'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

I'm thinking the film seems chockfull of characters and ideas and I don't know how that'll affect the thematic material.

For example, on the bad guy side of things, it would be cool if this New Order, the Adam Driver character, and the Gwendoline Christie character had different themes (I'm picturing something along the lines of the droid march from TPM), but in practice maybe there won't be that much space for it?

I don't know. I want loads of new themes taking center stage, but I don't know if it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I feel like I want like ten distinctive hummable themes and cameos from previous themes and I'll just be disappointed in that regard.

Or also a Duel of the Fates situation can happen if the film calls for it. Music for an event/scene that gets foreshadowed before.

I would prefer a few distinclive, hummable themes rather dozens of hard to define LOTR like leitmotifs.

It is a more distinct possibility that Williams will add a few new themes and motifs to the existing glossary like he did with the Prequels. This time around there is also more of a chance for old themes to come back as all the old gang is making at least cameos. But since there are so many new story elements and knowing also Williams' interest in not retreading old things, he might, if JJ allows it, focus more on the new ideas.

For example, on the bad guy side of things, it would be cool if this New Order, the Adam Driver character, and the Gwendoline Christie character had different themes (I'm picturing something along the lines of the droid march from TPM), but in practice maybe there won't be that much space for it?

I suppose you think that was clever?!

I suppose you think that was clever?!

Lol I hadn't noticed that

Peter Boyer could pull this off.

Sorry ol' Johnny has called dibs on Star Wars for perpetuity.

Here is a better rip of the second trailer music from the surround channels (not my rip):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9NHlKeHNpZlNodjg/view?usp=sharing

Listening to this, I think it is quite obvious that this is either:

Completely new* Williams music recorded for the trailer

Completely new* music written and recorded for the trailer.

New music written and recorded for the trailer with tracked music at the end with new reverb to make it sound like the first trailer music.

It sounds like the same room as the previous trailer music to me.

*New as in intended for the trailers specifically

The more I listen to it, the more I think it's new by Williams with some beefing up for the purposes to make it sound more "trailer" like. I've compared the OT bits to the original recordings and they are not the same, even the finale "Empire" cue.

The news said that the Star Wars theme wouldn't be featured. It didn't say anything about other themes from the franchise

24Now someonefun124 (also known as Regular Poster), one of the Twelve, was not with the posters when Stefan came.

25So the other posters told him, "We have seen evidence of a new recording!" But he said to them, "Unless I see the unedited post and put my finger where the screenshot is, and put my hand onto Williams' sketches, I will not believe."

26A week later the posters were in the forum again, and someonefun124 was with them. Though the post was edited, Stefan came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

27Then he said to someonefun124, "Put your finger here; see the screenshot. Reach out your hand and put it onto John's handwritten sketches. Stop doubting and believe."

28someonefun124 said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

29Then Stefan told him, "Because you have seen the screenshot, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

30Stefan performed many other signs in the presence of his fellow posters, which are not recorded in this book.

31But these are written that you may believe that Williams wrote new music for the trailer, the work of Abrams, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

I'm an Atheist. Please stop this nonsense

No, to be sure, laughter will remain the common man's recreation.

54901.jpg

I'm expecting Williams to employ a chorus more frequently, like with the Prequels. It's become a staple of his modern sound, although I found it far more effective in his 80s scores.