What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't think that's all that Jerry's saying. As with a lot of his posts, one has to read between the words, to appreciate their full meaning.

That's why i've put him on my ignore list.

I dont use ignore lists. I dont delete people on social media. They may delete me but I don't delete them. I know I piss people off and people piss me off but ultimately I try to be fair

sleuth.jpg

Having recently seen the rather drab Branagh remake, i had to wash away the sour taste with a re-watch of Joseph L. Mankiewicz' classic film adaptation of a sardonic two-person play, which shines with intelligent dialogues, elegantly pointed class distinctions (Olivier vs. Caine) and an extremely masterful directing; it's at the same time a parody of the English crime novel á la Christie, and also a deeper exploration of the shady depths of intellectual application - the borderline between playful ruse and murderous seriousness. Clever and enjoyable, a bit long (134 minutes) but just one of those movies you can't dislike.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I didn't delete Jerry Drax on Facebook 

You inspired my comments but I did not mean to imply anything about you.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The Land of Oz.

Today I heard that Australia has changed all its states to territories, at least in name.  This true?

5 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Strange, a trustworthy source declared it to me.  But, I follow Australian politics a bit and have not read anything on the matter.

Wait, was that a serious question you were asking? The answer is no. No idea who'd spread that one.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Wait, was that a serious question you were asking? The answer is no. No idea who'd spread that one.

Yep, it was serious.  Very strange.  

Now I need to speak to your Prime Minister so he can back me up.

Who is today's PM, no, check that, try to get me the number of next week's PM.

(this part was less serious)

ScoMo has a history of making some out-of-touch comments that would put him in many people's naughty books, but he actually has a rather folksy persona that I think will help save a lot of the deck chairs for the Coalition come next election. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes as PM.

Evolution

Fun, dumb and very underrated.  Good Ghostbusters vibes to it.  Speaking of, I completely forgot about Aykroyd’s cameo.

I distinctly remember that this is the last movie I ever rented on VHS before getting a DVD player.

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Is that an imaginary place?

Drax is an American who gets payed to go online to say he lives in Australia. You know, to make the world believe it exists.

The Shining - this was great, but right now I can't say much more. It's simpler to list problems and highlights in less than great movies, but this is a strange, disturbing concoction that just... works, even if I don't know why. Needs a couple more watches I guess. Saw the US cut because that's what I found, I don't mind more backstory but removing the cook's journey to add to the full isolation probably was the right call.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Isn't scary, though.

I agree but there are people and fans who think it's super scary.

Personally I enjoy it for the style. 😁

Horror doesn't necessarily have to be explicitly scary or rely on jumpscares, the Shining slowly and disturbingly creeps under your skin with its uncannyness and dreamily flowing through corridors, not even letting go when the credits roll because of the last shot. Huh, I did manage to get something out.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Horror doesn't necessarily have to be explicitly scary or rely on jumpscares, the Shining slowly and disturbingly creeps under your skin with its uncannyness and flowing through corridors, not even letting go when the credits roll because of the last shot.

This!

I shut down and deleted the new IT after 15 minutes thinking if this is all that there is to it, I'm not interested.

My favourite horror, Alien, has it all - slow exploration of the unknown, sexual undertones, not overdone but present gore, some OK jumps, alien monster, slasher, disturbing uncannyness in the person of Ash - to that last one, on my first watch, the chestburster was nice, but I've seen it a hundred times in parodies and references already. Ash being an android, or even androids existing in this universe was completely new to me. His whirling out of control and spitting milk was already disturbing enough, but when his head came clean off and dangled to the side, I wanted to jump out of my skin and scream. It's not a classic jumpscare, but nearly had that effect on me.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

I shut down and deleted the new IT after 15 minutes thinking if this is all that there is to it, I'm not interested.

My favourite horror, Alien, has it all - slow exploration of the unknown, sexual undertones, not overdone but present gore, some OK jumps, alien monster, slasher, disturbing uncannyness in the person of Ash - to that last one, on my first watch, the chestburster was nice, but I've seen it a hundred times in parodies and references already. Ash being an android, or even androids existing in this universe was completely new to me. His whirling out of control and spitting milk was already disturbing enough, but when his head came clean off and dangled to the side, I wanted to jump out of my skin and scream. It's not a classic jumpscare, but nearly had that effect on me.

It's my favorite horror sci-fi movie too even though I don't think it was scary the second time around. That's the thing with horror movies, they only work once because the element of the unknown is gone. But scary is not the reason why I love Alien. It's the perfect presentation of the world it depicts. It's the imagery, the atmosphere, its 'immersiveness', the design, Scott's direction ...  It gets me high without drugs.