Prometheus Announces Conan The Barbarian Complete Score.

Ollie

So lets delay Sintemaarten and Sinterklaas untill 24 December, so we have all the cool stuff on one day!

This is Conan, your knee-jurk reaction should have been to order this straight away, even if you had no money to buy food!

:P

I had to fight the urge to place the order immeadiately as I am waiting for the end of the month announcements and possibly even more cool releases from the labels. It is not likely that there will be anything more significant than Conan in the pipeline before Christmas from the labels but just in case I will wait and save my money.

And my Christmas was already, they released The Music of the Lord of the Ring Films book last month. ;)

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets delay Sintemaarten and Sinterklaas untill 24 December, so we have all the cool stuff on one day!

This is Conan, your knee-jurk reaction should have been to order this straight away, even if you had no money to buy food!

To annoy you, I will not order it any time soon.

Also, it'd be easier to postpone Sintemaarten, Sinterklaas and Christmas until midnight of December 31st. It's called Sinterkerstennieuw.

And in our world, ideally, it comes with a Burton/Elfman box.

I think that will be the most talked about double-edged-sword of a film music release ever. It simply smarts to think all the music released and to know that only a small minority has the cash to get it.

....How can you not love CONAN? Heathens.

"Infidel defilers. They shall all drown in lakes of blood. Now they will know

why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night".

Personally for myself I am waiting until January to get this as it's unlimited. I am waiting to see what La-La Land unveils on the 26th since there are supposed to be 4 big titles coming from them.

All you guys waiting for other stuff to bundle it with, don't forget that Tadlow offers free shipping. So if you're just waiting to save on shipping costs, don't. :lol:

I for one am not. I just need to have funds available in case if the 4 big titles that La-La Land reveals on the 26th and I end up getting all four of them.

Even when the time comes for me to order Conan from Peter I will always choose Priority Shipping.

All you guys waiting for other stuff to bundle it with, don't forget that Tadlow offers free shipping. So if you're just waiting to save on shipping costs, don't. :)

I almost ordered directly from Tadlow, but with the conversion rate it wound up being a $1 cheaper with SAE (including shipping).

How does this re-recording compare with the original soundtrack?

I'm wondering if there's any need to keep the original soundtrack on my iPod now that this is out.

That's up to you. I have a 160 with 80 free so there's no need to remove the Varese yet.

The re-recording is certainly longer and complete, but there are noticeable performance differences. You'll hear chants, percussion, and other instruments that you didn't before, and tracks will flow into each other differently.

It depends on how pressed for space/time you are. If sometimes you want to hear Highlights from Conan, keep the Milan or Varese. If you have the time, go Prometheus/Tadlow. Both presentations have their merits.

I think some have even said it's better than the original recording.

And some at the FSM board get crazily anal about the sound quality of certain passages, which I can't hear.

Unfortunately technology has now made a small group of anal fanboys audio experts. Just because they have computers they now think they know everything about music and making CDs.

The Conan recording is fantastic but there are some changes.

The Conan recording is fantastic but there are some changes.

Hmm, yes, did I forget to mention that? I've been waiting for this score longer than I've been collecting soundtracks. It's awesome.

Unfortunately technology has now made a small group of anal fanboys audio experts. Just because they have computers they now think they know everything about music and making CDs.

Indeed and it can be quite irritating at times.

I should clarify a bit more, they think that they can analyze everything and come to these silly conclusions. Of course they don't take into consideration the age of the material, how it was recorded originally or how it was recorded now.

This digital age has somehow convinced some people that everything has to be 100% perfect.

Boy do I hate it when absolutely everyone seems to love a score to bits. I thought it only happened with Williams.

Some of the quieter moments are interesting, but as soon as it goes into action territory, it's just losing direction for me. I know it's a product of the silver age (right?) and that's probably the reason, It's a different approach to scoring and it's not really working for me.

We've had 4 pages of partying :lol: I thought the thread could use a little balancing.

Besides, I'm somewhat of a silent anti-conformist these days.

Don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff here. I probably just don't want anything like the whole score.

yes. Because if you can hear THAT .You don't need a diploma in music mastering to know that

Some Prequel unreleased music game files look like that and crackle like crazy

I got this today in the mail. My mother was curious about what cd I was awaiting so eagerly in the last few days, so she was right next to me as I put the cd on the cd player. The track started with those low drums and percursion beats of the Prologue, and she was saying "Is that it?". Then, The Anvil of Crom began. It was an absolute sonic assault on the senses. Such power, such ferocity, I was imeditaly gripped. Great, great stuff

We've had 4 pages of partying :cool: I thought the thread could use a little balancing.

