Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Rise of the apes: how Rogue One's strange birth lays bare Hollywood's imagination drought

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jan/04/rogue-one-hollywood-imagination-drought-star-wars?CMP=fb_gu

Funny article. I like how it mentions "Trump era bleakness" though the film was made before there even was a Trump era. :P

It seems you've got "copying what came before" on the one hand and "reinventing the wheel over and over" on the other side.

Ideally you'd want to be somewhere in the middle, since either end is either completely uncreative or a complete waste of time.

Especially when you deliberately want to replicate "the feel of a war movie", I certainly understand looking at other such films to see how things were done there.

And isn't that what George Lucas did on the original Star Wars film as well? That one was pretty well-received, if I recall correctly.... :sarcasm:

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Mid-budget films are too risky!

Who would to watch a movie that isn't "the most expensive movie ever made yet!"?

Funnily enough, I think studio execs would agree with you. ;)

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I wish we could have more mid-budget films being made. Too many 200 million dollar films.

Karol

When mid-budget films become hits, their sequels turn into 200 million dollar films

(See: The Fast and the Furious)

Hey!  Here's an article that explains that these two shots were never in any cut of the movie:

oc4dymuj4efdgaameoc1.gif (636×266)  

gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAAAAACH5BAEKAAEAL

gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAAAAACH5BAEKAAEALnpqijcsoevztpyb3rnxt.jpg (1000×419)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-the-rogue-one-trailers-most-iconic-shot-never-appea-1790910745

I love it when trailers (especially teasers) don't feature much footage from the film!

Like those old Godzilla 1998 teasers that featured nothing from the film and were better than the film ended up  being!

This is pretty hilarious:

If I hadn't known it was coming I probably would have thought the theater system had malfunctioned and skipped ahead. 

• 4 weeks later...

TFA's blu ray came out on Tuesday April 5th so Rogue One coming out late March (Probalby Tuesday March 28th) makes total sense.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

i thought the palm trees were filmed on location...

They did do on location shooting in the Maldives, but clearly not everything was shot there.

Makes sense that the explosion-heavy stuff would have to be in a studio environment. 

36 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

i don't care about the lack of music featurette: what I found more disappointing is the lack of deleted scenes (that was to be expected, but that's a shame nonetheless).

Wait, there are no deleted scenes? Didn't realize. That is disappointing. 

The only reason I want to see deleted scenes is if they would have greatly changed the direction of the narrative.  The Force Awakens' (and most of the original trilogy's as well) were useless.

They'll probably save them for the Blu-Ray 3D release next Christmas.

Like with TFA.

(and even then, it's doubtful we'll get to know exactly what the third act was originally supposed to look like)

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The thing is: with many movies, the home media releases feature the most boring deleted scenes, leaving the exciting ones out for some odd reason.

So we get short bits like "Rey Opens The Door", "Finn Drinks Blue Milk" and whatnots on the Blu-Ray while scenes like "Phasma And Poe Dogfight", "Rey Talks With Qui-Gon Jinn's spirit" and "Ren Sees Anakin's Force Ghost" remain unreleased!

But were these More Exciting ideas ever filmed?  And if so, were effects completed or even started?  If it's just something that was brainstormed, or in an earlier draft, it wouldn't be able to be included.  And if it was just people acting against greenscreen without effects (such as a dogfight), it also wouldn't be worth watching.

Finishing the special effects for deleted scenes (as Lucas did in Episode I) would actually make such scenes watchable, but I'm sure it cost a fortune that just didn't need to be spent to sell DVDs.  Lucas abandoned that by the time Episode II rolled around.

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

They'll probably save them for the Blu-Ray 3D release next Christmas.

This time around, we're getting a 3D Blu-ray on day one.  Doesn't mean there won't be some other weird reissue in six months, but 3D probably won't be the buzz.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It's Disney! They have more than enough money!

They HAVE the money, but why spend it?

