Jump to content

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)


Mr. Breathmask
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

 

It's the best Coen Brothers movie that the Coen Brothers didn't make!


The Coens would’ve addressed the offenses Mildred committed in a humorous way. Martin McDonaugh just ignores them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

What We Do In The Shadows - highly amusing 'mockumentary' about a house-sharing group of vampires.
 

 

I love this movie but didn't like the popular spin off TV series - they changed the actors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Holko said:

Call Me By Your Name

Great!

 

 

Couldn't get past the first hour on this one. Firstly, it's very boring, and also, I've found its plot of a romance between and underage teenage boy and an adult man a little creepy and off putting. I know Chalamet was 20 or something when he filmed that, but still...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More than comfortable pacing fitting the lazy summer setting! Atmosphere! A 17 year old and a 24 year old together! Run!

 

 

 

Arrival

Great!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

 

Couldn't get past the first hour on this one. Firstly, it's very boring, and also, I've found its plot of a romance between and underage teenage boy and an adult man a little creepy and off putting. I know Chalamet was 20 or something when he filmed that, but still...

 

Agreed on all counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Golden Compass

 

Well that was... anti-climactic. It felt like the TV show only in fast-forward. Actually I'm glad I watched the show first or else I wouldn't have followed what the hell was happening in this movie. It has only one strength over the show and that's Desplat's whimsical David Arnold-like score, but that ain't enough to salvage this mess. Stick with the TV show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

The Golden Compass

 

Well that was... anti-climactic. It felt like the TV show only in fast-forward. Actually I'm glad I watched the show first or else I wouldn't have followed what the hell was happening in this movie. It has only one strength over the show and that's Desplat's whimsical David Arnold-like score, but that ain't enough to salvage this mess. Stick with the TV show.

I saw the film once, and I found it absolutely indecipherable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

 

I love this movie but didn't like the popular spin off TV series - they changed the actors.


I do like the series, but I speak as someone who thinks Matt Berry's voice is one of the wonders of the world :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He does speak marvelously. Berry is also the repetitive announcer on Absolute Radio, but I mainly remember him from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

 

Does the series improve with time? Or did its fans find it hilarious from the very start?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

...I mainly remember him from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Isn't that one of the funniest things you've ever seen?! The BMX chase is funny as!

 

 

 

13 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

What We Do In The Shadows - highly amusing 'mockumentary' about a house-sharing group of vampires.

If you like that, try BEING HUMAN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

The Golden Compass

 

Well that was... anti-climactic. It felt like the TV show only in fast-forward. Actually I'm glad I watched the show first or else I wouldn't have followed what the hell was happening in this movie. It has only one strength over the show and that's Desplat's whimsical David Arnold-like score, but that ain't enough to salvage this mess. Stick with the TV show.

 

I don't know, Nicole Kidman made a better Ms. Coulter than Ruth Wilson has.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt C said:

 

I don't know, Nicole Kidman made a better Ms. Coulter than Ruth Wilson has.

 

Ruth Wilson was allowed to demonstrate a range of emotion and character development through the wider breathing space of an eight episode arc. Nicole was alright, but limited in how far she could go. But overall, the movie just felt like an anemic and detached experience, as if I was watching a highlights reel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oz: The Great & Powerful

 

It suffers from a miscast lead, as well as tonal inconsistency and overall feeling of "that's it?". The film still looks every bit the $200 million poured into it (especially the gorgeous bubble voyage sequence), even though the CGI threatens to go into Alice territory. Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams are far too good for this, but they distract from James Franco and Mila Kunis. (God I hate Kunis' evil cackle so much!)

 

Sam Raimi brought some of his visual flair but apart from that, his usual set of cameos, and the Elfman score -- it could've been directed by anyone. Not much of the personality that was in his Spider-Man movies or Evil Dead. I'd wish he'd direct more instead of producing all these crappy horror movies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Isn't that one of the funniest things you've ever seen?! The BMX chase is funny as!

 

 

 

If you like that, try BEING HUMAN.


Darkplace was indeed an absolute hoot. To answer Quintus, I myself enjoyed the What We Do ... series from the start, but it might not be for you if you're struggling to get past the recasting. 

This Channel 4 Berry sitcom made me lol a lot -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_of_London

 

Being Human was very good too. A career kickstarter for both Messrs Tovey and Turner, I think it's fair to say.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vanilla Sky

 

Vanilla_Sky_Movie_Poster_27x40_medium.jp

 

- Good until the third act kicks in. It's then when the film starts to lose me. Then there's Irving The Explainer explaining to us what the movie is about.

- The scene where the specialists are proposing a prosthetic mask is one of the funniest scenes ever.

- I could hardly see the movie through all the grain. Never noticed that before. Am I becoming allergic to grain?

 

vanilla-sky-2001-cameron-diaz-review.jpg

 

And yes, this scene is downright creepy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

- Good until the third act kicks in. It's then when the film starts to lose me. Then there's Irving The Explainer explaining to us what the movie is about.

 

As far as I remember, that's where it really fell apart and became vastly inferior to the original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

As far as I remember, that's where it really fell apart and became vastly inferior to the original.

 

Still haven't seen Abre Los Ojos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mission Impossible : Fallout - the ever-shifting character motivations/loyalties can get confusing, but there's an undoubted pleasure in seeing Tom Cruise once again genuinely risking his neck in a series of eye-poppingly dangerous stunts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beach-700.jpg

 

Dunkirk

 

It actually plays much better than I remembered. It's Nolan at his most Nolan, but grounded in a kind of reality that allows for the film's visceral set-pieces to speak for themselves. It's exceptionally shot, and well-designed to keep me at the edge of my seat. It does sometimes still feel disappointingly small though, especially for the world it inhabits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lack of sense of massive scale is the last thing I expected from a Nolan film about Dunkirk. And yet the film does feel quite small and not in a good way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, John said:

I enjoyed it a lot. It’s probably my second or third favorite Nolan. 

 

Tarantino agrees with you. He thinks it's a masterpiece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Romão said:

And yet the film does feel quite small and not in a good way


It quite simply needs that huge screen to be truly effective.

 

Truly great films work regardless of how you watch them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.