Another new Williams release coming soon!

Jay

I don't care what it is, I just want it.

And I personally really enjoyed NWMWYD Vol 2. Lots of fun stuff in there!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping it is announced Sunday night in Varese's Club Batch

There will be a Williams title for sure in the upcoming batch, most likely from the Universal vaults.

Personally, I think the title that has more chances to be released now is Midway. It's the only post-Jaws Williams title that has never been properly released--yes, there's the Varèse re-recording by RSNO/Wentworth, but the performance and the interpretation was really so-so. It would be great to have the original film recording, as it has much more energy and power.

It would also be a very nice coincidence to see it released right after 1941, as the two scores have more than a thing in common:

I agree that Midway is very likely!

Wasn't it Varese's Family Plot liner notes that hinted it would be coming?

If it's Midway I might wait to get it. I have the rerecording, and I need to save my money for Tintin, War Horse, and other JW release. If Hook is released it'll be at least $30.

I've never understood the secrecy, it's very lame. Just quit with the stupid games and announce it.

It's like a political candidate announcing today that next week he's going to announce for office. It's a waste of time.

I've never understood the secrecy, it's very lame. Just quit with the stupid games and announce it.

It's like a political candidate announcing today that next week he's going to announce for office. It's a waste of time.

Only from where we are sitting, Joe.

There are numerous things -- economic agreements with printing presses, marketing strategies, schedules -- at stake with these announcements. The film world has always depended on a Kremlin-like secrecy. It's part of its culture (or at least it used to be before specialized blogs came about). It is something big companies expect when signing a deal. Since a lot of the specialized labels are run by film fans themselves, I understand that if they could avoid the secrecy game, they would. But since they are forced to play it, they do so with palpable gusto.

Not to mention it also diminishes the chance of fans building up expectations too high for their work to look bad.

The comparison to a political candidate running for presidency was an apt one. There are similar stakes -- momentum, disbanding other potential rivals, the course of current events (Sarah Palin's announcement that she would not run for president was overshadowed by Steve Job's passing) -- that we the audience don't care about but are essential for a party to keep on going.

Gotta say, at this point I'd be sorely disappointed if it turns out to be The Reivers.

At what point? I just read the whole thread on one sitting and didn't find the slightest evidence of progress from page one to page six. Or, to put it differently, from the moment Reivers was first mentioned to when you posted this. We don't know anything. We wish for everything, but that's only capitalistic masturbation.

I will say, though, that at this actual point, with so many releases out of the way, any Williams novelty will be more than welcome.

well, I would be much dissapointed if it isn't Hook.

i sort of have it as a given now..

Yeah. There has been too much hinting from them to not deliver it now. Or otherwise we have read the signs and hints very horribly wrong. :P

But didn't MV metioned that MM was not reffering to Hook?

This could mean that Hook is coming but with no involving of MM.

So another title should be popping up soon but it isn't Hook if it's the title which MM worked on.

I'll bet something completely disposable like REIVERS or COWBOYS (already well-represented), or even a headshaker like a second-run of TOWERING INFERNO, which isn't even a particular great score.

If it's HOOK, i'm happy, but i somehow doubt that it will come so soon, since Lalalandguy would have been a bt more playful with the hints in the last weeks.

As I said in the other thread, I think they would have completely dismissed all the rumors at this point if they were so off and unfounded. MV did it several times on the FSM boards. The fact they're doing nothing to shut them up and are playing a little bit with fans about it could be seen as a kind of faint confirmation.

I think in fact that they WILL release Hook, but probably not this year. Maybe they're saving it for their milestone 200th release.

• 2 weeks later...

Mattessino says this....

And just to keep things interesting I'll clarify further... there are actually TWO Williams releases I worked on that are coming out soon.

Mike

Okay, so "Midway" was ONE of them . . .

(Insert sound of crickets here.)

I guess three Williams releases (including Tintin in Europe) within a month IS rather sparse. Don't worry; it's on the way... and from as far out of left field as they come. Patience.

Mike

I'm thinking it's not Hook, unless he's referencing the baseball scenes.

Damn Hook for having room for all kinds of references and inferences. It even had baseball. :P But even with the most vague or everyday answers we fans will find ways to link them to Hook.

In this case I would take left field as meaning something completely unexpected though. ;)

It must be Secret Ways, A Story of a Woman or the Screaming Woman or some such. Even Kraft Suspence Theater.

It's THE SCREAMING WOMAN. :sigh:

Left field...politics? A Oliver-Stone-Box? Ahhh, nothing Williams has done in the last 30 years is really that esoteric....apart maybe from a cd with outtakes of SPACECAMP's Training Montage...

MV already confirmed almost immediately after my interview was published that Mike was not referring to Hook. That doesn't mean Hook isn't coming at all, it just means that Hook isn't coming soon, or that Mike was not involved in it. Or both.

I get from Mike's comments that it's a very obscure Williams title. Could be the FSM CD #242 that was recently sent to the plant, which means we'll find out in like 3 weeks.

Speaking about something coming from the left field (i.e. totally unexpected), I thought that maybe it's The Sugarland Express.

Apart from being a nice souvenir, is there anything useful in it apart from those sweet main and end titles (hardly 4 minutes in total)?

MV already confirmed almost immediately after my interview was published that Mike was not referring to Hook. That doesn't mean Hook isn't coming at all, it just means that Hook isn't coming soon, or that Mike was not involved in it. Or both.

I think it's quite clear that it's not Hook at all. I'm sure we'll see it sooner than later, but likely not this year.

I love Earthquake and I like The Eiger Sanction. They are wonderfully free of that Mickey Mousing action bombast (or what's it called? Wall to wall action cues?)

Concerning Hook. If it doesnt come this year then it is the biggest crapfeast ever. I mean with all those damn hints and the anniversary. This would be epic fail.

It feels exactly like a clone of last year. Most of you say the same things like last year, "It comes next year" or "It comes soon". If they won't release it so be it but it will epically suck with all those hints over the years!

When do we finally get real Williams meat again (like Home Alone or the Superman Blue Box)? 1941 and all these older score are nice and in some cases even great but it appears as if all the minor Williams scores get released first while Goldsmith always gets all time favorite releases like StarTrekV or First Knight.

Well, it all depends. I really loved 1941, it was a perfect release... but with minor i mean things like Midway, Family Plot, Black Sunday, obscure 60s scores....

I just want a newer score like Hook (where i was already born) in a complete presentation or scores like Jurassic Park, the Lost World the Phantom Menace or PoA

I know ;). I enjoyed these older scores, i bought Family Plot, Black Sunday and probably will buy Midway too. And i'm happy about every new Williams release but the focus nowadays is mainly on his older scores.

I would just like something newer dropped in the mix again like Home Alone last year.

Speaking about something coming from the left field (i.e. totally unexpected), I thought that maybe it's The Sugarland Express.

My thoughts as well. It's the least expected because we all think Williams won't let it happen.

Post 1975 is not a "minor" release

Are there any JW scores still unreleased after 1975? Could be that it is either an older JW score from earlier decades or a surprising expansion of a more recent score no one would ever think they would re-release again so soon.

Are there any JW scores still unreleased after 1975?

Not anymore!

That's what I thought! :)

So it is either something pretty obscure or completely unexpected from more recent times. Complete Stanley & Iris! :P