Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah. I doubt Lucas would have set out to redeem Vader had he already the massacres of the prequel trilogy in mind. Its not at all clear to me that Lucas had the massacre of the sand-children and sand-women until scripting Episode II.

Working it backwards the way that he actually wrote it, why would he have had Anakin massacre the kids if he knew he was going to have him redeemed? Because that's what redemption is. He can't be redeemed if we wasn't actually bad.

Honestly it's really the only really bad thing that we see DARTH VADER do in the prequels. Somehow I never thought of "helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" as "He slaughtered a bunch of little kids while a clone army took down the grown up Jedi."

Now if Anakin / Vader had mowed through a temple's worth of legit grown Jedi? That would have been scary. And would really have put Obi-Wan up against the real deal.

Really, Episode II should have ended with Vader getting the mask. Or at least being Vader. Then Episode III should have been Jedi vs. Vader. And Vader would have won.

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

They should have had Anakin hunt down and kill Kitster and this rest of his friends.

"HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT!!! NOW WHO'S SQUASHED LIKE A BUG???!!!!"

I thought Kitster was the only one who actually liked him!  The other kids were just garden-variety bullies.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

I have finally found something I like more than Star Wars.

Reveal hidden contents

Not a big fan of caramel, but for you Canadians, I did figure out the "Caramilk Secret" and have been living on the run from the Cadbury people...

By the way, I enjoy another Reese's, that I found is about as polarizing as The Last Jedi:

image.jpeg

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

I have finally found something I like more than Star Wars.

Hide contents

image.png

I legit saw those in the market the other night and was tempted.  Now I'll have to get one next time I see one

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

IMG_3959.jpg?ex=65887e09&is=65760909&hm=

Is that a chutney with blue cheese drippings on that closest burger? And if it isn't, then it's given me an idea...

On 11/12/2023 at 6:05 PM, mstrox said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily been lost in the Disney era - for instance, there was a very good Kylo Ren SNL sketch a few years back, and The Simpsons has released a handful of shorts.  I think the prequels and sequels (and spin-offs) didn’t get the same volume of parody love that the OT did just because, while they were all huge movies, they were never in the cultural zeitgeist like the OT.

Yeah the undercover boss SNL sketch was really good, and it was really popular, those Simpson shorts haven't had any kind of a impact though, with the only reason I know they exist is because they've been advertised on Disney plus, but having not seen them mentioned anywhere I've no idea if they're any good as no one seems to have watched or cared to talk about them. And there was definitely plenty of Prequel parodies while they were coming out, this one in particular lives rent free in my mind.

But I've also realised that I don't actually watch a lot of those shows anymore, so they very well could be doing parodies of the sequel trilogy and the various spin off films and series's, it's just for whatever reason they're not breaking through into the cultural zeitgeist like they used to.

What are everyone's thoughts on The Clone Wars? For me, it's essential, but it's like the appendices in LotR. Best viewed after watching the main series, but it's obvious George was heavily involved, and it feels like Star Wars. Season 7 never happened.

Never watched that, except for that feature film they made of it. Not a fan of that one.

And yes, its my understanding Lucas was involved, mostly on the conceptual level: Luke was a girl for a short while when Lucas was drafting Star Wars, so clearly the idea of a girl protagonist was appealing to him and he got that both with Ahsoka and with Rey.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

What are everyone's thoughts on The Clone Wars? For me, it's essential, but it's like the appendices in LotR. Best viewed after watching the main series, but it's obvious George was heavily involved, and it feels like Star Wars. Season 7 never happened.

Wait... Season 7 is the last one that's on Disney+? The episodes that are so good that they fool me into thinking that I like Revenge of the Sith? THAT season 7?

I love Clone Wars but I'm always annoyed that we got seven seasons of Anakin freaking Skywalker and his wacky pals but the OT gang were barely ever seen again. I've always felt that the reason Lucas went ahead with Clone Wars was to show that his new characters were every bit as beloved as his original ones. "And I'll make 6 seasons of a show to prove it!"

The time between Star Wars and Empire is no less time boxed or "explored" than the time between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. And you didn't need Hamill, Fisher, and Ford any more than you needed Christensen, Portman, and McGregor.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Never watched that, except for that feature film they made of it. Not a fan of that one.

And yes, its my understanding Lucas was involved, mostly on the conceptual level: Luke was a girl for a short while when Lucas was drafting Star Wars, so clearly the idea of a girl protagonist was appealing to him and he got that both with Ahsoka and with Rey.

He was involved with story ideas and editing, and obviously anything to do with Jedi philosophy, or the specifics of world-building. I think he left most of the character stuff to Filoni. Not all, though.

There are arcs that could have only come from him. From the middle of season 2 on, he was heavily involved.

44 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

And I'll make 6 seasons of a show to prove it!

Heart of hearts, I don’t think this had anything to do with it, but judging by the younger fans who got into Star Wars almost exclusively with this show, he might have been on to something with this setting. Season 7 felt like a caricature to me. It only seemed to exist to soft pilot Bad Batch. And I like it better that Ahsoka disappears months before RotS. I don’t buy that that she was so involved with events surrounding that movie. That last arc with Yoda was a perfect, if unplanned, ending.

28 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

It only seemed to exist to soft pilot Bad Batch.

That's only 1/3 of the season. And from what I understand it was a story that had been kicking around for ages.

29 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

I don’t buy that that she was so involved with events surrounding that movie.

