What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Quick list of things I've watched over the past few days:

Howard The Duck

Tales From The Crypt / The Vault of Horror (old 70s British films)

Big Trouble in Little China

Highlander (first time all the way through!)

I have an interesting DVD collection. :-D

saw the Campaign today. often hilarious, but don't expect to see the same scenes in the movie that you see in the commercial. Nice ending.

And The Avengers is a superhero film DC could never make, with its only two(maybe only one, but we'll see how Man of Steel goes) marketable heroes.

DC has at least three marketable characters -- Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. The latter is a brand on her own, and all WB is doing with her is kicking their heels on a feature-length film. It's more frustrating since that DTV animated movie that came out 2-3 years ago was awesome... you'd figure with successful female-led films like The Hunger Games and Snow White and the Huntsman WB would actually get off their ass and get it made.

It's a shame, because I think a well-made Wonder Woman film with the right actress and right director would do extremely well at the box office.

And The Avengers is a superhero film DC could never make, with its only two(maybe only one, but we'll see how Man of Steel goes) marketable heroes.

DC has at least three marketable characters -- Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. The latter is a brand on her own, and all WB is doing with her is kicking their heels on a feature-length film. It's more frustrating since that DTV animated movie that came out 2-3 years ago was awesome... you'd figure with successful female-led films like The Hunger Games and Snow White and the Huntsman WB would actually get off their ass and get it made.

It's a shame, because I think a well-made Wonder Woman film with the right actress and right director would do extremely well at the box office.

I don't think Wonder Woman is very marketable. Wonder Woman is kind of a silly concept within itself, and while I'm sure Wonder Woman is great in the comics, I don't believe it would translate well to film. I definitely think the Green Lantern is more marketable than Wonder Woman, anyways, and perhaps you saw how well that turned out when it was made into a film.

Or maybe you didn't. It was fucking awful.

That's what I mean when I say a DC character isn't marketable. You probably won't see a good film come out of them any time soon that's not Batman or Superman.

The Man Who Wasn't There

I love Billy Bob Thornton in this as much as I love the film, which is to say, a whole damn lot.

New York Stories

Three short films by Scorsese, Coppola, and Allen. I had seen Life Lessons a couple years ago, and really loved it, and here it's just as great on Blu. Nolte is his usual good self and Scorsese's camera work and use of music is sublime. Coppola's Life Without Zoe was simply awful. Honestly, I don't know what was the purpose of this. I was tired from work earlier yesterday so this was a good opportunity to doze off for a bit in time for Allen's Oedipus Wrecks. A wonderful vignette featuring Allen's typical humor and his beloved New York. Of all the films, he showcases the city the best, but then again that's his specialty.

Girl, Interrupted. This is really a good flick. Don't know why I enjoy it so much. Oh, maybe it's this:

girl-interrupted-2.jpg

Also that she attempts to run away with Angelina Jolie to Disney World.

Agreed, great movie. For some reason I've always been very attracted to Winona, specially with a short haircut. She's simply gorgeous that way.

Cape Fear (1991)

My first viewing. After watching Life Lessons yesterday, I've decided to finally start watching all the Scorsese Blus I've got stockpiled. Drop the bookended narration, Herrmann's excessively melodramatic score, and cut down scenes in the first 30 minutes or so and it'd be a really tight thriller. I felt that as it went along it got a lot less cheesy. Perhaps not the right word but that's the vibe I got from it. The use of color and Herrmann's blaring music reminded me of Suspiria. Some shots and scenes were very well composed, one in particular that I loved was when the camera flips during the climax on the boathouse. Also as it slowly turns upside down during Max's phone call with Danny. De Niro pretty much makes the film. His confrontation with her in the school theater was insanely unsettling. Superb direction and acting there. Same goes for the boathouse finale in general.

Super 8

1337256000000.cached.jpg

4/10

The idea wasn't bad, it even started off nicely but the script, which made the kids constantly talking about what they saw, is a letdown. The film is however pretty successful in evoking the feel of early Spielberg movies.

Alex

The film has heart and soul which is very rare today. And brilliant performances by the kids. 8+/10.

And if one like the zombie movie shown in the end credits, isn't it a big part of the whole movie when the kids are shooting it?

I found it very funny remembering the shooting in different locations.

There was a time I agreed with you often... :blink:

When was that?

The film has heart and soul which is very rare today.

It's a combination of E.T., Close Encounters and The Goonies. In my opinion, The Goonies aspect is the film's Achilles' Heel. It makes it too much a predictable kids movie. I hated The Goonies at the time. At least the zombie movie didn't have the characters constantly talking about what was happening. I understand that Super 8 is a typical JWfan movie though. It has that good ol' Spielberg thing going on but it's not enough for me. It's not making it interesting and everything feels a little bit too familiar. By the end, the film had lost me completely. 4/10 is for the first hour.

There was a time I agreed with you often... :blink:

When was that?

Wait.

It must be some other guy.

I understand that Super 8 is a typical JWfan movie though. It has that good ol' Spielberg thing going on but it's not enough for me.

So that makes you better human being than typical JWfan?

hornist- not a typical JWfan and has very strong opinions, brings them out too loudly, meaning that almost every other JWfan hates him- except Stefan.

It has that good ol' Spielberg thing going

No it doesn't. It aimed for it but fell well short. As I said at the time; the movie is a major try-hard - and ultimately - it's in that regard that it fails hardest. It's a Spielberg pretender at best. But as a family adventure movie in its own right it's well meant and perfectly okay. Seems mean to lay into it too much.

