Alexandre Desplat to score Godzilla

Ollie

Wow, awesome trailer. This film has a great marketing campaign. Hope the final product lives up to it!

It looks more like they are making a Hollywood Summer Blockbuster movie than they are making a Godzilla movie, yea. As someone who didn't grow up watching Godzilla movies and hasn't really seen any of them, that doesn't bother me at all. But what do we know before we've seen the flick anyway.

This movie keeps looking better and better. And it looks like Bryan Cranston has a stellar part in it too.

Wow, awesome trailer. This film has a great marketing campaign. Hope the final product lives up to it!

I thought the exact opposite. Obvious CGI, cliched 'naive government hiding stuff' plot.

But then I'm one of four people who liked the 1996 one, so what do I know...

I really don't understand why everyone seems to consider Emmerich's version a train wreck (literal quote from a review site).

It's a throwaway 2 hours of mindless entertainment. What the hell is everyone expecting?

OST is being released by WaterTower Records, it's up for pre-order on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHH2140

I wonder if there will be a 2CD version too like many of the blockbuster scores on WaterTower last year (Man of Steel, Desolation of Smaug)

OST is being released by WaterTower Records, it's up for pre-order on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHH2140

I wonder if there will be a 2CD version too like many of the blockbuster scores on WaterTower last year (Man of Steel, Desolation of Smaug)

Let's hope not

I like Desplat but he's doing too many movies. He should've said no to Godzilla. Knowing one has to compete with super loud sound effects for two hours, it's completely uninteresting for a composer.

I agree his sound might be too 'small' for a movie like this. Hopefully Conrad Pope can give the score some solid JW style bass parts (brass and strings), they always work out well against SFX in JW's scores...

I thought the exact opposite. Obvious CGI, cliched 'naive government hiding stuff' plot.

But then I'm one of four people who liked the 1996 one, so what do I know...

Indeed.

Big drums are not out of place, but, yeah, it does sound slightly worrying. Hopefully, there is a bit more flair to the rest of it.

It is definitely Desplat's music, no doubt about that.

Karol

I like the woodwinds, and the minimalistic approach in the theme heard in the beginning. That is one movie where the overcooked Williams style of blockbuster scoring wouldn't be right. It's apparently trying to be somewhat in tone with the brassy secondary theme of the Toho Godzilla movies.

The first bit is promising, the second half however is boring filler.

Ifukube's Godzilla has plenty of flair, especially the early ones. The scores from the 90s are pretty similar to each other, though. I like Ifukube's approach of creating a small handful of really strong themes for each film and centering the whole score around them.

Who knows if this is even representative of the score. Sounds like they took a little bit of relatively innocuous music to stick in the background and put on a loop. The first part does sort of sound like an old-fashion 'B' monster movie theme. I'd like to hear what he does with it during the big reveals and destruction.

Track list:

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B00JHH2140/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1397203020&sr=1-1&keywords=godzilla

1. Godzilla!
2. Inside The Mines
3. The Power Plant
4. To Q Zone
5. Back to Janjira
6. Muto Hatch
7. In The Jungle
8. The Wave
9. Airport Attack
10. Missing Spore
11. Vegas Aftermath
12. Ford Rescued
13. Following Godzilla
14. Golden Gate Chaos
15. Let Them Fight
16. Entering The Nest
17. Two Against One
18. Last Shot
19. Godzilla's Victory
20. Back To The Ocean

So godzilla is not going to die this time.......

Desplat is hit and miss for me. I have renewed hope in him due to Monuments Men but I fear it'll be a bland Deathly Hallows type score