She's not. She's told about what is going on. Kinda. She knows that Anakin is on some kind of mission for the Chancellor and it tracks with "the last time she saw him" from Rebels. The Mandalorians, Maul, none of that is referenced in Revenge of the Sith because none of it had been thought up yet.

And then she's at ground zero of Order 66. As were almost all of the Jedi. And certainly all of the clones. But there was never anything that tied any of that back to what was going on on Coruscant or Mustafar.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

And then she's at ground zero of Order 66. As were almost all of the Jedi. And certainly all of the clones. But there was never anything that tied any of that back to what was going on on Coruscant or Mustafar.

Fair enough. But since she was obviously not a part of the original plan for the PT, I still like the space created by her leaving at the end of season 5. It helps me buy that she isn't mentioned or doesn't appear in RotS. Also, I'm mostly a Lucas purist, and he wasn't involved with S7, but if you like it, more power to you.

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I love Clone Wars but I'm always annoyed that we got seven seasons of Anakin freaking Skywalker and his wacky pals but the OT gang were barely ever seen again.

They got books instead of cartoons, and that’s A-OK with me.

22 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

They got books instead of cartoons, and that’s A-OK with me.

Yes but the prequels got books AND cartoons! I have been criminally underserved! They got Clone Wars (and THE Clone Wars!) and we got Droids and Ewoks!

IT JUST ISN'T FAIR!

13 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Yeah the undercover boss SNL sketch was really good, and it was really popular, those Simpson shorts haven't had any kind of a impact though, with the only reason I know they exist is because they've been advertised on Disney plus, but having not seen them mentioned anywhere I've no idea if they're any good as no one seems to have watched or cared to talk about them. And there was definitely plenty of Prequel parodies while they were coming out, this one in particular lives rent free in my mind.

But I've also realised that I don't actually watch a lot of those shows anymore, so they very well could be doing parodies of the sequel trilogy and the various spin off films and series's, it's just for whatever reason they're not breaking through into the cultural zeitgeist like they used to.

Huh!  Never seen that prequel video, but I guess that’s not surprising since I wasn’t into the prequels.  

I think we’re ignoring the most heavily memed Star Wars item in the history of the franchise.  It’s little and it’s got leathery lizard skin, it goes by a description instead of its actual name, it’s part of the Disney era, and thats right it’s Frog Lady

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Frog_Lady

(and also baby yoda)

52 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Yes but the prequels got books AND cartoons! I have been criminally underserved! They got Clone Wars (and THE Clone Wars!) and we got Droids and Ewoks!

IT JUST ISN'T FAIR!

tumblr_o7dzbwsaZd1twi2hjo3_250.gif

16 hours ago, Presto said:

They got video games too!!

They got a few of variable quality, but the OT got the entire Dark Forces, X-Wing, and Rogue Squadron series, along with Shadows of the Empire. OT has the best games by a long shot.

6 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

the OT got the entire Dark Forces, X-Wing, and Rogue Squadron series, along with Shadows of the Empire.

That's what I was saying.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Rebel Assault was my introduction to Star Wars PC gaming, and boy was it thrilling navigating that crystal canyon, the mining tunnels, etc. with the actual OST playing over it.

image.gif

Doesn't look like much now, but that's all we had!

It looks Flippin cool actually.

I have a soft spot for that era of PC gaming

220px-MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg

sc89p6.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=bo

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That looks more like a seahorse.

That's how bad things were. :lol:

Neither look especially like Mark Hamill.

I still see no upside to the CG trickery that beats just casting someone that looks that much like Hamill. If nobody told me I would have thought it was another actor. (With a weirdly limited range of motion.) It certainly didn't look like time traveling Luke. Michael Douglas in Ant-Man? Possibly the gold standard. And this was no where near that good. Neither was Luke in Book of Boba.

For Force's sake, recast these people.

Why would Disney be hesitant on recasting legacy characters when they don't mind trashing them? It surely can't be because they're worried about fan-outcry.

The plan was just to move away from them, but they're finding now that they can't, which is why they're sticking reminders of the OT and prequels in most everything to bait many of us to watch.

On 22/12/2023 at 1:40 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

Why would Disney be hesitant on recasting legacy characters when they don't mind trashing them? It surely can't be because they're worried about fan-outcry.

Solo failed at the box office, and in Lucasfilms eyes that has to be because they recast Han. Couldn't be that the film was a mediocre mess that was released close to TLJ so half the audience still had that on their minds or the troubled production with rumours of an acting coach brought in for Alden Ehrenreich and it's directors being fired near the end of production. 

No it's because they recast Han, so with Carrie Fisher sadly passing away between TLJ and TROS they can't recast her and instead use clips from deleted scenes of TFA and cgi to create a ghoulish performance. Half the fandom complained about how Luke was handled in TLJ with Hamill himself being vocal about the characters portrayal, so to appease those fans they can't recast him either and choose to bring Mark Hamill back and use cgi to deage him for a scene at the end of Mandalorian season 2 that's for the fans that weren't happy with TLJ. 

If Filoni really is planning to adapt Heir To The Empire then they're going to have to either bring back Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover and recast Luke and Leia or awkwardly replace them with Ahsoka, Sabine, Ezra and Hera. And with Filoni's recent comments I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter. 

Recast or CGI Luke or Leia doesn't matter. But they must write some reasonable story for them. CGI Luke in BoBF was boring and terrible. Totally wasted. 

Mon Mothma has pretty much taken Leia's place in the TV shows and she is so poorly written, that I  am happy, they don't use Leia's character for this.