Yeah Koray, the movie is very stylistic...

The music choice is knowingly ott...

Another youngster misses the point of an older movie. What's with that? I was never that way.

Yeah Koray, the movie is very stylistic...

The music choice is knowingly ott...

Another youngster misses the point of an older movie. What's with that? I was never that way.

Yes I understand that, I'm simply saying it wasn't my typical cup of tea. Plus it is really an older movie if I was already born when it was out?

So that makes you better human being than typical JWfan?

I'm not Stefancos.

No you are not.

Super 8

1337256000000.cached.jpg

4/10

The idea wasn't bad, it even started off nicely but the script, which made the kids constantly talking about what they saw, is a letdown. The film is however pretty successful in evoking the feel of early Spielberg movies.

Alex

Yes.

Karol

Girl, Interrupted. This is really a good flick. Don't know why I enjoy it so much. Oh, maybe it's this:

girl-interrupted-2.jpg

Also that she attempts to run away with Angelina Jolie to Disney World.

Agreed, great movie. For some reason I've always been very attracted to Winona, specially with a short haircut. She's simply gorgeous that way.

I prefer it longer than in that terrible Alien movie. This style was good, but I really love her Reality Bites cut.

Cape Fear (1991)

My first viewing. After watching Life Lessons yesterday, I've decided to finally start watching all the Scorsese Blus I've got stockpiled. Drop the bookended narration, Herrmann's excessively melodramatic score, and cut down scenes in the first 30 minutes or so and it'd be a really tight thriller. I felt that as it went along it got a lot less cheesy. Perhaps not the right word but that's the vibe I got from it. The use of color and Herrmann's blaring music reminded me of Suspiria. Some shots and scenes were very well composed, one in particular that I loved was when the camera flips during the climax on the boathouse. Also as it slowly turns upside down during Max's phone call with Danny. De Niro pretty much makes the film. His confrontation with her in the school theater was insanely unsettling. Superb direction and acting there. Same goes for the boathouse finale in general.

Everything about the movie is deliberately over the top. The writing, the music, the direction... it's the cineast in Scorsese unashamedly playing Hitchcock & Co.

Blow

blow_poster.jpg

7/10

Yes I understand that, I'm simply saying it wasn't my typical cup of tea. Plus it is really an older movie if I was already born when it was out?

Yes, the Koray level is very low. Scorsese's delivery is not deadly serious. While watching Cape Fear, you are aware of the technique, the tricks the director is using. As it is so often in Film noir, the style becomes 'visible'. Scorsese is making a movie and he wants to show it.

I saw The Campaign. The movie was decently funny, but I thought the most important element was the message. It's depiction of campaigning, particularly the role of money in political campaigns, is something that really needs to be spread if we're going to overturn Citizens United. And the depiction of far right Tea Party-ers as stupid but well-intentioned puppets controlled by rich assholes seemed pretty accurate.

Then, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw Primer. I have no idea what happened in that movie.

The screenplay is complete crap? I'd say even worse than the SW prequels and IJ4

In all fairness, it transcends mediocre badness and reaches this delirious Ed-Wood state fairly early on.

It has that good ol' Spielberg thing going

No it doesn't. It aimed for it but fell well short. As I said at the time; the movie is a major try-hard - and ultimately - it's in that regard that it fails hardest. It's a Spielberg pretender at best. But as a family adventure movie in its own right it's well meant and perfectly okay. Seems mean to lay into it too much.

I find the 4/10 pretty accurate. A harebrained story building kit only shallow Hollywood people can come up with: ahh, the shot with the bulletin board and the missing dog, great Spielberg shot, now let's put some shit with aliens and kids behind it. The kid actors are great but wasted on the whole trashy premise.

It's unbelievable that people like Abrams whore around Spielberg but don't understand that his most beloved films - at their core - are not about manierisms and gadgetry but always stem from some deeply personal experiences, say being lonely, feeling alien and in desperate need for a soulmate. Films like SUPER 8 betray an almost total igorance of the purpose why Spielberg made the stories he did.

I find the 4/10 pretty accurate. A harebrained story building kit only shallow Hollywood people can come up with: ahh, the shot with the bulletin board and the missing dog, great Spielberg shot, now let's put some shit with aliens and kids behind it.

Somehow the typical exaggerations to make it Spielbergian bothered me, like 25.000 missing dog messages on one little board, or the train wagons that kept on falling out of the sky right next to the kids.

X-Men: The Last Stand

The film starts with a scene were Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are made to look younger using CGI, and it looks really fake and distracting.

The action and spectacle has been ramped up from the previous films, and there are a lot more characters. The only one who makes an impact is Kelsey Grammer as that blue guy.

The story actually has some interest to it, but it moves so fast from one action scene to another. Scenes involving characters who seem to lack the depth of the first two films. The Logan and Rogue friendship has now been reduced to a 2 minute scene.

Overall the action scenes are well crafted and the effects are top notch. But the final huge battle scene between mutants is completely stupid. We just saw Magneto destroy the Golden Gate Bridge, his powers are inmense. Famke Jansen as the Dark Phoenix is even more powerful. But they are standing on the sidelines while we watch lesser mutants duke it out?

** out of ****

I still like many parts of the movie. Ian McKellen is always interesting to watch.