Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

I'm listening to it and he still does this thing of repeating one note again and again, and groups of three-four, and I liked it in the first Star Trek, but now it becomes all there's to the music for quite a while... The opening of the cue is nice. The ending of the second cue is nice too.

I like what i hear...

For me, the use of Williams theme...sounded a little like KOTCS or ROTS. And if the maestro couldnt do any better... who am i to critisize giacchino? ;P

If that's the indominous motifin the second cue, i love he created a carnivore motif using the same structure as williams'

Just heard it! Really liking it, especially the more I listen! I agree with people who are saying the first track sounds a lot like Operation Genesis music, which isn't a bad thing! I'm sure it is fitting for whatever this scene is (I wonder?).

If the OST is chronological, it should score the traveling montage of the kids by boat to the island and monorail trip. Maybe the JP theme is when they are in the monorail and arrive to the gates.

Well hopefully it's just the YouTube compression, because I wasn't impressed by any if that. Of course it's only 10 minutes out of a 2 hour score.

I did like the rendition of the theme, though!

I think Giacchino's Main Theme will get a more favourable rendition elsewhere. The first piece is just about building awe for the Park itself, so I'm sure in another piece his main theme will be a more 30 second section built to be hummable. Williams themes in there are a little copy and pasted. I would like maybe only one more instance of Williams themes, but in a much more Giacchino way to fit the rest of the score.

The Second piece is so promising for the rest of the score and the strictly Giacchino moments. The Brass and Woodwinds are very interesting, and the final minute or so with the choir and woodwinds interacting with a very LOST vibe is lovely. I hope to hear more of that in the quiet moments, but I don't expect there to be many quiet moments in the film at all.

If Giacchino gives us anything close to the solemn and beautiful nature of this, then I'm sold:

My favourite moment in the first piece from Giacchino is actually a very short moment from 1:07 to 1:16. Definitely feeling the majesty in that.

I still can't understand what's wrong with those high-pitched trumpets.... Too many players playing the same note? Bad mixing? Could someone like Sharky or Pilgrim explain it to me? He had the best trumpet players in the world in Incredibles and it showed, and I'm not saying these highly trained Hollywood musicians are less talented, but still I can't understand it.

It's a shame the park is not Jurassic park, and not part of the same company. I would have loved a score based on Williams themes like speed racer, MI:III... Here we will just have a few straightforward renditions. I would have liked reworkings of the old themes like in Operation genesis.

But well, i cant complain since it's Giacchino, using Williams themes, not ditching it for a new reboot.

I can't wait to listen to the full CD, anyway!

I hope they make a new trilogy!

It sounds perfectly acceptable...just regular movie music without much character but at least (enough for a lot of people) it has a 100-piece orchestra. Giacchino's simpleton rhythmizations drive me crazy, though.

In-fucking-deed.

In-fucking-deed indeed.

Sounds really good at first, but then decides to fall back to typical present time idiosyncracies. Second cue fares a bit better.

I am not terribly impressed by the preview tracks. It does sound a bit samey with Gia's other output this year.

I still can't understand what's wrong with those high-pitched trumpets.... Too many players playing the same note? Bad mixing? Could someone like Sharky or Pilgrim explain it to me? He had the best trumpet players in the world in Incredibles and it showed, and I'm not saying these highly trained Hollywood musicians are less talented, but still I can't understand it.

I don't hear anything wrong with them....

And of course this isn't a good representation of the mix, guys. It's obviously crap quality.

Still like what I'm hearing!

"As the Jurassic World Turns" is nice, liking Giacchino's arrangement of Williams' theme. The second cue sounds like Giacchino is channeling Williams in places.

It all sounds ok and competent. But I need to hear the entire thing to make up my mind.

Karol

Ditto.

But I hope it will end up as something more than mere competent.

Chronological tracklist as posted by the host, David Garland, in the Comments:

Tomorrowland- Pin Ultimate Experience- Sphere and LoathingThe Lost World: Jurassic Park- Welcome Mr. T-RexJurassic World- As The Jurassic World Turns- The Dimophodon Shuffle- Bury the HatchlingInside Out- Abstract Thought- Chasing Down Sadness- Bundle Of JoyTomorrowland- Electric Dreams

For anyone who can't wait for the podcast...

Hmm. Mixed thoughts here.

The opening 30 seconds are disappointing, especially that awfully crude and amateurish bassoon/clarinet line. On the other hand, that following fanfaric passage plays to Gia's strengths as a composer and is... surprisingly moving. This is of course outstays its welcome due to lack of rhythmic interest, cueing a shoehorned statement of William's Island Fanfare.

Everything from 5:30 to the end is hair-brained and lacking any innate musical integrity (I'm guessing this is "Untitled Track"--a suitably anonymous title for anonymous underscore). There are surface parallels to some of Williams's tropes, but none of the dense motivic interpolation that holds his cues together, even if said those said motivs only appear in one cue.

Another thing: why does the orchestra sound so tiny? Barring a few contemporary samples, the production here sounds more dated than JURASSIC PARK's.

It's not called "Untitled track" on the CD, its called "The Dimophodon Shuffle"

Spot on Sharky. As you say, that passage preceding Williams' fanfare (which is very much Williams + lame Giacchino ostinato) is actually rather moving, just wish Giacchino didn't have to supplement each of his more promising moments with his mundane rhythmic ostinati.

And something about the brass, among other things, gives the impression of a small ensemble.

I'm hoping its just because its either an amateur FM recording or was taken from the compressed digital stream, then being further compressed for youtube, making it sound like that.

Iwataki made STID and Dawn of the POTA sound great!

It's not called "Untitled track" on the CD, its called "The Dimophodon Shuffle"

Both Dimorphodon Shuffle and Bury The Hatchling (which was mentioned as another track that played) apparently? I think Bury The Hatchling starts at around 7:50. Because that's when it turns into what I am pretty sure is the Indominus motif. Which can also be heard in this clip:

Looking forward to hearing more of the 70 person church choir that Giacchino says he used. Interesting that he's taking a Jurassic Park film in a religious direction.

I'm hoping its just because its either an amateur FM recording or was taken from the compressed digital stream, then being further compressed for youtube, making it sound like that.

Iwataki made STID and Dawn of the POTA sound great!

And yet it doesn't sound like the normal Iwataki that you hear with Goldenthal, for example. I'm convinced Giacchino wants to emulate the sound of the music that fuels his nostalgia: jazz and big band records, and golden/silver age film scores with bone dry acoustics that shrink the sonic impression the orchestra makes. Except that sound wasn't deliberate then, and so being deliberate about it now has messy results.

This new featurette seems to include the new recording of the JP theme at the beginning, which they then edit into the use of the JP Island theme that we heard on the radio sample. I think its the new recording because there seems to be a bigger use of choir:

This new featurette seems to include the new recording of the JP theme at the beginning, which they then edit into the use of the JP Island theme that we heard on the radio sample. I think its the new recording because there seems to be a bigger use of choir:

Sounds pretty bad.

Really glad Giacchino isn't scoring The Force Awakens.

I think I still prefer Stephen Schutze's score for OPERATION GENESIS.

It never tries to be atonal, and that's probably a good thing.

I rank this 3rd on the JP scores. Just behind Williams' works.

It's hard to believe that Operation Genesis sounds like it's got the bigger orchestra.

It was the Melboune symphony orchestra. So the orchestras are about the same size?

the raptors at 0:46 have a very animatronic skin look. (and well in the still photo of the video i thought those were animatronic) The CGI here looks better somehow.