The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

What happened to that guy? All I remember is his Alien avatar, and him having a ridiculously large soundtrack collection.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing a character called John Blake, who is a Gotham policeman. He's not playing the Joker.

He talks as if he's the only one writing the new score, he doesn't mention JNH at all

Yeah in another recent interview somewhere else it said that he's going it alone this time. Shame. I really enjoyed their collaboration. Still, I'm glad that he only has this and Sherlock Holmes on his plate for the next two years. When he does 8 scores a year they just go down and down in quality.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing a character called John Blake, who is a Gotham policeman. He's not playing the Joker.

we know that, but in the end, you know the twist, he'll be the joker, he and ledger look almost like twins.

He'll end up as the Joker.

I probably should have put spoiler tags on the possibility that I'm right, but screw it.

King Kong Dies, the Titanic sinks, and Oskar Schindler reprises his role in the new Batman.

Nolan has said out of respect for Ledger that The Joker will not be played by another actor

he said that but you know for artist reasons he should not be held to that.

Ledgers self destruction was tragic and unnecessary and it should not prevent the Joker from being relized as a character because of someones poor drug habits.

What Nolan did say is that there was never supposed to be a Joker character in the third movie. The unresolved note and "never-ending battle" feel it is essential to their relationship.

Karol

Plus it spares the third film one of the few bad moments TDK had, so The Joker's character doesn't run the risk of ending up like The Scarecrow.

But yeah, if Batman is rebooted the Joker will be back. He was killed by Burton and came back for Nolan.

What Nolan did say is that there was never supposed to be a Joker character in the third movie. The unresolved note and "never-ending battle" feel it is essential to their relationship.

Karol

We don't really know that. Had Ledger lived and gotten his life back on track, I'm sure he would've reprised the Joker role in some capacity in TDKR. Or not, who knows.

GB: Watching “The Dark Knight,” it’s very easy to imagine the Joker returning to Gotham, the way his fate remains unresolved. When you were writing the film, did you anticipate that the Joker would be back in the third film?

NOLAN: No, really and in truth, I only deal with one film at a time. I find myself sort of protesting this issue a lot. We’ve never attempted to save anything for a sequel or set up anything for a sequel. That seems improbable to some people because, particularly with “Batman Begins,” the film ended with a particular hook [with Jim Gordon showing Batman a Joker playing card announcing the arrival of a new villain in town]. But for me that was just about the excitement of people leaving the theater with the sense that now we have the character up and running. I wanted people to walk away with that sense in their head. You know, that he’s become the Batman in the movie. That’s why we had the title come up at the end, because it was “Batman Begins,” and it was all very specific to that.

Then I got excited about seeing where that character would go. It was planned in advance, but it followed in that way. But we tried our hardest to really do everything in this movie that we would want to see the Joker do and to get that in the fabric of the story as much as possible. We wanted the Joker’s final taunt to Batman to be that they are locked in an ongoing struggle because of Batman’s rules. There’s a paradox there. Batman won’t kill. And the Joker is not interested in completely defeating Batman because he’s fascinated by him and he enjoys sparring with him. It’s trapped both of them. That was really the meaning of it. Of course what happened is Heath created the most extraordinary character that you would love to see 10 movies about. That’s the bittersweet thing. It was incredible characterization. It is a bittersweet thing for all of us.

Source.

Karol

Joker will not be in the film.

Nolan, as well as most people, respect what Ledger did and will not try to recreate that in a film that is already chock full of villains. If he were to do it, I think the only real way to accomplish it would to have it be a Hannibal Lecter type situation, where Batman goes to Arkham to ask Joker's advice about how to deal with Bane. Of course, that relationship idea was just currently used very well in the show Luther, so I doubt Nolan and co. would want to do something like that. I think Joker's time has passed in this story, maybe to be mentioned again, but never seen.

Interview with Zimmer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13964918

He's already at work for the new Batman movie (with some eclectic inspirations, I'd say).

If ANY Verdi seeps into the score for TDKR, I can only see that being a good thing.

"Of course I'll try to make it different, but I'm not going to abandon the musical language of the previous film. It's a matter of knocking down some walls and making it broader, wider and more epic."

How can you possibly make the bombastic sound of that "more epic"?

An added wall of choir?

If I wanted to make the present-day Batman music more truly epic, I would broaden the range of instrumental color, diversify and enrich the harmonies, and using gripping melodic material, but that's just me.

"Of course I'll try to make it different, but I'm not going to abandon the musical language of the previous film. It's a matter of knocking down some walls and making it broader, wider and more epic."

How can you possibly make the bombastic sound of that "more epic"?

An added wall of choir?

Hans Zimmer plays the Joker himself!

If I wanted to make the present-day Batman music more truly epic, I would broaden the range of instrumental color, diversify and enrich the harmonies, and using gripping melodic material, but that's just me.

I'd hire a better composer.

I know I keep saying this but I would have preferred Nolan let JNH score the films alone and turn him loose, free from Zimmer's influence.

Not sure of that.

I am. Simmer is fully capable of making something original and enjoyable, but I guess he doesn't feel like it. Sherlock Holmes is awesome. The Thin Red Line is perfectly paletteable.

Apparently the teaser trailer and first poster will be released on July 15th with Harry Potter.

I know I keep saying this but I would have preferred Nolan let JNH score the films alone and turn him loose, free from Zimmer's influence.

Based on JNH's recent output, I'm not sure about that.

Was just coming here to post the poster. I like it, though it does remind me of Inception in a way.

BTW Merkel I replaced the super large version you had posted with a smaller one. You can still click it to be brought to the original large one.

I love the concept. Yes there have been skyscrapers in other posters, but they have never been the main focus. There's always a character (or a bunch) that is meant to attract the most attention.

That said, I don't like how the skyscrapers look on this poster. This just screams cheesy special effects to me. The stuff at the top looks like a bad effect out of the prequels. It doesn't color my expectations for the film, since TDK had good special effects. And the concept is cool enough to still make it a very good poster, better than any other poster I've seen this year.

Four movies. So overdone.

"etc" is here for a reason. You are here to find that reason. I give you a week. If by the end of the week, you haven't found that reason, then you'll owe me 500 bucks. Deal ?

I can't think of any others, and you probably can't either :P

Besides, the whole point of The (Retarded) Smurfs Movie is that they're in a big city. Skyscrapers are a necessity.

Well, for a start, what about Skyscraper : The Movie ?

They made it. It was called The Towering Inferno.

Batman fights crime in Gotham City. It's as simple as that. He doesn't hang out in a rural area where the buildings are no more than three floors tall, or save cattle from being rustled on the open prairies. He doesn't stroll through the forested mountains of Montana, or go deep sea diving off Tahiti, or ride camels through the desert, or chase diamond thieves through the Congo, or rope down penguins on the Antarctic coast.

Ok, he actually might do all those things above, and my apologies if he has in his 72 years of existence. But at the end of the day, he goes home to Gotham City. And what do cities have that those other places don't?

Skyscrapers.

It's an awesome teaser poster. It's an interesting way to use negative space to draw the Bat-logo, instead of something positive like the flaming logo of the previous movie.

The plot mechanic in The Smurfs is as bad as Koray described and more. Didn't they already do the same gosh-darn thing in Disney's Enchanted? Sheesh.

Poster looks fine to me too.

I don't know what's cheesy looking about it. It's a drawing / painting, not real objects.