Prometheus Announces Conan The Barbarian Complete Score.

Ollie

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to see someone record the Spartacus album that Goldsmith was slated to record. I don't see what's stopping Varese from finding someone else to helm that project, aside from the new release and perhaps a bit too strong attachment to Goldsmith.

Logistics? And money. After all, Goldsmith wanted to do it for many years, and nothing became of it.

Why is the original version of the prologue included in the middle of disc 1 instead of the bonus tracks section?

Why is the original version of the prologue included in the middle of disc 1 instead of the bonus tracks section?

Afer the pit fight sequence, there's a minute long cue underscoring his training, with a lovely version of the Anvil of Crom theme followed by the heavy drums as heard in the beginning of the film. This could be the original prologue moved to there.

I thought the City Of Prague had a reputation as being a bad orchestra. Have they gotten better over the years or something?

I thought the City Of Prague had a reputation as being a bad orchestra. Have they gotten better over the years or something?

Their re-recordings have always had a good reputation and are indeed fine interpretations of classic film scores but their compilation albums range from quite good to awful.

Yea, I always thought the Prague Orchestra was no good, but these sound clips are indeed, amazing. I will definitely pick this up. Maybe they put more care into the re-recordings.

Well I think most of the bad recordings were done many years ago. Plus I believe they do spend more time on the film recordings compared to the compilation recordings.

I wonder why there is such a gap in quality between the full score recordings and the compilation albums?

Mostly because the compilation albums were recorded years ago. They've gotten better, either through practice or (more likely) through new musicians. Recordings like El Cid and Lawrence of Arabia are just amazing. None of that blocky, coarse sound that shows up on compilations.

Exactly. The Guns of Navarone didn't sound bad at all, either!

I'm not that interested in this one, so I'll be picking up The Alamo instead I think.

I watched that bit of the sessions that Chris from SAE posted on FSM. I gotta say for a re-recording that's pretty damn impressive. I think I'll actually order this score and give it a shot.

I wanted to make this a multi-Tadlow day, but I restrained myself and only bought Conan from SAE, because it sounds like they have it in stock to ship soon. MM or Tadlow would take a bit longer.

While I have 60+ albums in limbo to rip and tag, this one would definitely move to the front of the class.

As far as the Nic Raine conducted Prague recordings go I would recommend not just the Tadlow/Prometheus releases but also several of the Silva John Barry recordings:

Raise The Titanic

The Lion In Winter

The Last Valley

Robin And Marian

Mostly because the compilation albums were recorded years ago. They've gotten better, either through practice or (more likely) through new musicians. Recordings like El Cid and Lawrence of Arabia are just amazing. None of that blocky, coarse sound that shows up on compilations.

I suspect they're getting more rehearsal time for these "big" re-recordings, too.

Ordered.

im puzzled for this track title: Las Cantigas de Santa Maria

Perhaps Poledouris used the cantigas or a cantiga as a basis for that piece?

I just realized that Rózsa used the song melody in the example soundclip of the Wikipedia page (Cantiga 100, "Santa Maria, strela do dia") in his score for El Cid. ROTFLMAO

Not a huge shock as Rózsa did extensive research on these very same cantigas but still it was surprising to find the exact melody here.

Rozsa made extensive use of the Cantigas for El Cid, I believe nearly 10 cantigas are used, if I remember correctly.

The cantigas themselves are explained in the wiki article - I assume Poledouris must have adapted some as well, based on the track title.

It's interesting to see how many new people are being introduced to Tadlow's rerecordings through this release! Even more interesting to see that some people still have a negative outlook on City of Prague - El Cid drowned the doubts of most people way back in 2008!

im puzzled for this track title: Las Cantigas de Santa Maria

Per this site:

http://conancompletist.forumactif.com/conan-the-barbarian-f3/music-of-the-giant-snake-scene-t726-20.htm

"This is an traditional track from Galicia and it is called "Cantiga 166" also known as "Como Poden (per sas culpas)". The version as heard in the movie is an original recording by "The Clememcic Consort" produced in 1976. Mr Poledouris only added the female choir to the existing recording. I think that's the reason why it is not on the Soundtrack Album. Copyright permission only for the movie and not for the Soundtrack Album."

"Como poden" begins at 1:47 in this sound file on YouTube, which represents a low quality film rip of what we'll get on the Tadlow/Prometheus re-recording. Although what sounds similar to the sample at SAE's site doesn't start until about 4:40 or so on the YouTube video. God that sounds terrible.

As far as the Nic Raine conducted Prague recordings go I would recommend not just the Tadlow/Prometheus releases but also several of the Silva John Barry recordings:

Raise The Titanic

The Lion In Winter

The Last Valley

Robin And Marian

That's all well and good but I can't ever forgive The Prague Phil for the simple fact that their horrendous Raiders March performance is the version most listened to on YouTube, PLUS it has also become the good-to-go recording for all miscellaneous tv appearances etc.

Not good.

Raise The Titanic

The Lion In Winter

The Last Valley

Robin And Marian

That's all well and good but I can't ever forgive The Prague Phil for the simple fact that their horrendous Raiders March performance is the version most listened to on YouTube, PLUS it has also become the good-to-go recording for all miscellaneous tv appearances etc.

Not good.

Link?

This year is just overflowing with great stuff. My poor wallet!

Indeed! ROTFLMAO But I'm getting this nonetheless! :lol::D It's an absolute must-have. What a thrill the recording sessions must have been for all those involved, especially musicians ... I'd die to play percussion on this one someday! :D

Not good.

Yes, my brother went and purchased that awful recording off iTunes when he knew I had good recordings of the Raiders March on multiple discs. ROTFLMAO I don't get it.

Raise The Titanic

The Lion In Winter

The Last Valley

Robin And Marian

Not good.

But with the money they make from that licensing to TV and other things, they get away with producing these kind of recordings like El Cid and Conan.

Good.

ROTFLMAO

It was re-prepared for this concert (I have the scores) . Greg McRichie's original orchestrations do survive (or rather all those used in this concert)

I have no idea. I don't know what exists of Poledouris' material as far as sketches and actual composer sheets. I can't remember if he had to reconstruct for the Ubeda concert or if he used his original sketches.