La-La Land announces Home Alone (Complete)

Jay

That was also answered in this thread, but I cannot remember the name off the top of my head. Check the first few pages for GM's quote of a Mike Mattessino post

I just love the We Wish You A Merry Christmas quote at the end.

It's like breaking the fourth wall almost, JW scored the entire movie, and then he (along with all the crew and cast) turns to the audience and wishes us personally a Merry Christmas. I wonder whether that was Chris Columbus's or John Williams's idea. Anyway a brilliant touch to a brilliant movie.

Me too. It dawned on me when I took the main rhythmic motive from Carol of the Bells to use as the basis for a piece I was composing. (For the record, there was a woman involved and her favorite Christmas carol was Carol of the Bells and I thought it would be funny to take that motive, slow it down, and see if she recognized it; she didn't.)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't remember who it was...may have been ETandElliot4Ever, if not then I apologize.

Anyways someone thinks there's an insert missing from "Preparing The Trap" from Home Alone 2's score and there is not. I just compared the cue to the film since I've got Home Alone 2 on DVD.

I was going to do rip the rear channels from the film to properly separate cues from the Varèse set but it's only in 2 channel format, it's not 6 channel like usual, which I find a bit odd.

Edit: It seems I was mis-informed. The insert that was discussed was from "Kevin's Booby Traps". The insert was clearly taken from "Home Alone" at the end of the cue "The Attack Begins" (refer to LLL disc).

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now there are less than 200 units left, AND it's going Out Of Print on March 31st!!! BUY NOW!!!!!!!

GOING OUT OF PRINT 3/31/13!

THE FUGITIVE less than 200 remain
HOME ALONE less than 200 remain
Also going out of print 3/31 are TAKING WOODSTOCK, BOOGEYMAN and THE MESSENGERS. These 3 titles will be on sale for only $1.98 each, starting 1pm (PST) on 3/12/13. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! Couple of close calls there for me, between this and Explorers. Now I just need The Fury to stay in stock for a few more weeks (I suspect it will).

• 1 year later...

I'm listening to this right now and it's such a great score. This is my favorite Christmas score followed by Home Alone 2. Sometimes, I prefer Home Alone 2 over the first one.

That it be. Aye that it be!

They're both great, and whoever claims that the sequel is just a retreat of the first score has never paid attention to the (guesstimate) 70% of brilliant new stuff on the album.

The best thing about the expansion of the original score is the alternate finale. One of my favourite cues from both scores.

They're both great, and whoever claims that the sequel is just a retreat of the first score has never paid attention to the (guesstimate) 70% of brilliant new stuff on the album.

The best thing about the expansion of the original score is the alternate finale. One of my favourite cues from both scores.

You mean the "O Holy Night" on oboe? It's absolutely fantastic!

I wanted Listening to Carson for, like, ever.

I love both Home Alone and 2 equally. They really are very different scores, despite the constant criticism of 2 being a rehash. Home Alone is a more low-key intimate affair. Home Alone 2 has that patented big Williams sound--manic high-energy scoring similar to Temple of Doom and 1941. They're both great in their own ways.

My favourite cue from Home Alone 2, is To the Plaza, Presto. You don't hear something like this today!

The level of detail in texture/orchestration is outstanding!

Today's composers know that less is more!

My favourite cue from Home Alone 2, is To the Plaza, Presto. You don't hear something like this today!

The level of detail in texture/orchestration is outstanding!

Today's composers know that less is more!

It is good as they are truly lesser composers!

I believe that was used as source music (along with "Jingle Bells") for the grocery store scene and a few of the airport scenes as Kate is trying to get back home. The O Holy Night finale is probably my favorite alternate cue of Williams.

I listened to HA1 for the first time last night in the car, and never read the liner notes. Is the Christmas Carol medley from the end credits?

No it is source music from different parts of the film.

You mean the "O Holy Night" on oboe? It's absolutely fantastic!

Yep.

It's also another example where HA2 is more than a rehash. Instead of rehashing his HA rehash of The Nutcracker, Plaza has a brand new Nutcracker rehash. ;)

I absolutely the "Plaza Hotel" track as well. I kind of wish Williams changed up "Preparing the Trap" a bit more in HA2. Instead of using "O Holy Night," it might have been more interesting if he integrated the "Christmas Star" melody instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably it has been answered before, but I can't read now 15 pages.

I'm currently watching Home Alone and I just remembered:

from this lalaland edition the only music missing (besides some songs), is the Holiday Flight cue from the ost? (which is like a concert version of that theme).

It's not the same with "Making the Plane" from Lalaland.

The film version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas with Williams orchestral accompaniment is unreleased.

I also recall that the source music for Angels with Filthy Souls was supposedly a piece called Trade Center, but it sounded nothing like the music used in the film. But then, I also never understood why this was a big deal as it's just a snippet of fairly unremarkable music.

Also missing is the piece where Kevin is running around screaming about being free. I believe it's called "Rock and Roll Riff," which was supplied by John D. Lyon (Southside Johnny Lyon). If you look around, you can find clean versions of the Riff, Angels with Filthy Souls source music and the film version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

Is the film version of "My Christmas Tree" the only piece missing from Home Alone 2?

from this lalaland edition the only music missing (besides some songs), is the Holiday Flight cue from the ost? (which is like a concert version of that theme).

That's not a concert arrangement; its just a section of the end credits, separated out into its own track. So it's not missing.

That's not a concert arrangement; its just a section of the end credits, separated out into its own track. So it's not missing.

I see.

Well it's missing the clean start/ending..

There is a concert version of Holiday Flight on Holiday Pops, which is played slightly different as heard in Home Alone 2.

yes, i was wondering about that, and thought maybe he changed it because too many spotted the similarity with Nutcracker, so he changed a bit the phrase?

I don't know. Just a thought..

• 5 years later...

So I did some more digging on Tom Elliot's "Trade Center" and discovered that this attribution is absolutely INCORRECT!!!

Here is the correct cue:

"Lonely Street" (Erik Markman)

Media Music: The Professional Line
CD 6 - Great Music Ideas Through the Times

Track 30

Images of CD:

Spoiler

R-13325103-1552294277-9799.mpo.jpg

R-13325103-1552294277-8931.mpo.jpg

R-13325103-1552294277-7991.mpo.jpg

SoundCloud link (the pertinent portion starts at about 34 seconds into the cue):