The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

1 hour ago, karelm said:

That looks like a great setup of singers, and Mehta is a great conductor (several operas in the Sony box are conducted by him, by the way). 

I guess that, in general, any recording of Puccini or Verdi that involves Pavarotti should be recommendable!

10 hours ago, Score said:

That looks like a great setup of singers, and Mehta is a great conductor (several operas in the Sony box are conducted by him, by the way). 

I guess that, in general, any recording of Puccini or Verdi that involves Pavarotti should be recommendable!

These are titans.  I think 90% of people who like opera first encountered it through them.  They are very, very good at this repertoire.  

This is not exactly what Puccini wrote, this is Pavarotti showcasing his talent above Puccini.  Seriously, did anyone ever sing Nessun Dorma so incredibly??  That penultimate note he sustains indefinitely is NOT in the score.  It's a 16th note.  This is his version of it and is the standard to which all others are compared to.  

On 06/12/2023 at 3:53 PM, Score said:

Pavarotti and the rest of the singers are great, but the orchestra is on absolute top form in that recording as well. It's one of the best orchestral performances I've ever heard.

I made my own version of Turandot where I attach the Alfano ending to that recording. I tend to think that if you're going to be pompous, then you may as well go all the way!

19 hours ago, karelm said:

These are titans.  I think 90% of people who like opera first encountered it through them.  They are very, very good at this repertoire.  

Besides Puccini and Verdi roles, Pavarotti also left unforgettable interpretations of Mascagni's "Cavalleria Rusticana" and Leoncavallo's "Pagliacci", the two works that, together with Puccini's operas, are the most widely recognized masterpieces of the "Verismo" movement. The core of "Pagliacci" is this desperate aria, which Pavarotti impersonates perfectly: 

Here is a small curiosity, since we are among film music fans: I don't know if it is widely known outside Italy or not, but many years ago Pavarotti had a collaboration also with Michael Kamen (in addition to the well known one with John Williams on "Yes, Giorgio"). Pavarotti was invited by Zucchero (a famous pop/blues singer) to duet with him on his song "Miserere", and Michael Kamen wrote the orchestral arrangement. Here is a performance with all of them, including Kamen conducting the orchestra:

I think it's a nice piece (the arrangement is superb as well).

Pavarotti was a lot like Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman, who have also been extremely popular, but also popularizers, maybe to the detriment of artistic evaluation. It's easy to forget just how good they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the persons, but appears to me he's hammering a piano to pieces, the things sticking out being "smashing effects" like in a cartoon. Since there are hammers in a piano(?), being a percussion instrument, I took it that way. Is he known for playing the piano hard, maybe, and especially in Mahler pieces?

Yes, the hammer is correct, because the 6th calls for two (or three…) hammer strokes. You can actually buy a concert hammer for that. But it's not usually used to smash something to pieces…

• 1 month later...

A question to you knowledgeable folks (that I might have posed before, I can't remember):

Can you recommend a good set (perhaps a 2CD set) of Arvo Pärt's best and most famous works? You always see him do so well on lists of most-performed classical composer in the world (even ahead of John Williams some times). But embarassingly, I only have one work in my collection - the Berliner Messe. I'd like to get "Fratres" and all the other iconic works in a good performance, along with other essentials, on a neat 2CD set as an intro.

I'd be interested in Fratres recommendations myself, because there are so many different version of it that I have no idea which ones are worth getting.

In no way a comprehensive overview, but I like this choral album (which includes the piece we did with the choir):

71h+nrfexmL._SL1500_.jpg

I hear Star Wars (inverted):

On 01/02/2024 at 9:07 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I'd be interested in Fratres recommendations myself, because there are so many different version of it that I have no idea which ones are worth getting.

In no way a comprehensive overview, but I like this choral album (which includes the piece we did with the choir):

71h+nrfexmL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd go for Neeme Järvi to start with who is also the authority for the Pärt symphonies:

Appreciate the Pärt recommendations, but none yet are quite what I'm looking for. To reiterate, for the moment a 2CD set will suffice, preferably one that is also available on streaming platforms for sampling. That set needs to a) include the most famous pieces (Fratres, 3rd symphony, Spiegel im Spiegel etc.) and b) be performed and arranged for the traditional ensemble, as featured in Pärt's original conception, no radical rearrangements. A classic "Best Of", of which there are MANY.

After that, I can explore further outwards, but need to start with the basics.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I noticed the first complete Marriner box set is finally coming from Warner, yes! Could anyone tell me which labels this will cover? I know that Warner has absorbed EMI, but is there anything else in there?