You would be the one, wouldn't you. ;)

I got this today in the mail. My mother was curious about what cd I was awaiting so eagerly in the last few days, so she was right next to me as I put the cd on the cd player. The track started with those low drums and percursion beats of the Prologue, and she was saying "Is that it?". Then, The Anvil of Crom began. It was an absolute sonic assault on the senses. Such power, such ferocity, I was imeditaly gripped. Great, great stuff

:lol:

That first time listening to Anvil of Crom last Thursday was indeed glorious.

I'm going to with the explanation that James Fitzpatrick posted from his mastering engineer in the Conan thread over at FSM.

Plus I can't hear any problems so I'll just enjoy it for the wonderful recording that it is.

I'm going to with the explanation that James Fitzpatrick posted from his mastering engineer in the Conan thread over at FSM.

Plus I can't hear any problems so I'll just enjoy it for the wonderful recording that it is.

Cool... although... he comes off as really bigoted toward Italians.

Fine, but you're missing out on a terrific opportunity to demonstrate your aural superiority by trashing the recording.

Your loss.

Indeed, I am worthless, I'm naval lint.

I must rethink my superiority and find a flaw in this recording. There has to be some f*ck up somewhere.

Someone on a certain forum had this to say:

"I emailed James Fitzpatrick about it, and he responded in a kindly manner and has offered to replace it with a repress of a new mastering in about 3 weeks time -- which is pretty goddamn awesome. (I feel a bit sorry for the guy, I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Ah well.)"

REALLY?!

Well I wouldn't dare post anything at FSM's board that has to do with that particular forum right now. ;)

I do know James Fitzpatrick mentioned at FSM that he will be out of the loop for about 3 weeks. However if he did indeed mention in an e-mail about repressing then I think it is imperative he post something immediately.

I'm sorry I don't hear any problems with Conan nor can I hear any of the other problems people have claimed exist on recent other releases. Maybe my hearings going bad.

I don't think its your hearing Mark. I tend to think when people point out "errors" on albums like Conan and such that others can't hear, they must have their music up really loud in order to hear them. I too don't hear a lot of these anomalies that people seem to hear on certain releases.

Like I said on FSM there will always be a group of people who will try to find anything to bitch and complain about for a release.

Edit: Scallenger ya don't mention anything on FSM to what someone on Shrine said, especially with recent events.

I'm no audiophile but there will some "distortion" if you are listening to albums on MP3 players/iPods, using certain headphones and the music is encoded at 128 / 256.

I also know some legitimate glitches, ie Total Recall Deluxe, The Edge, The Last Castle, are barely noticeable without headphones.

Lukas found out that someone there had uploaded the Ron Jones Box and was offering free downloads.

Needless to say Lukas blew a gasket and I think this really hit him more personally than any other release.

FFShrine is a pirate bay that shared the links to a complete 14-disc set of Star Trek TNG music in lossless, and Lukas Kendall lowered his guns at that forum in anger. Then FSM went on a "we love FSM, buy FSM music to save FSM" crusade that faded after massive threads.

Now they're bitching about quality in Conan? WHY? So Fitzpatrick can lose more money by repressing a certain number of discs, so they can post that for free as well? I don't want a second repressing, I'm happy with the first one.

What a bunch of morons.

Our hobby is doomed.

Actually it would be Prometheus and apparently this is selling quite well. ;)

But the same crap happens whenever some old score is released in Mono or with missing elements, there always some nincompoop who claims that the stereo elements exist or that the missing elements are in someone's possession but they never back up their claims.

In fact there is someone at FSM who continuously does this.

And I will say this, there is no re-recording of a film score that is 100% faithful to the original version. There will be differences. Some are slight and some are more obvious. And I have no problem with people who don't prefer re-recordings, I myself am dissatisfied with Varese's Jaws.

However at least buy or listen to the damn CD before passing judgment off a few 30 second clips.

Joe Caps likes to chime in from time to time.

Ed Nassour was the one who raised all the fuss about Spartacus, which is a shame because he had an interesting career but lacked tact.