The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Another superhero movie as long as a Biblical or a Peter Jackson epic:

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Joins Pantheon of Long Superhero Pics at Two Hours and 41 Minutes

The sequel will be the second-longest title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe behind 'Avengers: Endgame,' but it's notably shorter than DC's 2022 'The Batman,' which ran nearly three hours.

Question: If I want to watch No Way Home, do I really have to see Spider-Man 2 and 3 first? Will NWH make sense on its own, within the MCU? I'm trying to avoid Maguire's terrible Spider-Man depictions as much as I can, but I would watch them if NWH would not make any sense otherwise.

Seeing Spider-man 2 will help to understand the Dr. Octopus character, as Tobey interacts with him way more in NWH than he does with Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin for some reason

I feel it's maybe a little unfair to dismiss wanting to watch the sequels based on how you weren't too keen on the lead, since there's plenty to enjoy about both sequels (particularly with the villains and especially the music). Plus, NWH is likely to contain said portrayal in some form anyway, so you might as well appreciate the differences between Tobey then and now.

I’ll be the contrarian.  While your viewing would definitely be enhanced by watching all of the older movies (except for Amazing Spider-man 2, which should never be watched by anyone ever), it’s not a barrier for entry.  They explain enough.

On 30/09/2022 at 6:37 PM, bollemanneke said:

Question: If I want to watch No Way Home, do I really have to see Spider-Man 2 and 3 first? Will NWH make sense on its own, within the MCU? I'm trying to avoid Maguire's terrible Spider-Man depictions as much as I can, but I would watch them if NWH would not make any sense otherwise.

It will make sense. There were these other Spider-Man movies. They had other bad guys. They don't really lean on "You HAVE to know this stuff!"

I hadn't seen ASM2 before I saw NWH and I followed it. It actually made a little bit LESS sense after I saw ASM2.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

You know, I was wondering the other day if I would care that much about seeing this in the theaters. Well, that answers that question: Yes.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

(except for Amazing Spider-man 2, which should never be watched by anyone ever)

Agreed. That movie makes Raimi's Spiderman 3 look like a masterful superhero movie in comparison. 

Either way, the viewing experience of No Way Home is better when you have watched all the Spidey movies that came before, including the three Raimis, the two Webbs (sigh) and, naturally, the previous two starring Holland.

Agreed.

None of these are required to watch in order to enjoy NWH. If you only saw the movie they’re referencing a couple of days ago, it’s not like you’re going to get a big nostalgia kick out of it. But whatever. It’s fun to be in on the joke when the movie gets going.

Michael Waldron (Looki, Dr. Strange 2) to write Avengers: Secret Wars for Marvel Studios

Avengers: Kang Dynasty is being penned by Jeff Loveness (Rick and Morty, Ant-Man 3) and directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (Short Term 12, Shang-Chi)

I guess there's two ways this series can go: (1) spend the whole or most of the season in Westview showing how Agatha breaks out of the spell that Wanda cast on her or (2) have Agatha break the spell early on and spend most of the season on an unrelated story.

Although they could do sort of a combo where the season intercuts between her in Westview and flashbacks of a separate story and then end with her breaking the spell.

On 03/10/2022 at 7:56 PM, Edmilson said:

Agreed. That movie makes Raimi's Spiderman 3 look like a masterful superhero movie in comparison. 

Either way, the viewing experience of No Way Home is better when you have watched all the Spidey movies that came before, including the three Raimis, the two Webbs (sigh) and, naturally, the previous two starring Holland.

I hadn't watched Amazing Spiderman 2 as I didn't like the first one at all and I didn't have any problem to catch up with the stories and characters in NWH.

Actually, all the Spiderman movies of the MCU, Homecoming, Far from Home and No Way Home have no impact on the overall storylines. They can be skipped easily.NWH was just nice to see Tobey Maguire in that role again. That was worth it. 

I want to see a Coven Of Chaos be a story that cuts between Agatha now and Agatha in the years between the events flasback scene and the evemts of WandaVision.

And Lizzie Olsen has to be in this. You can't have a series titled 'Coven Of Chaos' and not have The Scarlet Witch (the embodiment of choas magic) not in there.

How cool would it be to get either another stabd off or a teamup between the characters.

Agatha won't be a full on villain going forward but more of a supporting character who will pop up in other places. Which Kathryn Hahn deserves very much. This series is one of my most anticipated of the upcoming projects

Yes, I agree this is easily the weakest MCU.... anything, yet made.  And yet, I still find myself at least marginally engaged just by it being in this world I'm fully invested in.  So that's something I guess.

Interesting!  If I had to do a mega-ranking, I’d place this over a few of the other MCU shows at this point, and a handful of the movies.  

Watched season 1 of Daredevil, which I thought was pretty good.  I think the suit from the finale is kinda cheesy and boy was I tired of five-minute long bonecrunching beat-em-up scenes by the end, but that’s Dark Gritty Comic Books for you.  Great characterization of Kingpin.

The comedy feels very tired and try-hard, and this is coming from someone who generally finds the comedy of the MCU to be on a spectrum of tolerable to charming.  Plus, the pop needle-drops are awful.

I loved loved loved Ms. Marvel, thought Hawkeye and Falcon&Winter Soldier were great, loved the first 7 episodes of WandaVision and was massively disappointed by the final 2 episodes, and thought Loki and Moon Knight were dissapointments that also squandered good actors with bad writing.  Loki at least feels like season 2 could right the ship, but I can't say I'm excited to see more Moon Knight really.

She-Hulk is lacking in some of the magic that all the other shows had in varying degrees.  It just kind of comes and goes each week without leaving much impact, and the pacing is all over the place

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Interesting!  If I had to do a mega-ranking, I’d place this over a few of the other MCU shows at this point, and a handful of the movies.  

Watched season 1 of Daredevil, which I thought was pretty good.  I think the suit from the finale is kinda cheesy and boy was I tired of five-minute long bonecrunching beat-em-up scenes by the end, but that’s Dark Gritty Comic Books for you.  Great characterization of Kingpin.

Season 3 is fantastic IMHO.

Looking forward to getting there!  I’m watching them in release order, so I started a (re)watch of Jessica Jones S1 this morning.  JJ S1 was great, and also the only Netflix Marvel season we ever bothered to watch.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Looking forward to getting there!  I’m watching them in release order, so I started a (re)watch of Jessica Jones S1 this morning.  JJ S1 was great, and also the only Netflix Marvel season we ever bothered to watch.

Ooof I pity you when you get to Iron Fist S1.

She-Hulk episode 8 is by far the best episode of the entire series.

Everything worked for me. And I kinda wished the whole show was more like this. This episode was written by someone who hasn't written for the show before, so maybe that is the difference.

I like episodes 1 - 5. 6 & 7 were a waste. This one was great and hope the finale is as well.

And I keep finding it strange that Titania was used so little. She is She-Hulk's biggest adversary in the comics.