. It just flew by.

I've never listened to the OST, only re-recordings of selected tracks. Is it worth tracking down?

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Psst. Psst. We need a bigger name.

I know, but they all dead.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never listened to the OST, only re-recordings of selected tracks. Is it worth tracking down?

Yes, it is!!!!!!! It's a - pardon the pun - first class score, and definitely deserving of its Oscar™ nod.

And off to 1990 we are. (Part 1)

The Hunt For Red October - Basil Poledouris

Joe Versus The Volcano - Georges Delerue

Back To The Future III - Alan Silvestri

Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

Gremlins 2: The New Batch - Jerry Goldsmith

Days Of Thunder - Hans Zimmer

Avalon - Randy Newman

Home Alone - John Williams

Memphis Belle - George Fenton

Dances With Wolves - John Barry

Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Is it good? (I'm not a huge fan of the movie. I may be overlooking the score.)

I liked it quite a bit actually. It's far from my favorite Herrmann score. But I really enjoyed it and I liked the bird sounds in the later tracks.

Citizen Kane is a very entertaining and cool movie.  I love this period of the late 30s/early 40s when the newer generation of composers like Herrmann and Copland and Rozsa came in and changed what Hollywood film scores could sound like.

1990 (Part 2)

The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

Kindergarten Cop - Randy Edelman

Come See The Paradise - Randy Edelman

Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri

Misery - Marc Shaiman

Mr. Destiny - David Newman

Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

Pacific Heights - Hans Zimmer

Darkman - Danny Elfman

Die Hard 2 - Michael Kamen

Presumed Innocent - John Williams

Dick Tracy - Danny Elfman

Awakenings - Randy Newman

Green Card - Hans Zimmer

levanto_unexpectedjourney-1030x1030.jpg

While last year's horror score for THE INNOCENTS was fascinating in-context, it's not what I go to Pessi for. He's very good at approximating Williams' more downkey/smaller ensemble style, also on display here. Some nice writing for bassoon(?), in particular.

ab67616d0000b273a3c8a5f32e361fab228e74e0

"Sports movie score" from 2011, Morricone-style, which means fewer patriotic anthems and jagged action sequences, and more nobility tinged with melancholy. One of his best, post-millennium. Gotta giggle at the last, 10-minute track "Rock?" -- which is kinda rock, and kinda not.

042.-IL-GIARDINO-DELLEDEN.jpg

This was one of the Cipriani favourites that surfaced in my recent exploration. It drags a bit eventually (even at a reasonable 45 minutes), due to its repetitive nature, but still very good. It's nothing like Poledouris' THE BLUE LAGOON, really, even though it's romantic. It has more of those 70s Euro light jazz touches that were still the rage in 1980, when the film came out.

MTc5LmpwZWc.jpeg

This is not on the level of THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, and Gabriel reuses a lot of material from preceding studio albums -- but his new compositions combined with the instrumental versions of the existing material bleed together wonderfully. Airy, mysterious and tribal. The film was one of my favourites in my teenage years.

image.png

I continue to marvel at the Maestro's ability to take the crap just as seriously as the well-made thought-provoking movies, just as much of an opportunity to keep pushing and developing his own sounds and flavours. Mission to Mars is just an absolute wonder.

The Amazing Spider-Man (recording sessions) by James Horner

A magnificient score and one of the best superhero score I've ever listened to. It's remind me that it's its 10th anniversary a perfect time to release a proper expansion

19 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's remind me that it's its 10th anniversary a perfect time to release a proper expansion

It was recorded in LA, so I don't know if the fees would be too high for an expansion. But yeah, it's a great score.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein (Varese re-recording)

If not for the existence of John Williams, this would be my favorite in-film score cue of all time.  Pure.  Movie.  Magic.

It's great. It also features John Williams (the original, anyway, not the rerecording).

1 minute ago, Thor said:

It's great. It also features John Williams.

Yes, I know.  The beautiful section at the end of clip I posted with the harp and celeste, I was trying to figure out if I could hear his piano lightly doubling the celeste.  I *think* so.

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It was recorded in LA, so I don't know if the fees would be too high for an expansion. But yeah, it's a great score.

After all the money earn with No Way Home they could at least do this

Days of Thunder - Hans Zimmer (LLL)

Such a fun score, reminds me of my childhood.  From the good old days when Zimmer had only ruined film scores by making them sound like pop music, before he ruined film scores by making them sound like sludge.

Always (LLL) by John Williams

Last year was overall amazing for the Williams expansions between the magnificient sound improvements of Images, Eiger and Fiddler and the perfect C&C presentation for this one which make me like it on an all other level. It never had been a score I used to listen a lot (besides Dorinda Flight) but now I can hardly pass a month without it. A true gem!

Rich In Love - Georges Deleure

Delerue's final score. He passed a way a few hours after the last recording session.

This score is everything Delerue did so wel thoughout his career. Beautiul, romantic music.

The score has 3 themes which all get a decent playtime throughout the score. There's some exquisite writing for solo woodwinds, guitar and strings.

It's a fantastic score. What more can I say