Decca seems to be releasing their own box sets now, but I’ll wait for their complete set.

What about Eloquence and Capricio? Will these do their own box sets, or are they part of another bigger one?

(I hate these different labels. Is there some list somewhere of who owns who?)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a complete set of the Widor Organ Symphonies? I have a couple of random recordings of the famous 5th but would like to explore the others.

Perhaps unwisely, I played the toccata from the 5th when I used to play the organ at a local church at the end of a service. I more or less got through it… our music teacher at school (as well as my church organ and later piano teacher) played it at least once a year at the end of assembly much to the delight of even the less musically inclined students. Although not as big a hit as when he played the theme from Jurassic Park or The Imperial March… both of which were ideal for the principal who was a dinosaur, wore a black gown and was probably evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a recommendation, but this thread seemed the most appropriate:

Could anyone texplain to me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH PRESTO'S NEW DOWNLOAD SYSTEM? This is nuts! I can't download zip files anymore, have to download track per track or install some stupid app that downloads everything twice as slowly??? Seriously?

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Not a recommendation, but this thread seemed the most appropriate:

Could anyone texplain to me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH PRESTO'S NEW DOWNLOAD SYSTEM? This is nuts! I can't download zip files anymore, have to download track per track or install some stupid app that downloads everything twice as slowly??? Seriously?

This must be very recent as I bought something from them only a few days ago and it was the usual download of zip files. Funnily enough I have the same complaint with Qobuz as the app doesn’t seem to work properly on my (admittedly old Mac) computer so I just download the files individually. I’ll be disappointed if Presto have introduced an annoying app as their downloads worked just fine. Chandos’ download app works but is also quite slow. If the Presto one is terrible, I suggest dropping them an email as they are surprisingly responsive. I know I will if I face the same issues. I assume there is some annoying technical reason why these sites use a download app but I much prefer to let my browser download them as zip files as, I assume, you do!

Just e-mailed them. This is not on. I don't know who's been giving them 'encouraging feedback', but this is rubbish. 'ZIP files are not practical for high-resolution downloads.' Yeah, I'm not a dog, so...

Temporary workaround: I allowed my browser to download files without promts, so it downloads all the tracks in bulk now. Unsafe feeling to have this setting in place, but only way for now.

51 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just e-mailed them. This is not on. I don't know who's been giving them 'encouraging feedback', but this is rubbish. 'ZIP files are not practical for high-resolution downloads.' Yeah, I'm not a dog, so...

Temporary workaround: I allowed my browser to download files without promts, so it downloads all the tracks in bulk now. Unsafe feeling to have this setting in place, but only way for now.

That’s a shame. Presto are my go to online store as their range and pricing are great. Maybe the app will get better but guess I’ll need to experience it for myself. 

19 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No ZIP option planned anymore, download manager or individual tracks it is. So much for downloading fast with fibre internet.

Placed a spontaneous Presto order to take advantage of a few things on my wish list being on sale and have installed the downloader - looks like my last order a few days ago was near enough the last day for zip file downloads.

First up, downloads don't seem to be any slower but then my broadband isn't super fast, but the 4 lossless albums didn't take more than 10 minutes (approx) to download. My main complaint is that against each album you ordered you have to click a link for download options, go to another screen and click on another link for the actual download. Then you have to click back to get to the other things on your order. That's obviously more of a website layout thing but it does seem quite clunky. One benefit of using an app would be to have a single "download all my orders" button which does everything for you in the background. I might suggest that since it would make having the app more worthwhile. I do like that it downloads each album into a separate folder (so you don't need to unzip them).

Having said that, and notwithstanding that it doesn't take up much space on my computer, it's basically replicating what a browser does and becomes yet another downloader app (to add to Chandos, Qobuz and HD Tracks) in my Applications folder.

I don't know if you had the option to choose before, but the download page now gives you the choice of download format; mp3, FLAC and Apple Lossless (ALAC). I usually download things in FLAC and convert to Apple Lossless. When downloading in Apple Lossless from Chandos, iTunes wouldn't convert those files to lower bitrate to go on my iPhone (I convert everything down to 256 kbps to save space on my phone) as I assume the files have some kind of DRM or whatever in them. Not an issue when you just convert tracks from FLAC using the converter and the sound is otherwise identical, so curious as to whether Apple Lossless tracks from Presto will have the same issues. If so, will just re-download into FLAC.

All in all, not a terrible experience, but agree that these downloaders become quite annoying after a while, adding yet another layer onto buying digital music. It's a shame there isn't a generic downloader app that was used by a whole range of companies and you just logged in for all the different sites you used.