They'll sell 5 million copies of the Rogue One Blu-ray.  If they spent hundreds of thousands (MILLIONS?) of dollars on completing special effects work and action sequences, they'll still sell 5 million copies.  Where is the return on investment?  The people who are likely to care about pristine finished deleted scenes, are the same people who are guaranteed sales anyway.

New Line wouldn't shell out for new LOTR documentaries made of largely preexisting footage (a much cheaper prospect).  Gone are the days when special features sell a release.  Nobody needs to be convinced that DVD/Blu-ray is better than VHS anymore, and more people are moving away from physical media entirely.

8 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

The second release did, but it's not unlike Abrams to provide one.  He's part of a dying breed it seems.

Rian Johnson's been big on them too so hopefully. He actually started a neat thing with The Brothers Bloom and Looper where he recorded a commentary and put it up for free download while the movie was still in theaters so people could go back to listen during a second viewing if they wanted.

Would be cool if he did one for Ep8. I seem to remember him saying on Twitter that he'd like to do it...here:

Yeah, he's also had a tradition of posting his screenplays on his website for fans, and he was less optimistic about that for obvious reasons.

That one's probably not happening, but hopefully he can get an OK on the in-theater commentary, maybe a couple weeks after the release or something. That'd be great.

For some reason I've been too lazy to offer my thoughts on this film until now. There are a few general things I want to note.

First, it didn't completely draw me in emotionally. Star Wars rarely does, to be honest. La La Land and Titanic, for example, both drew me in emotionally much more.

The appeal of Star Wars for me has always really been other things. For example, the planets. It was an extremely big "Hell yeah!" moment for me when the incredible Ring of Kafrene was introduced to a awesome Giacchino fanfare (yes, as I've said, I adore this score). I loved the canopies and I really thought "so prequel-y!" (I do love how cool the prequel locations were.)

Jedha was also great. I loved the Middle Eastern-inspired canopy thing there too. Although even by then, I think I remember the film just dragging too much. 

It's really incredible to see the kind of effects work they can do for locations today. Even back when they were making the prequels, I feel like what Lucas really envisioned just wasn't quite there. Many locations, however awesome, looked a little cartoon-y. That's not the case anymore. These worlds were beautifully rendered and really showed how far visual effects have come. I think now is the time when George Lucas' true vision of how Star Wars should have looked in an ideal world is finally being realized. 

Unfortunately, Scarif came across almost as "too bright" to me, almost cliched, somehow. I also really didn't get much of a kick out of the drawn-out final battle. It was likely due in part to me having a headache at that particular time, of course (I don't think the movie caused the headache, I think I was just fatigued).

I didn't get any sort of kick out of the Darth Vader scene either. Frankly, people yelling "Help, please!" before getting choked to death is just disturbing, not fun. It was a perfectly fine scene, of course, but it didn't "make the movie" for me or anything.

Parts of the film really reminded me of "Full Metal Jacket"'s climax -- albeit a Disney-fied version. People just walking one by one into a death trap and dropping all over the place... You didn't feel anything about the deaths by the end. 

I must say that I was a little disappointed that this film kind of got rid of the "heist spy story" thing and went with the traditional "saving the galaxy in a big epic struggle with bittersweet family episodes" thing. I thought that the Jyn/Galen plot did add some needed emotional weight to the story, and the terrific Catalyst novel I read recently provided all sorts of awesome new context, I really do kind of wish that it had been more like Mission Impossible in Star Wars (IIRC the art book says that Knoll's original concept had a little more of that). That could have been much more engaging, methinks (MI is always very fun for me), and would have brought something decidedly new to Star Wars. Perhaps the Han Solo film will do that. Here's hoping. 

On the topic of Kafrene and Jedha: This really reminded me that the Crime/Exotic City concept from TFA is probably the most influential concept of the sequel trilogy never to actually appear in full form in a canon work (at least so far). 

I elaborate on this in the Star Wars general thread, as I thought the post might be too long otherwise.